The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,656 of 9,165
The RWA has the blackest background I've heard yet in a DAP.... I'm curious as to how the tera player will compare? I've heard conflicting comments in regards to this area on these players.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #2,657 of 9,165
Quote:
The RWA has the blackest background I've heard yet in a DAP.... I'm curious as to how the tera player will compare? I've heard conflicting comments in regards to this area on these players.

Tera has a bit of hiss on my 335s :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,660 of 9,165
The Tera has 2 headphone sockets that sounds different. The edge socket has more hiss than the middle socket in my experience with IEMs.

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,661 of 9,165
Quote:
The Tera has 2 headphone sockets that sounds different. The edge socket has more hiss than the middle socket in my experience with IEMs.

Just hearing that there is hiss is a bit disappointing at this price point.... I mean at $1,100 I thought it would be completely black... :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #2,662 of 9,165
In my collection, I hear slight hiss in the side socket only with my JH16s. In the center socket, nothing. With other earbuds, IEMs and headphones nothing in both sockets.

I suppose it depends on matching. The 2 sockets are supposed to have different output impedences.

I find I prefer the side socket with my earbuds but the central socket with my mod PortaPro

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,665 of 9,165
Is there hiss at normal volumes or when the volume is turned way up? Also, if there are two gains, then just use the lower gain with IEM's that are sensitive. It seems many people test a unit by turning up the volume to the point where hiss is heard but if it was actually listened to at that volume, the monitors would burn out or your ears would.

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,666 of 9,165
Is there hiss at normal volumes or when the volume is turned way up? Also, if there are two gains, then just use the lower gain with IEM's that are sensitive. It seems many people test a unit by turning up the volume to the point where hiss is heard but if it was actually listened to at that volume, the monitors would burn out or your ears would.

Honestly I hear hiss on both ports but that's because I use the ultra-sensitive FitEar MH335DW... But its really negligible, unlike the hiss on the Continental V3 which is absurd...

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,667 of 9,165
where did you guys buy ak1000 aside from ALO?ALso the cheapest way to send it to North America?

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #2,668 of 9,165
I wish I could afford to get the RWAK100 - hopefully by summer,...I'm seriously not interested in the Tera Player. Too much mysticism,....smoke & mirror magic turns me off. No matter the sq, I can't stand all the horror in that thread,...

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #2,670 of 9,165
Honestly I hear hiss on both ports but that's because I use the ultra-sensitive FitEar MH335DW... But its really negligible, unlike the hiss on the Continental V3 which is absurd...

The V3 hiss should mellow after 100 hrs though. Not passed that line yet or it's still there even after passing that mark?

I wish I could afford to get the RWAK100 - hopefully by summer,...I'm seriously not interested in the Tera Player. Too much mysticism,....smoke & mirror magic turns me off. No matter the sq, I can't stand all the horror in that thread,...

I've spent very little time with the Tera...with V0's a few weeks back, & last years with Sasaki-san's. I personally wouldn't call it hocus pocus but there's definitely a lot of praise for it just like many other products here.

I just can't get myself to a regimented workflow to get my songs on it...ALAC/AAC for my iDevices, FLAC for my DX100/RWAK100, then another format of the same tracks for the Tera? Is a little too much for me. Killing FLAC for WAV isn't such a good option due to tagging (yep, I know irrelevant for Tera but still relevant for the other players).

Also, not to get too deep into FLAC vs WAV, when people have compared the Tera to the DX100/RWAK100, did they compare WAV-to-WAV or WAV-to-FLAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back