The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #2,011 of 9,165
From Headphonia's FB. Looks like a "local modder" (I guess that means in Indonesia?) has bypassed the AK100, presumably RedWine style :-

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=518880658156636&set=a.513915378653164.125485.145341288843910&type=1&theater

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2,012 of 9,165
Just received my Dignis case, great quality, perfect fit, awesome look, love it :)

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #2,013 of 9,165
Quote:
Just received my Dignis case, great quality, perfect fit, awesome look, love it :)

dsc04333w.jpg

dsc04335xe.jpg

dsc04336y.jpg

May want to fix the links. They don't work unless edited. My only gripe about my Dignis case is no protection on the top (despite that strip of film they provide.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #2,015 of 9,165
Hi guys, Sorry for my English.
i have a question. I never had so expensive "mp3 player" :)Can you compare its sound quality to something like notebook? I have a Asus zenbook ux31e and i get used to to its sound. Every mp3 or mobile phone sound so crap to compare... i would wanted something for mobile listening, but this is really expensive player. Btw mine headphones are  v-moda m100. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #2,016 of 9,165
I finding that I like the AK-100 better than the DX-100 without an external amplifier. I am using full size headphones and not in ear ones. I don't like the fact that I can't play my I tunes music and hope that someday this may be a possibility.  I like the small size and the fact that I can take it with a pair of headphones without an external amp. I now will have to find an in ear that mates well with the AK-100. I think I will be selling my DX-100.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #2,017 of 9,165
I finding that I like the AK-100 better than the DX-100 without an external amplifier. I am using full size headphones and not in ear ones. I don't like the fact that I can't play my I tunes music and hope that someday this may be a possibility.  I like the small size and the fact that I can take it with a pair of headphones without an external amp. I now will have to find an in ear that mates well with the AK-100. I think I will be selling my DX-100.

In term of sound stage (3D imaging), vocal/instruments separation, background noise which is more superior: AK-100 or DX-100?
Can you bypass their internal amp. in both DAPs and use external amp.?
In your actual use, which DAP has a longer battery life?

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #2,018 of 9,165
Some notes in the process of finding properly sealed cans for the office:

I just spent some time listening to the Senn Momentum, very balanced overall, but too bass-rich for my taste (on all amps) Fortunately thanks to the great EQ in the AK100, I was able to tame it just enough (I REALLY wish they'd let you save presets)

Sidenote: Since I had them handy, I threw on my W-3000ANV (EQ off, no bass reduction) and listened to the same set. Despite opening up the soundstage, the whole thing sounded a bit thin at any level (not maxed out), compared to what I'm used to. Put them on one of my favourite amps, the Peachtree, and the magic was back (still same set) So definitely, with some headphones, the AK100 sounds comparatively thin. And this was a clear difference, I'm not the most picky of Head-Fiers. Not night and day, not unlistenable, but nonetheless noticeable.

This turns out to be in line with my earlier impressions with the TH900, which I like a lot with the AK100: the same effect that is detrimental to the SQ of the W-3000 is just enough to tame the SQ excesses of the TH900 to make it more enjoyable...

Back to closed cans: So far I have tried the Momentum and the PSB M4U2 (usually assigned to other duties), and it's not as clear as I'd like it to be. The Senn is great but with too much bass, the PSB doesn't have that issue but sounds a bit meh, and in passive mode maxes out the AK100 (active mode is way too colored for "audiophile" listening, and of course adding noise-cancelling introduces the typical NC hiss on top of that)

Anybody here who can comment on the B&W P5 or Edition8, preferably on the AK100? Other suggestions? IEMs not so much, I need to take the phones on & off quite often at work...

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #2,019 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi guys, Sorry for my English.
i have a question. I never had so expensive "mp3 player" :)Can you compare its sound quality to something like notebook? I have a Asus zenbook ux31e and i get used to to its sound. Every mp3 or mobile phone sound so crap to compare... i would wanted something for mobile listening, but this is really expensive player. Btw mine headphones are  v-moda m100. 

IMO, AK100 is a little better than notebooks such as Macbook air and pro (not retina). Macbook air and pro might supply more power to drive headphones; however, under those notebooks and laptops headphones sound just rough, not delicate enough. 
AK100 doesn't have the same power as those laptops have, but it sounds just refined with a better separation and better soundstage. 
By the way, it depends on different laptops. For example, Macbook pro with Retina sounds excellent,.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #2,020 of 9,165
Regarding the "lack of gapless in the foreseeable future" issue:
I just tried (re)creating a single FLAC file (of Dark Side of the Moon), both with embedded cuesheet and external cuesheet. I tested it with VLC (works with the external cuesheet) and Clementine (works both with the embedded & external cuesheet). On the AK100, either way one giant ~42min track, didn't even recognize the metadata or album art (N.B.: I have had no problem transcoding/generating single track files)

Since I have very little in the way of comparison and it may be the encoding, has anybody else had any luck with cuesheet-based FLAC albums on the AK100?

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,021 of 9,165
Quote:
Regarding the "lack of gapless in the foreseeable future" issue:
I just tried (re)creating a single FLAC file (of Dark Side of the Moon), both with embedded cuesheet and external cuesheet. I tested it with VLC (works with the external cuesheet) and Clementine (works both with the embedded & external cuesheet). On the AK100, either way one giant ~42min track, didn't even recognize the metadata or album art (N.B.: I have had no problem transcoding/generating single track files)

Since I have very little in the way of comparison and it may be the encoding, has anybody else had any luck with cuesheet-based FLAC albums on the AK100?

I think iRiver would have to have it supported in order for it to work. Sounds like you're ****-out-of-luck. The DX100 supports it however as I ended up testing it out on Peter Gabriels "So" album in 24/192. Worked like a charm :).

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,025 of 9,165
I apologize if this has been answered, I have some 24/192kHz files, will the AK100 downsample for me, or do I need to convert before copying the files to the device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back