The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 14, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #844 of 9,165
Re: volume knob: As you can see in the UI demo video, it is only a physical (notched no less) counterpart to the onscreen one. So for those who don't like it, you could probably remove it one way or the other without impacting the overall functionality
tongue.gif
. For those who like it because it is "analogue", alas I don't think you should get your hopes up...

Personally, I like having physical controls because they allow you to make adjustments by feel without having to look at it/ take it out of the pocket and such. But for the life of me I can't understand the design decision to make it stick out of the side rather than put it on top where it makes sense...

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #845 of 9,165
Quote:
Volume knob is actually something taken for granted. Digitial volume control is no the best at all. If it was not for the output impedance I would have ordered this long time ago. 

Well that depends audionewbi because the digital pot on the DX100 works wonders. Heck it makes it very versatile due to this with almost all amps, IEMs and headphones.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #846 of 9,165
Quote:
Well that depends audionewbi because the digital pot on the DX100 works wonders. Heck it makes it very versatile due to this with almost all amps, IEMs and headphones.

I am still reading. From what I found DX100Japan version seems to be better but honestly the form factor of the AK100 is just a winner. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #847 of 9,165
Quote:
Re: volume knob: As you can see in the UI demo video, it is only a physical (notched no less) counterpart to the onscreen one. So for those who don't like it, you could probably remove it one way or the other without impacting the overall functionality. For those who like it because it is "analogue", alas I don't think you should get your hopes up...

Personally, I like having physical controls because they allow you to make adjustments by feel without having to look at it/ take it out of the pocket and such. But for the life of me I can't understand the design decision to make it stick out of the side rather than put it on top where it makes sense...

uhmmm u need the physical knob to activate the on screen volume bar

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #848 of 9,165
Quote:
I am still reading. From what I found DX100Japan version seems to be better but honestly the form factor of the AK100 is just a winner. 

I manage to try a DX100 side by side with my ak100...

I would still take ak100 even when the size wasn't an issue

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #849 of 9,165
Quote:

True I agree on the form factor but to fore-sake everything with its high output impedance makes me wonder. In order to redeem it you need to attach an amp and double amp taking away from its portability anyways. So its a double edged sword no matter how you look at it.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #850 of 9,165
Quote:
True I agree on the form factor but to fore-sake everything with its high output impedance makes me wonder. In order to redeem it you need to attach an amp and double amp taking away from its portability anyways. So its a double edged sword no matter how you look at it.

I would never buy this with this obvious problem. Unless they are planning to sell this in future with a free IEM that is specifically designed for it otherwise I am just an admirer of the form factor. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #851 of 9,165
Quote:
I would never buy this with this obvious problem. Unless they are planning to sell this in future with a free IEM that is specifically designed for it otherwise I am just an admirer of the form factor. 

I think the tera player has me more curious at this point although it's but a dream lol. If I had disposable income I'd probably give it a shot at this point to see what all the hype is about :p.

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #852 of 9,165
Quote:
I think the tera player has me more curious at this point although it's but a dream lol. If I had disposable income I'd probably give it a shot at this point to see what all the hype is about :p.

No matter how good the sound is the lack of UI is just too much of a headache. I honestly dont think that device cost that much, we are paying for the development cost not really the product parts cost. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #853 of 9,165
Quote:
No matter how good the sound is the lack of UI is just too much of a headache. I honestly dont think that device cost that much, we are paying for the development cost not really the product parts cost. 

True. But for some reason it just has me interested in trying it out lol. Maybe one day....
smile.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #855 of 9,165
Quote:

Well, you could use it with high impedance headphones. But...I kind of feel enormous open headphones also ruin the portability. What a frustrating little box the AK100 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back