The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #3,316 of 9,165
Quote:
Thanks, now i get it.

RWAK100 seems more colored from you guys' brief reviews.
I should really think about moding it after i get my Unique Melody Miracles.
Hope these two won't sound bad. If this pair really sounds awful, that will cost me 250+ dollars to mod it.
Even though not worthwhile just for cutting off the impedance, but have to do that.

Here is my take my take on the AK100, after 3-4 days of usage it is possible to get used to its sound signature. As much as the high output will impact certain IEM like all sound signature  it is matter of time to get used to it. To avoid moding just use an amp of your liking. 

RAWAK100: If you dont want to carry around an amp bypass the 22 ohm resistor, this will a) increases the volume by 4-6 db which means it will be loud enough for all the IEM out in the market.and b)it will no longer have the impedance problem so it can be truly an all in one DAP solution with only buggy or "poor" UI.

I personally would not pay 355 for a mod, I rather buy an amp for that price. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #3,317 of 9,165
what is the best portable amp you can go along with ak100 not rwak100?I am planning to upgrade my portable amp.Budget around  150-300?Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,318 of 9,165
I was using Stock AK100 optical out to mini DAC/Amp xxDuo (mentioned by AnakChan in post 3285) with FitEar ToGo and Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS achieved "quite" good sounding . Without amp directly audio output from AK100 FAD (impedence 16ohm) suffer the most totally could not bare to listen for more than five minute.

However I just try the Stock AK100 without amp with Weston ES3X with Crystal Picolino cable seem to work well (Do not know whether is the cable or ES3x), all the music suddenly come alive.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,319 of 9,165
Quote:
Here is my take my take on the AK100, after 3-4 days of usage it is possible to get used to its sound signature. As much as the high output will impact certain IEM like all sound signature  it is matter of time to get used to it. To avoid moding just use an amp of your liking. 

RAWAK100: If you dont want to carry around an amp bypass the 22 ohm resistor, this will a) increases the volume by 4-6 db which means it will be loud enough for all the IEM out in the market.and b)it will no longer have the impedance problem so it can be truly an all in one DAP solution with only buggy or "poor" UI.

I personally would not pay 355 for a mod, I rather buy an amp for that price. 

The reason i bought AK100 is due to its high portability, which is very rare in hifi market, with a fair sound quality (even though not good enough.) If i will add any amps on a dap, that will be Ipod Classic. IMO, Ipod Classic has a better UI and Itunes.
I think i will go for RWAK100. 
Thanks, man :)

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,320 of 9,165
Quote:
The reason i bought AK100 is due to its high portability, which is very rare in hifi market, with a fair sound quality (even though not good enough.) If i will add any amps on a dap, that will be Ipod Classic. IMO, Ipod Classic has a better UI and Itunes.
I think i will go for RWAK100. 
Thanks, man :)

Just wait a while, you never know, maybe iriver is fixing this issue? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #3,321 of 9,165
Well fixing it how? By releasing a new product or by also offering a solution for the older models as well? It really depends on how you look at it. But to be fair the Tera player has high output impedance and everyone loves it :p.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #3,322 of 9,165
Quote:
Well fixing it how? By releasing a new product or by also offering a solution for the older models as well? It really depends on how you look at it. But to be fair the Tera player has high output impedance and everyone loves it :p.

I doubt it, but ofcourse as a current owner I hope for such fixes. I cant realy complain, I got a good offer and the fact that I dont need to downsample my files I am a happy camper however to be honest the fact that I cannot use it with the EX1000 has disappointed me a little but than again I have the new studio to fix that problem.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3,323 of 9,165
Quote:

Agree.
I don't think Iriver is going to fix it. Extra time, money for repair and less reputation will only make Iriver slap itself. 
IMO, the most possible excuse to justify they put an incredible high impedance in AK100 is because they love a plain tune.
What i said maybe sound weird but it does make sense. Actually a lot of people love this kind of pure plain sound.
As you might know, Iriver is a Korean company. I don't think Asian people really love boom boom boom. At least, i don't like it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #3,324 of 9,165
Quote:
Agree.
I don't think Iriver is going to fix it.
IMO, the most possible excuse to justify they put a high impedance in AK100 is because they love a plain tune.
What i said maybe sound weird but it does make sense. Actually a lot of people love this kind of pure plain sound.
As you might know, Iriver is a Korean company. I don't think Asian people really love boom boom boom. At least, i don't like it.

Well the thing is Asian music can tend to be more so on the treble happy/harsher side of things and on a brighter more peppy source that is a no go.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #3,325 of 9,165
Quote:

I dont know the technical stuff on why this matters, but why isnt everyone complaining about the Tera player with certain earphones like they are the AK100? Enlighten me without trying to convince me to buy something 2x my price range like you always seem to do... ready... go!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #3,326 of 9,165
Quote:

I dont know the technical stuff on why this matters, but why isnt everyone complaining about the Tera player with certain earphones like they are the AK100? Enlighten me without trying to convince me to buy something 2x my price range like you always seem to do... ready... go!

I don't know exactly why Cara. But it all stems from the implementations of these devices. There is obviously some merit to the Tera Players praise. The owners aren't just a bunch of biased idiots. I won't buy that for a minute. Charles had mentioned something very interesting in his measurements regarding the jitter and the speed of the sign wavs or something like that? All I know is if it sounds good to my ears that is all that really matters. Thing is I've heard gear with high output impedance that made my IEMs/cans sound like ****. So in that I'm also skeptical. Anyways I'll be demoing it a little later this year so I'll decide with my ears.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #3,327 of 9,165
Upcoming official case from iriver due end April. I like it however I prefer something with screen protection.
Anyone tried this with edition 8? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #3,328 of 9,165
Quote:
Upcoming official case from iriver due end April. I like it however I prefer something with screen protection.
Anyone tried this with edition 8? 

That's a much more appropriate case as it protects the top. Only if it had a window too instead of having to flip it open to access the touch screen.

I did try the RWAK100 with the Romeos but not the AK100. I also tried the SigDJs next to the Romeos. It was after that date that I picked up the SigDJ's.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #3,329 of 9,165
Quote:

That's a much more appropriate case as it protects the top. Only if it had a window too instead of having to flip it open to access the touch screen.

I did try the RWAK100 with the Romeos but not the AK100. I also tried the SigDJs next to the Romeos. It was after that date that I picked up the SigDJ's.

Nice, one day I hope to try them. I always liked the edition 8 look.  

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,330 of 9,165
Guys, I've removed some off-topic discussion. Please keep this thread to discussion of the AK100. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back