The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2,026 of 9,165
Quote:
I apologize if this has been answered, I have some 24/192kHz files, will the AK100 downsample for me, or do I need to convert before copying the files to the device?

The AK100 plays back 24/192khz just fine and actually also outputs it exactly like that through the optical out (a lot of TOSlink implementations are limited to 24/96khz)

If you intentionally want a lower sampling rate/depth, you will have to convert the files yourself, the AK100 has no setting to re-sample them on the fly, it will use the original rate/depth.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #2,027 of 9,165
Quote:
The AK100 plays back 24/192khz just fine and actually also outputs it exactly like that through the optical out (a lot of TOSlink implementations are limited to 24/96khz)

If you intentionally want a lower sampling rate/depth, you will have to convert the files yourself, the AK100 has no setting to re-sample them on the fly, it will use the original rate/depth.

Definitely don't want to downsample on device.

Does the until take 24/96kHz in as well? I might just use it as a DAC for my laptop with my JH16s, save some $ on the apex glacier I was considering for my transportable setup. Time to sell my Audioengine D1, my Audioquest Dragonfly and my Chordette gear.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #2,028 of 9,165
Whatever other weaknesses the AK100 may have, sampling rate/depth support isn't one of them. It will play back natively 16 or 24 bit depth at ANY rate from 44.1 - 192. (I've had a couple of DACs that couldn't handle 88.2 or 176.4 for example, and either resample those or just fail...)

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #2,029 of 9,165
Any one has done the comparison A and B between AK 100 standard vs RWA AK 100?

Please share your impression here

I like to ask you about :

1. How is the power ? Is RWA AK 100 has more power than standard AK 100 ?

2. How is the sound quality ? Is that some improvement SQ from RWA AK 100 ?

3. What is the benefit to buy RWA AK 100 ?

Thank you

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2,030 of 9,165

Thank you

RWA AK 100 is a modified version of original AK 100 by Red Wine Audio USA?
Just curious, what kind of modification is being done to AK 100? What is the modidication cost?

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #2,032 of 9,165
Quote:
RWA AK 100 is a modified version of original AK 100 by Red Wine Audio USA?
Just curious, what kind of modification is being done to AK 100? What is the modidication cost?

They remove the 22 ohm resistor/s and directly feed a wire from the HO to the DAC so you get an even cleaner sound and more power without the compromise of 22 ohm impedance. So its now less than 1 ohm after the mod and suitable for both sensitive and harder to drive IEMs and cans. Using a stock AK100 on the other hand is not a viable option for sensitive IEMs.

It's $250.00 if you send your unit into Vinnie to mod or if you purchased directly from him $889.00. But he has been having problems getting stock in after having a fallout with iRiver. So it may not be possible any longer to acquire the units directly from him....

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #2,033 of 9,165
Quote:

Thank you

Ruid I think Viscerious (if I spelled him name correctly lol) has or had both units and he compared them to my knowledge in his review. He found the RWA AK100 the clear winner with sensitive IEMs and that it had slightly more power as well.

I've never found the unit to lack in overall volume myself. Just the urge to listen to it at dangerous volumes is what really puts me off of it (lacks dynamics IMO at lower volumes).

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,034 of 9,165
They remove the 22 ohm resistor/s and directly feed a wire from the HO to the DAC so you get an even cleaner sound and more power without the compromise of 22 ohm impedance. So its now less than 1 ohm after the mod and suitable for both sensitive and harder to drive IEMs and cans. Using a stock AK100 on the other hand is not a viable option for sensitive IEMs.

It's $250.00 if you send your unit into Vinnie to mod or if you purchased directly from him $889.00. But he has been having problems getting stock in after having a fallout with iRiver. So it may not be possible any longer to acquire the units directly from him....

If AK-100 allows pure audio LINE OUTPUT, then you don'have to remove the 22 Ohm resistor, right?
Removing any component from AK-100 will void the product warranry?

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #2,035 of 9,165
Quote:
If AK-100 allows pure audio LINE OUTPUT, then you don'have to remove the 22 Ohm resistor, right?
Removing any component from AK-100 will void the product warranry?

The AK100 does not have a true LO. You'll be double amping from its HO regardless of which model.

You are right that the warranty is voided once you do the mod.

According to Vinnie with the mod the HO is more suitable to be used as a LO as when you max the volume it gives a LO quality signal.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #2,036 of 9,165
Quote:

I think it goes from the discrete circuitry doesn't it? The dac doesn't have the output to power phones adequately and isn't meant for that purpose.

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #2,037 of 9,165
I think it goes from the discrete circuitry doesn't it? The dac doesn't have the output to power phones adequately and isn't meant for that purpose.
Yep agreed. Otherwise there wouldn't be enough oomph.

I think what lee was trying to say though with his "HO" was that he meant the whole section out there...i.e. the "HO amp" section. That is implying the resistors are between the DAC & headphone out amp & I'm not certain if that's the case. I was under the impression it's actually DAC -> amp -> resistors -> Heaphone out.

Also don't believe the resistors are actually removed, but merely bypassed.

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2,038 of 9,165
Quote:

Yeesh iriver...

Quote:

Ruid I think Viscerious (if I spelled him name correctly lol) has or had both units and he compared them to my knowledge in his review. He found the RWA AK100 the clear winner with sensitive IEMs and that it had slightly more power as well.

I've never found the unit to lack in overall volume myself. Just the urge to listen to it at dangerous volumes is what really puts me off of it (lacks dynamics IMO at lower volumes).

Good job on the name! xD

I did like the RWAK100 better with sensitive IEMs and SQ wise I think it beats the normal AK100.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,039 of 9,165
Quote:

Sidenote: Since I had them handy, I threw on my W-3000ANV (EQ off, no bass reduction) and listened to the same set. Despite opening up the soundstage, the whole thing sounded a bit thin at any level (not maxed out), compared to what I'm used to. Put them on one of my favourite amps, the Peachtree, and the magic was back (still same set) So definitely, with some headphones, the AK100 sounds comparatively thin. And this was a clear difference, I'm not the most picky of Head-Fiers. Not night and day, not unlistenable, but nonetheless noticeable.

Quote:
I had the AT aniv. 3000 and those headphones sounded thin no matter what I used with them. I sold them within a week.

The amp on the RWAK100 does not sound good with the W3000ANV. It is slightly better than from the DX100 (overall both still pairs very poorly with it). The W3000ANV is rather picky on amps and amps that make it sings typically cost over a grand. However, when it does sing, it is among the best of the best.

Jan 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,040 of 9,165

Hi lee

I heard RWA can supply again RWA AK 100 after CES audio show.
Look like shouldn't have any more problem to make RWA AK 100
I hope it is true what I heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back