The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #3,421 of 9,165
one question. does it make sense to update firmware WHEN your player works fine and you have no complaints? i would upgrade firmware only when i am not happy with how it works right now, but if everything is problem free then why go through update hassle? i do not think update on AK100 is a must and since they not going to put gapless playback what's the point in all this?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #3,422 of 9,165
Maybe the new Gold or silver versions won't have these issues. It's all about how shiny it is.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/127393/dap-pmp/iriver-japan-outs-limited-edition-gold-and-silver-ak100-dap?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Akihabaranews_en+%28AKIBA+EN%29.

In other news, my firmware is 1.20

I've got an unmodded AK100, ZO2 and DT1350's. I'm loving this sound having come from a Sansa clip +.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #3,424 of 9,165
Quote:
one question. does it make sense to update firmware WHEN your player works fine and you have no complaints? i would upgrade firmware only when i am not happy with how it works right now, but if everything is problem free then why go through update hassle? i do not think update on AK100 is a must and since they not going to put gapless playback what's the point in all this?

Updating itself isn't that hard.  Takes 5 minutes.  The problem is if the update does not work as expected.  And you don't always know that there are going to be problems until you update it.  

I am glad that you have found your AK problem free; while I like my AK, I would find it hard to say that it has been "problem free" - regardless of the firmware version.  For instance, as I have added more music files to my AK, the library scan crashes more often and most recently only populates the "Artist" category.

So, to answer your question, I think a lot of people have been going to the trouble of updating hoping that the update will improve on some of these stability issues - even when it does not include gapless support.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #3,426 of 9,165
Crud, I chose the wrong language after flashing on accident. Where the heck is the language option in the menus?

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,427 of 9,165
dase, i see your point. i got my rwak100 just today and will experiment but from my experience with other DAPs, PCs and etc i can say IF thing works for you just do not mess around with update and you will be fine. i pass some updates even with my Apples and once i updated OSX my Roxio software stopped working properly because the new update kicked out the patch which was needed by Roxio. now i am stuck because there is no way i can reinstall this patch, even clean reinstall of Rox did not solve it. so far i hate updates unless this is critically necessary.

i hope my rwak 100 will be able to live without updates
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,428 of 9,165
rudi, great setup
gs1000.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #3,429 of 9,165
Got a beautiful new DAC in yesterday and it is really nice to use the AK100 as a digital transport!

Bit OT in the circumstance but i am thinking having the DAC next to an armchair where i would not have my computer so that i can just use the AK100 as a source!

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #3,431 of 9,165
Quote:
Click play list in the bottom left corner.  Scroll down to the last item and click it.  That is for "Settings".  The second item from the top is "Language."

Thank you! Life saver!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back