The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #812 of 9,165
Quote:
Please stop saying "Coaxil", it's not some over the counter drug. It's coaxial, with an 'a' and without capitalization.

Wrong on both accounts.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #814 of 9,165
Quote:
Hmm, my bad & Interesting. Is there any advantage to using Optical over Coaxil? Figure that will make it even less portable as a transport opposed to using Coaxil (generally optical chords are longer and bulkier than Coaxil which isn't ideal for carrying around).

Using a mini-toslink makes the most sense for a portable transport, IMO.  A high quality glass fiber optical cable should be lighter more flexible than a coax cable.  
Something like this: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html (and 20 inches is not long).

I tested the mini-Toslink out of the AK100 into my dac (using Redbook and High Res. files) and was very impressed!

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #815 of 9,165
Quote:

Using a mini-toslink makes the most sense for a portable transport, IMO.  A high quality glass fiber optical cable should be lighter more flexible than a coax cable.  
Something like this: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html (and 20 inches is not long).

I tested the mini-Toslink out of the AK100 into my dac (using Redbook and High Res. files) and was very impressed!

Be interested what you find on that HO. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #816 of 9,165
Quote:
Quote:
I'm with you on that (esp. in light of the price...) but I could compromise. In many ways, it's unfortunately like the iPod Classic display hardware-wise (hopefully the other specs like contrast, backlight etc. are improved even if the rez isn't) The UI is different though and if you're interested, this is the most informative video I've seen so far: YouTube link.

Thanks for the link!

I'm not really impressed with what I'm see (after that big knob of a volume thing)

From the UI
1. Only 4 items can displayed at a time
2. The artwork is on the background of the controls and look bloated
3. There seems to be lag (as if the player is reading) with every click from the video

All minor issues that can solved with software & updates.

If that knob could be removed and the screen was a bit longer, I would have pounded on this in a heartbeat

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #817 of 9,165
Quote:

The thing is Vinnie I'd need the cable to be much smaller. More so like a LOD (around 6 inches). Wouldn't make sense using this thing as a portable otherwise (connected to UHA6 MKII). At which point there are much better options available since the portability factor goes out the window :frowning2:.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #818 of 9,165
For whom it may concern: After someone using Apple's format(s) gave it a bad rating on Amazon after not double-checking the list of supported formats (or maybe a typo on the amazon product page), an official comment from iRiver confirmed that they intend to support AAC & ALAC in a future update. While that's no guarantee, it seems like things are moving in the right direction...

In the meantime ALAC -> FLAC is always an option (Or in the case of HD Tracks material, use the FLAC files as is, and convert to ALAC for any iDevices)

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #819 of 9,165
I decided to order the AK100 because I'm hoping for an ideal transport to pair directly with my FTG334s and also with LCD-3s amp'd via an ALO MK3.  

I'm excited about the ability to play both high-rez and CD-quality Flac files without having to convert to another format or feed through a Solo-db (which I decided to permanently part with after the recall).  There are many negative comments on this thread about the AK100, but in the end I figured it's best for me to simply evaluate for myself.  

The unit should arrive tomorrow.  Will come back on Friday with some observations.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #820 of 9,165
Interesting.
It does seem that ALO recommends pairing the AK100 (that they are selling) with one of their amps, aside form the possible double amping its hard to know how it will pair with the ALO amplifiers (and IEMs) as they dont list the headphone output impedance of their amps.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #821 of 9,165
Quote:
Interesting.
It does seem that ALO recommends pairing the AK100 (that they are selling) with one of their amps, aside form the possible double amping its hard to know how it will pair with the ALO amplifiers (and IEMs) as they dont list the headphone output impedance of their amps.

Not really surprising...they also recommend their amps with the CLAS which they  sell, as I recall.....

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #822 of 9,165
I'm guessing ALO will recommend their amps with almost any transport, seeing as how it's in their business interest to do so 
smile.gif
 However, I've had the MK3 for a few months now and love it.  Granted, I haven't heard any non-ALO portable amps, but the MK3 sounds great to me.  I have it connected to my Oppo BDP-105 in fully balanced mode via a custom Moon-Audio cable.  It makes for a great all in one amp with plenty of power for my LCD-3s. 

For what it's worth, non-ALO employees also told me that for the gear that I have, the AK100 is definitely worth a test drive at the least. My primary goal is an ultra portable transport that I can use with the FTG334s and get zero background noise as well great audio quality (which I'm sure everyone wants).  

The triple-stack brick of iPod-Solo-Amp sounded great with the LCD-3s, but was serious overkill for the FTG334.  Also, I'm brown and have a beard, so I really didn't want to get the Friday Night Special from airport security every time I tried to get on a plane with this combo.

Hence, I'm hoping the elegance of the AK100 will get me where I hope to be. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #823 of 9,165
The most amazing aspect of this player is that it was said to be a stand-alone device. Now it needs to be paired with an amp to sound good??? Lol!!! Quality marketing & double standards here folks,...just wonderful. :rolleyes:

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #824 of 9,165
Too bad also that it does not support ALAC !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back