The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #226 of 246
  Maybe somebody want to sell their headphones...

Not a chance. I wouldn't let mine go for less than $800 either. Mine's in extremely good shape and modified though.

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #228 of 246

What exactly modified in yours headphones ?
If its in good shape and also modified, I can throw $800 on them. Do you want to sell them ?
Can you post a pictures, please !

The question is what to buy as an alternative to SS100? I have them I love them and I also know their sonic limitations...

What an alterative?

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #230 of 246
The question is what to buy as an alternative to SS100? I have them I love them and I also know their sonic limitations...

What an alterative?

Having never heard an SS-100, but only seen it's measurements, I can only guess that an alternative would be to look at other planar headphones.
Specifically Hifiman which seems to offer similar price/performance.

(I own HE-500 and NAD RP18 - a close relative of the SS-100)

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #231 of 246
The problem with most of the new planars compared to the T50 variants is the treble response.

All of the T50 variants have extremely smooth and controlled upper range response, while most (if not all) of the HiFiMAN offerings have some form of tizz or lack of linearity in the upper mids/lower treble. The LCD-2 has some peakage in that area as well. 

The new model planars have measurably superior bass extension, but modding the T50 variants properly can give you even better bass than they have to offer.

I have a NAD RP18 Mylar I'll be posting up on the classifieds soon so keep an eye out for that. I'm sending it to Tyll first though, for measurements.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #233 of 246
noooope lmao

I just got my SS-100 back from tyll, it measures slightly N-shaped but otherwise very good, I'm gonna make some pads of my own for it and try to get rid of the hump into 2kHz and post results soon.

(Keep an eye out for the measurement PDFs when tyll posts the March update)

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #235 of 246
Myst Ortophones maybe= 80mm round style perforated magnet drivers?

other than that.. but SS-100 is bar magnets isn't it.

Kennerton Odin and the other couple of Myst things possibly.

Still nothing looks as good

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #236 of 246
Myst Ortophones maybe= 80mm round style perforated magnet drivers?

other than that.. but SS-100 is bar magnets isn't it.

Kennerton Odin and the other couple of Myst things possibly.

Still nothing looks as good

The SS-100 actually has the slotted disc magnets like the T30. Its the only T50 variant that has them.

Very interested in the Odin and Ortophones, but the other myst offerings aren't very good (tyll has measurements of the Izophones 60)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back