The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 25, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3,466 of 9,165
Tera Player is on it's way! I'll get it tomorrow or the day after.
Now I'm still using my trusty iPod + iQube V3.

What are you using in its stead?

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,468 of 9,165
Jazzy, i will look it up again but my brain resists paying too much after having spent on rwak, rdb+ and various smaller goodies for portable. plus this is not only hobby i have, so saving bit here and here.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #3,469 of 9,165
Haha, yes. The more you look the more you want. That was my main reason for abstaining head-fi last year :p.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3,473 of 9,165
I decided to go for tralucent which receives highly positive responses and costs less. besides some people say T1 is smooth and has tubey sound signature. it's only amp but should be fine so far.

thanks for all suggestions, all they look very compelling but i decided to limit cost as i already spent a lot on portables. The problem is there are so many great choices with amps, mind blowong and i even did not mention fostex and portaphilo amps. This unlike with DAPs where very few good choices to pick from.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #3,474 of 9,165
Anyone have problems accessing 2x 64GB cards through USB when they're in the AK100? It seems to play from 2x 64GB cards just fine, but if I connect the AK100 to my computer via USB, it will invariably have errors on one or both cards if both are installed in the AK100. I can use each card in a separate card reader just fine.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #3,475 of 9,165
Lerx, well can be, i am not even sure if 32g will work because one usb might be not able to handle two cards at once. So this normal IMO.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3,476 of 9,165
Quote:
Anyone have problems accessing 2x 64GB cards through USB when they're in the AK100? It seems to play from 2x 64GB cards just fine, but if I connect the AK100 to my computer via USB, it will invariably have errors on one or both cards if both are installed in the AK100. I can use each card in a separate card reader just fine.

Known issue. Just eject the cards & re-insert/read them. You obviously already realized that the cards themselves are not actually faulty, it's the AK100's unreliable USB implementation... Card capacity does not have any impact on this.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #3,477 of 9,165
Grumpy, did you manage to force rwak allow reading two cards at once? I could not force my Mac read two cards from single reader.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #3,478 of 9,165
Quote:
Grumpy, did you manage to force rwak allow reading two cards at once? I could not force my Mac read two cards from single reader.

I can consistently read 2 cards on USB from the Mac via the AK100.
I found that I had to delete some image files and other files from the cards otherwise they would not read reliably on the AK100.
That combined with 1.32 seem to have cleared up a lot of the card-reading problems I had.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #3,479 of 9,165
I have some potentialy interesting observations to make about the cover art issue (size and resolution restrictions)

I don't actually think there are any restrictions. I had a mixed bag of albums that did and didn't seem to display artwork, however I noticed that some of them that did were very large, some up to 3000 x 3000 and close to 5meg in size. I decided to manually re-tag all my music using MP3tag, using the largest covers I could  find for most, averaging out at about 1200 x 1200 and around 700kb. 

Guess what... They all display fine!

Now this could be something to do with the latest firmware update to 1.32, although I didn't see any mention of it. Or it could be to do with the tagging method, as I used MP3tag for the entire lot.

Bottom line is I have about 80 or 90 albums loaded with not one cover missing.

As a test I would be more than happy to try loading a song anyone is having issues with here and see if it is just a fluke.

One downside I noticed was the scan seemed to take a LOT longer than usual, but having said that I was really pushing it with the sizes to test the limits

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3,480 of 9,165
I concur: once I fixed all my albums to display art, scanning takes _A LOT_ longer now. I have about 2200 tracks, about 85GB of music, and scanning takes almost half an hour. Thank god you can trigger it manually.

One crazy idea I had: the file format the AK100 stores its scanning database in is sqlite3. This means that, given enough effort, I could probably write a program that could scan the music from your (much, much faster) computer and write it to the AK100. Only kink in this idea is the album art seems to be stored in a separate file, whose format I haven't yet determined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back