The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,436 of 9,165
Where did you see that Audionewbi??

I'm using the Tzar 350s and I would love access to the 8khz band. I will be so happy if this is possible :)

Quote:
If you turn on the EQ it does not provide you the same customization. The bandwidth is much larger now. 

vs              

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #3,437 of 9,165
Hmmm, the volume wheel is slightly different and the inner edge of the screen looks a little bit rough around the edges. Is it an early prototype? That would be a shame if they'd originally planned for a better equaliser and simplified it at when releasing :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,438 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmmm, the volume wheel is slightly different and the inner edge of the screen looks a little bit rough around the edges. Is it an early prototype? That would be a shame if they'd originally planned for a better equaliser and simplified it at when releasing :frowning2:

Yes it is an early prototype. This picture was posted on page 3-4 of this thread. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #3,440 of 9,165
Quote:
Yes it is an early prototype. This picture was posted on page 3-4 of this thread. 

Ah, that is a shame then. They clearly planned a larger equaliser at some stage and then decided there wasn't the need. There is a bit of a bump at about 7kz on the Tzar 350s I was hoping to tame. Never mind, maybe they'll expand it again in a future firmware update. Unlikely but you never know :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,441 of 9,165
Quote:

Ah, that is a shame then. They clearly planned a larger equaliser at some stage and then decided there wasn't the need. There is a bit of a bump at about 7kz on the Tzar 350s I was hoping to tame. Never mind, maybe they'll expand it again in a future firmware update. Unlikely but you never know :)

we can always ask , I will ask them but I encourage you to do the same. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3,443 of 9,165
Quote:
Can the battery be replaced on the AK100 ? its a lot of money to pay for a player that doesnt have a removable battery.

Yes, but for many it would not be easy.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3,445 of 9,165
I installed two SANDISK ULTRA 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory cards, format them to FAT32 via an SD adapter and port, on my Mac Book Pro. At the time my AK100 was at firmware rev. 1.30. When I connected the AK100 to my MAC again, I did a disk repair on both sticks, and it did find an issue, and corrected it.The 1.32 firmware claims to have corrected a format issue. The two sticks have been tested by me extensively, within the AK100,  continuous reads and writes, and I am comftable that they are stable, and would suggest to anyone that it is a safe configuration.
I am an Electrical Engineer who works for a major computer company.
Many companies under rate their memory ports, Apple claims that a 2011 MBP can only support 8GB of RAM, yet for three years I have been running 16GB, without any defects. The underrating has to do with, how and what, the vender qualifies and tests their products. Many don't test with what is new and available, nor will they support anything they have tested. Why would they take any liability on promoting anything they have not tested? You can choose for youself, but don't be scared off, for it does work well.
For those who don't have a MAC there is a windows program called FAT32Format.exe that will let MS operating systems do over 137GB format.
I have had my AK100 for 20 days, in that time, I have used it a lot. I took it on a flight from Boston to San Diego, using my good old Etymotic ER-4s with custom fit molds. These are 100 ohms and match very well, I found the battery life was only a bit over 4.5 hours, I had the volume cranked up. I have installed a mix of HD and CD music. This week I connected my Corda 2StepDance and a Xfeed filter I built. I am very pleased with that combination and will most likely keep this configuration, until I find something better.
Most of my music is AIF and FLAC. I find the DAP to very transparent, in sound, good separation. I might mod it, but currently I don't see the need. 160GB rocks, when the microSDXC 128's come out, I will try them, if they don't work, I can always use them for something else.   

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #3,446 of 9,165
Quote:
we can always ask , I will ask them but I encourage you to do the same. 

I have just emailed them. I'll let you know if I get a response

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #3,447 of 9,165
Has anyone managed to confirm the maximum album art, file size and resolution yet? There has been much discussion of it during this thread but I wasn't sure if a maximum guaranteed standard had been confirmed.

I believe 100 x 100 and 500kb was being touted. can anyone second this, before I overhaul my music collection?

cheers  :) 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,448 of 9,165
Quote:
Has anyone managed to confirm the maximum album art, file size and resolution yet? There has been much discussion of it during this thread but I wasn't sure if a maximum guaranteed standard had been confirmed.

I believe 100 x 100 and 500kb was being touted. can anyone second this, before I overhaul my music collection?

cheers  :) 

I thought it was 500x500 with a max filesize of 100kb......

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,449 of 9,165
Mar 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #3,450 of 9,165
Not sure if this has been posted in this thread before, but it's an interesting read which may help explain the AK100 output resistor.

I do not claim to know if any of this is is true, but it sounds pretty logical to me. I am sure the more technical folks in this thread may have an opinion.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?82kf0r5kdckdcer

I have seen this paper posted in other threads before.

There's another paper he wrote about headphones and headphone amps here:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?jdpaj1r17x1sos5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back