The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 31, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,312 of 9,165
Quote:
I suppose this could be related to the high output impedance.  The thing though is that it seems to be having greater problems with the low frequencies.  It seems to "growl" and generally sound very rough in the bass range.  The higher frequencies still seem very bright and clean.  

Strangely, the gr10s actually sounded better when i first got the ak100 about a month ago.  It is also possible i damaged them.   The 262s require more volume to drive and i forgot to the lower the volume a couple of times when i plugged in the gr10s.  I am actually hoping  that it is related to the output impedance issue because i think they are now out of warranty.  

That's about right. I doubt that you damaged them. They should sound lean with a rising top end with that sort of output impedance. Problem is not unique to them. Many folks considering this DAP have armature type designs that the high output impedance could effect.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,315 of 9,165
[size=medium]I am very skeptical about $400 for genuine iRiver AK100 even though it is made in China.
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Quote:
a member was able to do so, I can be optimistic, cant I?
PS:I would prefer the AK100 over kate anyday :-D

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,316 of 9,165
Quote:
That's about right. I doubt that you damaged them. They should sound lean with a rising top end with that sort of output impedance. Problem is unique to them. Many folks considering this DAP have armature type designs that the high output impedance could effect.

Okay.  That makes sense.  I ordered some fischer audio iems; luckily, they are both dynamic.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,317 of 9,165
Faint.....it is genuine....but it is the first batch "Made in China".
Some shops do some kinds of "under table" refund in China Online Store.

Originally was 450+ USD --> under table deal --> (u have to call them directly) --> 400 USD
It is common, coz the shop can sell more without officially piss off the Distributor.

The Price Tag for different place is an issue.

in HK --> iriver's originally distributor is Digital Brave,
They set the price at 580-600 USD.

But the Korean iRiver were not happy with that,
They want AK100 to follow the Europe Price of 650USD!

So they cancelled my HK order even the credit card deal has been accepted.
Luckily, I order 1 from China, 1 from HK.
Actually, I want to keep one and sell one online.
Now I can only have 1 AK100.

If you really keep update with the market, there are lots of great sales...
I get my Phiaton MS 300 at 99USD from Amazon.com (one day super discount), [normal is 199usd]
Then I sold it higher at other place. (like stock market).
e.g. 
http://www.amazon.com/Phiaton-MS-400-Carbon-Headphones/dp/B001EUE6AK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359686905&sr=8-2&keywords=phiaton+ms+300&tag=20785-20

now 249 --> 139 usd!

Back to the AK100, it got the Warranty and Genuine Stamp, Receipt from iRiver with serial number that can be confirmed with their hotline...
Perhaps even the people answering the hotline is fake...ROFL
size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #2,318 of 9,165
Quote:
a member was able to do so, I can be optimistic, cant I?
PS:I would prefer the AK100 over kate anyday :-D

If you are talking about the guy who bought the "made in China" version, i think he said that he paid 550 usd for it.   I don't recall reading about anyone who was able to actually buy a new one at that price.

I guess the guy just posted a followup where there were some under the table deal for 400, but i am not sure if you want to get mixed up in that - if it is legit.

PS If you treat kate right, she probably has the money to buy you an ak100 at full price.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #2,319 of 9,165
Quote:
If you are talking about the guy who bought the "made in China" version, i think he said that he paid 550 usd for it.   I don't recall reading about anyone who was able to actually buy a new one at that price.

I guess the guy just posted a followup where there were some under the table deal for 400, but i am not sure if you want to get mixed up in that - if it is legit.

PS If you treat kate right, she probably has the money to buy you an ak100 at full price.

LOL thanks :-D

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2,320 of 9,165
I look forward to hearing this with my ATH ESW10's as these are some of the best phones I have heard, now that I have a few thousand hours on them. Glad I picked them up a few years ago. Very nice to look at, very portable and truly exceptional sounding. They couple well with the DX100.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,321 of 9,165
Quote:
I look forward to hearing this with my ATH ESW10's as these are some of the best phones I have heard, now that I have a few thousand hours on them. Glad I picked them up a few years ago. Very nice to look at, very portable and truly exceptional sounding. They couple well with the DX100.

I picked the ES10 after reading some of your comment. I really enjoy them, I am sure the bass will get better, however my only problem is ear-pads. 

Looking forward to your review on AK100+ES10

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,322 of 9,165
Guys, don't wanna cause confusion, 

My chart actually was from my very own "personal experience".
The price I got is ~ 4XXusd. (under table deal didn't count, and I can't disclose details for such non-official deal)
But the Official Price at that time was Actually 500-550USD.

Still, yes, it is cheaper then US / EU region, where the price tag is 100 USD higher = 650USD.
May be shipping cost? Marketing strategy?

But considering sometimes USA made products like Etymotic I ordered from USA is 1/3 price cheaper than in Asia.
Same equation applies to AK100.
AK100 in Korea is at least 50 - 100 USD cheaper. 
About 698,000Won (South Korea Currency)

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,323 of 9,165
Guys, don't wanna cause confusion, 

My chart actually was from my very own "personal experience".
The price I got is ~ 4XXusd. (under table deal didn't count, and I can't disclose details for such non-official deal)
But the Official Price at that time was Actually 500-550USD.

Still, yes, it is cheaper then US / EU region, where the price tag is 100 USD higher = 650USD.
May be shipping cost? Marketing strategy?

But considering sometimes USA made products like Etymotic I ordered from USA is 1/3 price cheaper than in Asia.
Same equation applies to AK100.
AK100 in Korea is at least 50 - 100 USD cheaper. 
About 698,000Won (South Korea Currency)

I was worried there for a bit :) no problem then :)

I really like the ESW sound... Have the ESW11LTD myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back