The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,641 of 9,165
This thing sounds great, but the interface is driving me insane.

Every time I have tried to do a library scan, it has frozen after approximately 1,400 songs.  All that is in the song, album, and artist lists is the contents of the internal storage, not the cards.

No album art displays.

I have a mix of AIFF and ALAC files, at a variety of resolutions.

I'm running software version 1.30.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,642 of 9,165

Every time I have tried to do a library scan, it has frozen after approximately 1,400 songs.  All that is in the song, album, and artist lists is the contents of the internal storage, not the cards.

No album art displays.

How do you know it crashed? I always have mine appear to studder and freeze just to have it jump back to life in a few seconds. Just leave it for a few min and don't stare at it.

.... A watched pot doesn't boil....

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #2,643 of 9,165

No album art displays.

How did you add the album art?

I'm not really sure about the slow scanning process...

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2,644 of 9,165
Quote:

No album art displays.

Is it detecting your memory cards in the upper left portion of the UI? Make sure the cards are formatted properly, too.

Oh, and maybe this will help:

Quote (from the ALO Audio AK100 page):
Q: Is there anything I should do before dragging my music onto the AK100?

A: Yes, you want to enter metadata and make sure all your album artwork is embedded in your FLAC files.

We use Media-Rage to add album art and manage metadata. Download Media-Rage.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,645 of 9,165
Quote:
How do you know it crashed? I always have mine appear to studder and freeze just to have it jump back to life in a few seconds. Just leave it for a few min and don't stare at it.

.... A watched pot doesn't boil....

When you walk away for an hour and 20 minutes, and the process hasn't advanced at all when you return, I think that qualifies as a crash.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,646 of 9,165
Quote:

Is it detecting your memory cards in the upper left portion of the UI? Make sure the cards are formatted properly, too.

Oh, and maybe this will help:

Both cards are detected.  Both were formatted to FAT before use.  Can access cards and play what's on them by digging through the folder structure, but that's a second-best solution.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,647 of 9,165
I usually have a folder of just single songs on the main drive, that I will randomly play that is always there which I add to from time to time.
Then I have an external which I switch out from time to time with albums.

Never had a bog down, never had a scanning issue, never had an artwork issue. Never seized on me.
I dunno, maybe carrying around 90' gb's of music is inviting lag and scanning issues.

I am sure I think about it differently than others though, because I never saw the appeal of 160 gb ipod classics.
Too many options I would find myself sitting there scrolling for 10 mins looking for stuff instead of just enjoying whats on.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,649 of 9,165
I use the same cards on my DX100 and AK100. I am rescanning them now in the AK100 to see if it works ok but I have been using auto scanning in the past, doing it manual right now. I use all the formats from ALAC, FLAC, WAV and regular to 24/192 and it scanned over 1700 just now with no problem.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #2,650 of 9,165
Quote:
I use the same cards on my DX100 and AK100. I am rescanning them now in the AK100 to see if it works ok but I have been using auto scanning in the past, doing it manual right now. I use all the formats from ALAC, FLAC, WAV and regular to 24/192 and it scanned over 1700 just now with no problem.

How do you decide which if the two you will use at any given time?

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2,651 of 9,165
I am pretty sure that is abnormal behaviour on the player's part. Mine takes only a few minutes to scan a nearly full 64 gb card.

Edit: Have you tried with success just using one card at a time?

Quote:
Both cards are detected.  Both were formatted to FAT before use.  Can access cards and play what's on them by digging through the folder structure, but that's a second-best solution.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2,652 of 9,165
Regarding the hand issue above: it may well be not an issue with the cards or the number of songs in general. But rather one song or album that the quite sloppy AK100 codecs can't read and thus add to the database, and thus appear to be crashing, or rather hanging the player... unfortunately the only way to sort that out is to start fresh and copy blocks of your total collection over, run a manual scan until you narrow it down to the offending tracks locking up the scan process...

---
This player is so frustrating, probably 85% of my albums lack artwork on the player despite being verifiably embedded in the files. Recently, I added a couple of HD Tracks albums, one simply becomes "2" as the album title, the other has track names of "D", "I", "W", but only for some tracks, some are OK for the same album, and those characters are not even the first letter for those tracks' names... it's as if the AK100 uses a random character generator every time its codecs fail to decode a tag -_-

Never mind it can't handle most extended western characters, the way it mangles for example Janáček, with some characters looking like they're from a different font, if not a downright a square. Sometimes it even removes surrounding characters so Mylène becomes Myène, thought I'd made a typo, but no, the original file's tags are correct... except on the AK100... again, this would be OK on a generic imported asian media player, but on a device that touts itself as being a high-end device for the discerning audiophile, it's just sad to put it nicely.

I'm just don't have the time to babysit every single bleeping track/album I own through a sometimes multiple-attempt process to make them appear correctly on the AK100. Especially since I already spent quite a bit of time to thoroughly organize and tag them in the the first place, and didn't have any issues until the AK100.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,653 of 9,165
For the most part I haven't had any big issues with the scan.  However, a couple times during the last 2 months it did crash during the scan process.   I just rescanned it though and it worked fine.  As a practice, I try to limit my rescans to once a week because of the time and energy consumption.   I use the manual folder search in between.

If your ak100 is crashing every single time when scanning, i would do a hard reset, reinstall the firmware, check sd cards for errors.

I don't know about the album art issue.  Generally, i don't really care about that.  I just listen to the music and the display is off most of the time.

I did notice like the previous poster that the diacritics can cause problems in terms of rendering of titles, but at least it hasn't kept it from playing those tracks.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,654 of 9,165
Odd, I never had any issues with the iRiver H120 or 140. They are fast, music shows up and it all plays. Sometimes technology just isn't what it has been touted to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back