The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #797 of 9,165
Quote:

According to both the iRiver web site, and the jack visible in pictures, there is a line out. Is it not a true line out, or something?

No there is no line out. Just Coaxil. You'll have to double amp and go through the HO to amp it unless your amp has a DAC as well and you can connect them via Coaxil and use the AK100 as a transport instead.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #798 of 9,165
Quote:
Is the screen HD?

What I want to mean is, does the screen have "Retina Display" LIKE (notice I said LIKE) features.

From the pictures it looks so. Just want to confirm.

According to the official product description, it's 320x240 for 2.4" diagonal. Not sure what you mean by "Retina Display LIKE", Retina is called that because it has a very high pixel density, which makes for a sharper look at lower resolution, i.e. no HD display - no Retina-like display either. 320x240 is not HD by any stretch.

Add.: Not that it really matters, it's not a multimedia player anyway...

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #799 of 9,165
What I meant to say is, when you compare the artwork with something that has the Retina Display/HD (ipod touch in my case), all other players seem obsolete.

Now you're going to say, "Isnt this to listen to music?" And yes it is, but the point I'm trying mention is for a screen of this size, will the artwork have the richness as compared with the ipod touch 4g & above? (esp. for the price of $699)

It's a picky thing with me.

I love browsing music files via artwork & I only find the newer ipod touch to deliver that experience. Other players display the artwork sort of blurry.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #801 of 9,165
Quote:
No there is no line out. Just Coaxil. You'll have to double amp and go through the HO to amp it unless your amp has a DAC as well and you can connect them via Coaxil and use the AK100 as a transport instead.

Wow, I had missed that, I just checked the spec sheet. Silly me for looking at the picture on their web site that SAYS it has a line out, I guess they meant HO, as sure enough, you are correct. So it's actually worse than I thought it was. Impressive.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #802 of 9,165
Quote:
What I meant to say is, when you compare the artwork with something that has the Retina Display/HD (ipod touch in my case), all other players seem obsolete. <snip>
I love browsing music files via artwork & I only find the newer ipod touch to deliver that experience. Other players display the artwork sort of blurry.

I'm with you on that (esp. in light of the price...) but I could compromise. In many ways, it's unfortunately like the iPod Classic display hardware-wise (hopefully the other specs like contrast, backlight etc. are improved even if the rez isn't) The UI is different though and if you're interested, this is the most informative video I've seen so far: YouTube link.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #803 of 9,165
Quote:
I'm with you on that (esp. in light of the price...) but I could compromise. In many ways, it's unfortunately like the iPod Classic display hardware-wise (hopefully the other specs like contrast, backlight etc. are improved even if the rez isn't) The UI is different though and if you're interested, this is the most informative video I've seen so far: YouTube link.

Thanks for the link to the video of the UI. It looks nice enough, and quite simple to operate.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #804 of 9,165
Quote:

The AK100 digital output is mini-toslink (optical), not coaxial.

Hmm, my bad & Interesting. Is there any advantage to using Optical over Coaxil? Figure that will make it even less portable as a transport opposed to using Coaxil (generally optical chords are longer and bulkier than Coaxil which isn't ideal for carrying around).

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #805 of 9,165
Quote:

Wow, I had missed that, I just checked the spec sheet. Silly me for looking at the picture on their web site that SAYS it has a line out, I guess they meant HO, as sure enough, you are correct. So it's actually worse than I thought it was. Impressive.

Well it's not the first time they have lied or spread misinformation regarding their product.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #806 of 9,165
Quote:
Well its not the firs time they have lied or spread misinformation regarding their product.

I'm reminded of Shigzeo's quote in my sig....

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #807 of 9,165
That output impedance is going dissuade quite a few people from buying it, I'm afraid. It seems like those who are in the market for a high-quality DAP that doesn't need an additional amp are legion...With my budget in mind, I'm eyeing the X3 and keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a step above the J3.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #808 of 9,165
Quote:
That output impedance is going dissuade quite a few people from buying it, I'm afraid. It seems like those who are in the market for a high-quality DAP that doesn't need an additional amp are legion...With my budget in mind, I'm eyeing the X3 and keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be a step above the J3.

I'd hope it is at least on par with the SFLO2 in sound quality. If it indeed is then it is very much worth owning. However I am still concerned regarding the battery issues not providing the Fiio enough power resulting in the veil. There have been complaints regarding this on the E11 and E17.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #809 of 9,165
I have the E17, but I haven't noticed the veil you mentioned, probably due to it being the only amp I've ever owned. Battery life is a concern, too.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #810 of 9,165
Today I went to Jaben in Singapore to look for new DT770 headband cushions for my aging HD580. While I was there I took the opportunity to audition the AK100 for about 20 minutes. I listened mostly to Sugur Ros as well as some random female jazz vocals at 24bit audio quality and FLAC lossless, respectively. The cans I was using were a pair of woody-modified MS-1s with a silver cable upgrade and bowl ear cushions.

For the 20 minutes I listened to the AK100 I found it to be a great source player. Quite transparent and neutral straight from the headphone jack. I would need a longer audition as well as a few more headphones and a DX100 to compare, but so far it sounded much better then my iPod Classic with a similar setup. Very pleasant overall.

Build-wise the unit is impeccable. Brushed metal on the face and what I think is glass on the back, similar to the iPhone 4/4s. USB, headphone and line out/optical plugs were open with no option of covering them, but the dual SD card slots had a sliding door which looked to be adequately robust. The 3 buttons on the side were a bit small but suited the ratio of the player well. UI and touchscreen were responsive and quite nice to use. The only cravat I have is the volume knob. It was nice to use but seemed to be the weak link in the industrial design. It had good resistance and volume transition was nice and smooth, but I imagine it would be the first thing I would snap off if I used the player in rough environments. Besides this, as an object it truly is a thing of beauty. If the DX100 was a Hummer, the AK100 would be a Mercedes Benz.

As a digital transport I think it would be absolutely lovely. For anyone who has an iRiver iHP1xx in the center of their setup like I do, this would be the upgrade they are waiting for. As a standalone player I would need more time to critically listen, but to tell you the truth I almost pulled the trigger and had to think of all the other things I could do with $860sg (travel, xmas presents for family and friends, lots of ice cream, etc.) just to resist. If I can't push away the urge to upgrade, I will audition it again against a DX100 but like I said, as a transport to replace an iRiver iHP1xx I am seriously lusting after getting the first taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back