The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #91 of 246
Rediscovering topic.

Actually listening SS-100 transducers on my OTL Espressivo. Sound in very romantic, nor particulary high definition but vocals are full of life. Soundstage is rich, not boring presentation at all. But there is a taste of nostalgia in sound of these headphones. Presently headphones go toward clarity, fast and so on. But these headphones are rather romantic painting in presentation... Has also a bit of nice coloration. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #92 of 246
  Rediscovering topic.

Actually listening SS-100 transducers on my OTL Espressivo. Sound in very romantic, nor particulary high definition but vocals are full of life. Soundstage is rich, not boring presentation at all. But there is a taste of nostalgia in sound of these headphones. Presently headphones go toward clarity, fast and so on. But these headphones are rather romantic painting in presentation... Has also a bit of nice coloration. 

I found those qualities made for very easy long listening sessions. It's incredibly good with female vocals and is very easy on the ears.
The sweaty leatherette ear pads however, not so much.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #93 of 246
finally got one of these, ***

took three years and $550 but I got it

seller should be shipping it on monday

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #95 of 246
Wow. These are REALLY good.

No seriously. Christ. These are amazing. I think there was something majorly wrong with my RP18, because these are better by a massive margin. Granted, I didn't try modding the RP18, but as of now I don't even want to try modding the SS-100. The RP18 was really, really bright and etched sounding, and these are the inverse: smooth, succulent, lush and clean. They're also the first planar I've heard that doesn't sound incredibly dull and dark, but does maintain the effortless finesse to the signature and presentation that planars are known for; these are SO seductive and inviting. The separation and purity of tone is absolutely astounding. One thing that surprised me is their bass: these can slam quite well. The RP18 was not capable of this.

These seem to like high volumes quite a bit... I think these want more current than the O2 can push. They sound a little veiled, but in the way the HD600 does (tonality, as opposed to lack of resolving capability). This might prove bothersome later but I doubt it. They're comfortable, but they do have a slight fit issue: the pads don't seal at the bottom. Honestly, this is more of a plus imo as it makes the pads breathe better, but it can be annoying because they slide around. I will say that I wasn't as impressed with the build quality as I thought I'd be, but they're definitely not poorly built by any means.

Either way they sound just as good as my DR-Z7 as is, with a mildly different set of colorations and different strengths. It's a very nice little complement. The SS-100 is more immersive and lush, while the Z7 is brighter and more engaging. They otherwise sound shockingly similar. The SS-100 appears to get out of the way better, but the Z7 is still really fun to listen to (and probably won't ever stop being so).

I'm keeping both of them. Forever.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #96 of 246
Everytime I give headphones to compare to my wife and my father they always keep SS100 longer on head than other headphones. And they say these are perfect for long period listening sessions. And of course more classy and smooth than other headphones I give them to try (even th900 or hd800)

Cheers and congrats 

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #97 of 246
What are the pad measurements?
 Was just thinking if you needed softer more plush ones the Shure 550 ones are great lower profile with a smaller opening, just depends on specs. Something to consider.

PICS PICS PICS  after a bit :)
Were they everything you were expecting, or something far beyond?

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #98 of 246
Wow. These are REALLY good.

No seriously. Christ. These are amazing. I think there was something majorly wrong with my RP18, because these are better by a massive margin. Granted, I didn't try modding the RP18, but as of now I don't even want to try modding the SS-100. The RP18 was really, really bright and etched sounding, and these are the inverse: smooth, succulent, lush and clean. They're also the first planar I've heard that doesn't sound incredibly dull and dark, but does maintain the effortless finesse to the signature and presentation that planars are known for; these are SO seductive and inviting. The separation and purity of tone is absolutely astounding. One thing that surprised me is their bass: these can slam quite well. The RP18 was not capable of this.

These seem to like high volumes quite a bit... I think these want more current than the O2 can push. They sound a little veiled, but in the way the HD600 does (tonality, as opposed to lack of resolving capability). This might prove bothersome later but I doubt it. They're comfortable, but they do have a slight fit issue: the pads don't seal at the bottom. Honestly, this is more of a plus imo as it makes the pads breathe better, but it can be annoying because they slide around. I will say that I wasn't as impressed with the build quality as I thought I'd be, but they're definitely not poorly built by any means.

Either way they sound just as good as my DR-Z7 as is, with a mildly different set of colorations and different strengths. It's a very nice little complement. The SS-100 is more immersive and lush, while the Z7 is brighter and more engaging. They otherwise sound shockingly similar. The SS-100 appears to get out of the way better, but the Z7 is still really fun to listen to (and probably won't ever stop being so).

I'm keeping both of them. Forever.

Eugh, engaging and lush, really wish these weren't made of unobtainium so I could find a pair... Thanks for the impressions takato, really hope I manage to try these out someday.

Just out of curiosity, would you personally say that they were worth the rather large price? (I understand that's completely subjective but I'm curious either way)

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #99 of 246
  What are the pad measurements?
 Was just thinking if you needed softer more plush ones the Shure 550 ones are great lower profile with a smaller opening, just depends on specs. Something to consider.

PICS PICS PICS  after a bit :)
Were they everything you were expecting, or something far beyond?

Far beyond, for sure. I expected the bright disgusting mess of my RP18. 

I was always able to appreciate the timbral qualities of planars, the way they render details and placement is so very raw and pure, and astoundingly realistic. However, every planar I've tried up until now had a way of sounding incredibly dull and dark after a short period of time due to what I can only assume were problems with the frequency response. This "lo-fi" coloration was actually intensified by the smooth timbral qualities of the drive tech. But the SS-100 is different. It does the smoothness without the dullness, if that makes sense. It just sounds "right". 

The RP18 Mylar I had, though... ****. That thing didn't even sound like a planar. The bass was shallow, the upper mids through treble were ridiculously erratic, and the soundstage was nonexistent. The fact that these two headphones share design aspects is mind boggling.

The pads are much smaller than the T50 variants; SE-700 pads are the same size/shape. I don't have a ruler handy right now but I'd say roughly 2.75 - 3.0" OD, 1.25 - 1.5" ID, about 1/4" deep; very flat yet very soft. They get hot and uncomfortable quite quickly; the biggest flaw of this headphone is comfort even though they aren't heavy or clampy at all. I might try the SE-700 pads if I'm feeling adventurous, but for now these are staying stock.

And yes, pictures will come. Tomorrow most likely. I considered renting a DSLR to photograph these, but unfortunately I don't have the money right now... perhaps later.

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #101 of 246
  I've always liked the look of these cans. How is the deep bass?

Surprisingly: superb. I'd like to get these measured before I make any outlandish statements, but some modded Fostex planars have close to Audez'e bass extension with tighter control, and I would not be surprised if these are much of the same. A lot of people believe that the SS-100 is very well dampened in stock form, better than any other large driver Fostex headphone, and judging by the sound I agree. 

I'd really like to hear these with a Liquid Gold or maybe Ragnarok. I let it slip that these need a lot of current to a previous seller; he subsequently tried it out of his LAu and then decided he'd keep it...

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #103 of 246
Here's some pictures; aside from all the grime and tarnish, which I cleaned off with rubbing alcohol, these are immaculate.

Jan 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #105 of 246
Hello everybody :)
I'm rookie in here, but I can consider myself as an audiophile for a long time... Dear forum members, I'm looking for Sansui SS-100 right now, would like to buy for a reasonable price. Is anybody here want to sell their headphones? Sounds strange, I know. But anyway, maybe somebody is looking for some money also... Here is my e-mal for your messages: rgu2002@inbox.ru

Users who are viewing this thread

Back