The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #241 of 246
Got mine a few days ago. They're modded, and I just finished replacing the cable with my own, with mini XLR fueled adapter dongles. Running them with the Schiit Valhalla 2 and Assemblage DAC-1. I plan on getting a new, solid state amp with a better power output (probably Asgard 3) soon, so we'll see how that affects them. One problem I ran into immediately was the headband was bent far too small to make contact with the top of my head (only the sides contacted my head), and the bottoms of the pads were a good inch off my head, making them monstrously bright. After some bending, they fit quite well now, and the FR is completely fixed.

I'm very impressed by them, they have the flattest response of my headphones, and the best technical capability. They have a treble characteristic similar to AMT tweeters; flat, extended, clean, and fast, and never gets fatiguing or sounds etched because of that. Their bass extends down very low, very cleanly, and this has made me want to put more low bass and infrasonic elements in my songs as a little treat for people with good speakers/headphones. Their midrange is the best thing about them imo, they get the mid's tonal balance spot on, and it's smooth as heck. Their bass to midrange transition is the smoothest I've ever heard, too. Due to the flatness, overall cleanliness/low distortion, even when monitoring at high volumes, they don't leave the ears fuzzy after prolonged sessions, and don't burn you out despite the amount of detail they render. Soundstage and imaging are, of course, still limited by the fact that these are, in fact, headphones, but they project a large headstage and sounds are sharply placed. Not the largest stage I've heard from headphones, but better than average.

I've mostly been using them to mix and master with, and anything I do on them translates flawlessly to my monitors, so I don't feel the need to only check with headphones and use the monitors 90% of the time. Actually, the SS-100 has quite a bit better bass extension than my monitors, so now I'm working mostly on the SS-100 and checking on the monitors. As expected of something this flat and technically capable, they've worked very well for any genre of music I've put through them. Sonically, they're my new golden standard.

Attachments

• ss-100.jpg
    ss-100.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #242 of 246
The pair Izzy has was my spare unit; I performed the sound-related modifications for him. Mostly the same as I run on my personal pair with a slight difference in the internal cavity damping.

SS100MB.png
The end measurement result from my custom flat-plate measurement system. Some very slight upper midrange bump reminescent of staxen but nothing particularly major.

Subjectively, his sounded slightly bassier than my pair; mine had slightly smoother treble.

His pair ended up having better matching than mine! :triumph:

Oct 9, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #243 of 246
Thinking of parting ways with these for a little while. A friend of mine seems interested in them. They would be missed but since we (Izzy and I) have 2 now it feels somewhat greedy to hold onto both.

Time will tell...

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #244 of 246
Hi there, new here as I just discovered these. I don't know if anyone will see this but I found a set of the SS- 100s in their original box at a thrift store that was closing down for good. After scouring the internet this place is all I can find on them. The cable is cut however, just near where the input would have been. Does anyone know if it's possible to attach a new one or do I have to re cable the whole thing?

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #245 of 246
Hi there, new here as I just discovered these. I don't know if anyone will see this but I found a set of the SS- 100s in their original box at a thrift store that was closing down for good. After scouring the internet this place is all I can find on them. The cable is cut however, just near where the input would have been. Does anyone know if it's possible to attach a new one or do I have to re cable the whole thing?
recabling is always possible but the easier option may be to extend the current cable with an adaptor instead of hard mounting a new cable all together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back