The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #2,326 of 9,165
Quote:
So far i have tried: hifiman 262, hifiman he400, grado gr10, grado sr60, koss porta pro.  The sound profile was not changed when paired with the ak100.  They sounded the same but clearer and more detailed.  The only one that has been problematic is the grado gr10.  For some reason, it has been difficult to get consistently good sound from them.  So far, my favorite pairings are the hifiman headphones.

It's nice that Ak100 users here share their experiences with us.
I would like to try how AK100 pairing with my iems one more time.
If it's not bad, I probably would get it.

Hey guys, it is my graph......
My AK100 was purchased from CHINA,
Pre-ordered and mine is the first MADE IN CHINA batch, not MADE IN KOREA batch.
So it is cheaper. In HK, the price was about 550+ usd but the distributor was suddenly replaced by another under Iriver complaint (they set the price too low).

Honestly, the power n quality of AK100 cannot match the IPhone + Fostex hp-p1,
I have all the set up in the chart more than half a year, tested with many iem n headphone like srh1840 n w4r.
But comparing the functionality, cost n performance, AK100 sound quality is very stunning already. I am a mechanical and production engineer, I find a product like AK100 price tag is normal.

AK100 is not an iPod that can be mass produced a lot for a huge market. Audiophile stuff generally are luxury stuff, not groceries. I won't expect it to be always "budget friendly".

I was actively discussed about AK100 in a china forum, but some ppl keep magnifying the cons of AK100 and the flaw of AK100's back glass which was not glued to the back flat enough. They always comment that AK100 worthy of $200 only. I think it depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice for such type of device, u don't like it you can say it worth a few cents only. But for the design, built, soft n hardware, from a business and marketing perspective AK100 just slightly overpriced. Come on which Luxury product is not sort of overpriced? It is not a Fiio X3.

For the sound my iPhone + Fostex costs about 1000 usd, AK100 just almost half the price, much portable, longer battery life and 85% sound quality. I do love this device so much.
These few months I listen to AK100 + pico slim or I basso T5 with my Beyerdynamic dt1350 / pioneer se mj591 / w4r almost everyday, the convenience it brings make me able to enjoy my music freely, the price tag of 650 is still acceptable to me, I even want to get a spare one but know that there may be AK200, HM901, so I lock my wallet away yet.

yes, I've seen quite number of people on ERJI magnifying the flaw of back glass, and thus not worth for such price
btw, have they seen these before?

these are iphone5, these are how they became when the users put them in the back pocket of their trousers

To me, Ak100 may worth such a price
But as a consumer, I would like to buy product in a cheaper price- -
this month I've sth else to buy, psp and digimon adventure (oh, it's out!!!, agumon, plotmon

)

I'm more interested in playing this lol

yup, I do think there may be a new Ak100 would be out later
well I'm not interested in 901 after trying

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2,327 of 9,165
I still don't see the point in putting things in ones back pocket? Well maybe its just my ass is big lol.
evil_smiley.gif
But I just don't see the benefit on sitting on my belongings. It's not comfortable and of course I'd be to worried of damaging my stuff. I put stuff in my side pockets instead.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #2,329 of 9,165
not an equivalent  alternative,
coz it can;t play 24/192  music as i know,
it is bulky still,
also the sd card need to be re inserted to be recognized every u start the machine,
the color of the display can;t show the words of songs clearly,
BATTERY LIFE MAX IS JUST 10 HRS

sound not very amazing, but a bit powerful than ak100.
of course no impedance issue.

all of above, i heard from china users of ihifi960

but it is about 300 usd, a high C P ratio device
if u dont care about 24/192 music

it is anther  Good Choice

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.0.255.22335b&id=20326672463

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2,330 of 9,165
Got my RWAK100 today. 

Must say its a nice little package. Very small. UI is very easy to use. Took me a couple minutes to do the upgrade to v1.3. 

First thing I noticed was that I didn't format my cards right so I did that first. after that I noticed that it takes FOREVER to transfer from my mac to the RWAK100 ... it is much faster to transfer internally on the mac to the card. 
Still need to figure out how to get my folders to show on the card ... everything is showing up unnamed until I get to specifically the song. 

NOW most importantly, I have been using my fitear 334's with stock cable direct to the RWAK100. The music files I were testing against were the flac/alac files that I had to downgrade to play on the iplatform. Then used the normal itunes files lossy and it still sounded way better than attached to just an ipod or iphone. 
Sounds very nice! Almost as good as when I am using iplatform/clas/mkIIIB but pretty good. But the obvious benefit is I don't have to bring around a stack. Actually if I am listening to the master quality stuff ... direct to the RWAK is better than my normal stack.
Listening to Son of a Preacher man from Dusty Springfield (24bit 192 khz) and it is awesome. 
Take Five The Dave Brubeck Quartet (24bit/176.4kHz) is also amazing. 

Will test with it connected to the MKIIIB ... I expect it to be much nicer with the HD files and the significantly better amp. I"ll also try it out balanced out at that point. 

I think the key test for me will be with the HE-500's.

Going to let it burn in for a couple days and give more feedback. 

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #2,333 of 9,165
Quote:
Lamest. Response. Ever.
Clearly those rights are wasted on you.

Believe what you will.
rolleyes.gif

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made about the device, and to be frank, most of those who are raising said points (including myself) are doing it in a pretty respectful manner, compared to some prior threads that had to be locked.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,335 of 9,165
Quote:
Believe what you will.
rolleyes.gif

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms to be made about the device, and to be frank, most of those who are raising said points (including myself) are doing it in a pretty respectful manner, compared to some prior threads that had to be locked.

To have all the pros and cons listed on the OP in an objective manner would have solved the problem

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,336 of 9,165
I am very tempted to pick one of these up - I am wondering though, how difficult is it to get the songs from Computer to Player correctly - with all data transferring (music, cover art, etc)?
Problems like jliu mentioned above are what have me concerned.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,338 of 9,165
Feb 2, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,339 of 9,165
I am very tempted to pick one of these up - I am wondering though, how difficult is it to get the songs from Computer to Player correctly - with all data transferring (music, cover art, etc)?

Ideally drag and drop.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #2,340 of 9,165
I use a program like dB Poweramp for ripping CD and I buy digital music from Amazon, iTunes, HD Tracks, and Linn Records.  All I did was simply copy the entire folder (artist>album) to the AK100 internal hard drive and I could see all of the album art.  No problems.  

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back