The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Jan 2, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #61 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that sources with warm sound singature or slight roll-off in mids / hights are really great companion for these cans.
I've tried them with following DACs CEC DX51, DIY NOSDAC TDA1543 and EMU 0404|USB.
The last one is so far IMHO the best for SS-100. You don't loose high details and air but sound is wormer. I guess it gets the sound towards T50v1. Unfortunately depth of sundstage on EMU is slightly reduced comparing to the others.

Just curious, what's a rolled off mids?

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #63 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by aasat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ortho sisters

They have nice taste in headphones it seems!
dt880smile.png

But the one on the left seems happier
wink.gif

And the first lady ortho fans! all the ortho thread are guys.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #65 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, what's a rolled off mids?

I meant upper part of midrage. In othere words the headpones sound amazing with powerful tube amps, where bass is strong and well controlled and hights are really detailed but without any unnecessary extentions.

Sisters are cool.
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the one on the left seems happier
wink.gif

I think that the on the right is just realised she's got a real piece of art on her head and she tried to smile accordingly - like Mona Lisa
atsmile.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #66 of 246
hi i'm new to this whole headphone addiction thing, and this is my first post, so hello to all, and thanks for the bombardment of info that i never thought i would be so into. Anyway, i just snagged an ss-100 on ebay under the radar when i was watching another pair. this is my first pair of orthos so i don't have much to compare to, but wow! i am pretty blown away! I've been listening for about 12 hours straight, and they are getting progressively better. I am hearing all my music again for the first time. I didn't know music could sound like this, i can hear way more detail in live instruments, and effects, and the bass seems more balanced than my other phones, despite the fact i primarily use bass heavy ones for djing. i was wondering if anyone has replaced the cable on a pair of these? mine is a little beat cosmetically, and i would like to try some solid silver wire because i probably wont take these out of the studio ever, and it might sound better. i read somewhere these are a pain to take apart, but wasn't sure they were talking about the driver itself or the whole thing. i have fixed a few old phones and am pretty confident in my shop skills, but i really don't want to do anything bad to these as i am pretty much in lust with them.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #68 of 246
I hope it was a Head-Fier that snatched up the shiny set of SS-100s that went on Ebay this week for a $50 Buy-It-Now price.
:)

Aug 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #70 of 246
Sadly, no. I trashed the link...in disgust.

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #71 of 246
I've read your whole thread now - really interesting! As a bit of a Sansui fan, I really appreciate if you keep those ebay-links coming :) I'm seriously on the lookout for a pair.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #72 of 246
Still holding on to your SS-100s? I will take them off your hands when you feel like making bad desicions :)

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #73 of 246

Quote:
Still holding on to your SS-100s? I will take them off your hands when you feel like making bad desicions :)

Who wouldn't? **** I want a pair of these, sooo baad...xD

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #75 of 246
Is the sound of these comparable to any modern headphone? I'm wondering if these are actually worth the high prices they go for, purely looking at sound...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back