The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #5,116 of 9,165
Quote:
I'd be pretty pissed off if I was an AK120 owner right about now. 

The difference between the units has now been pretty much reduced to an extra dac, for almost twice the price.

I'm certainly not denying the SQ is improved in the newer device, however it's value has just taken one more solid kick to the nuts!  
eek.gif

...which may be why A&K didn't give the features to begin with?

May 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #5,118 of 9,165
At least I would have like to have a twice bigger screen on the AK120 :frowning2:

May 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #5,119 of 9,165
Some will still pay the 2x cost , with just a different case or the most minute change
The value individuals place on what each wants, will determine what each is willing to pay

May 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5,120 of 9,165
Quote:
Some will still pay the 2x cost , with just a different case or the most minute change
The value individuals place on what each wants, will determine what each is willing to pay

Absolutely. We are all audiophiles here and ultimately we will pay whatever it takes (within reason) to get the sound we desire. However this little revelation doesn't paint I-River in the greatest light.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic, but the fact the new improved unit's firmware appears to work so seamlessly with the older cheaper unit, gives the impression they were always holding back on the potential of the AK100 in an attempt to charge as much as possible when they released the fully featured AK120. 

May 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5,121 of 9,165
If gapless was available on the AK100 sooner, my money would have most likely been placed on one, instead of a CLAS db....

May 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #5,122 of 9,165
Absolutely. We are all audiophiles here and ultimately we will pay whatever it takes (within reason) to get the sound we desire. However this little revelation doesn't paint I-River in the greatest light.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic, but the fact the new improved unit's firmware appears to work so seamlessly with the older cheaper unit, gives the impression they were always holding back on the potential of the AK100 in an attempt to charge as much as possible when they released the fully featured AK120. 

I think you are totally right, they saw $ and lots of potential after the release of the ak100.. Why fix a product when you can charge twice for the same bug releases..

I just wonder how the russian guy got it to work as the hardware isnt thexsame and he didn't have the source code.

May 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #5,123 of 9,165
Agree
I was just adding another angle
I have knowingly paid more , with other factors playing a part, for stuff

to open or not
to open my AK100, that is the question

May 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5,125 of 9,165
im going to try this russian firmware mod on my Gold Dust.

May 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #5,126 of 9,165
Quote:
I think you are totally right, they saw $ and lots of potential after the release of the ak100.. Why fix a product when you can charge twice for the same bug releases..

I just wonder how the russian guy got it to work as the hardware isnt thexsame and he didn't have the source code.

I was naively thinking maybe a hex editor changing some device name or model number might do the trick when I first saw the AK120 1.00 firmware but seems there are more to that and the russians FTW!

I think my AK100 resell value just rebounded significantly :D   while at the same time my AK120 feels even more expensive tho we all knew it'd be a matter of time the software features will be "synchonised", not unlike the android ROMs

Hopefully this will send a strong signal to AK/iriver that they'd actually gain more customers/market if they had opened up more instead of getting totally embarrassed.

May 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #5,128 of 9,165
just got it working on mine;

main difference is the very very full bodied vocals, vocal and bass depth.

and now im confused bcoz i cant conduct A/B test but... issit me or the soundstaging and imaging improved quite a bit? (it isnt a tremendous difference but i felt so)

May 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #5,129 of 9,165
I am testing the patch as of now and can confirm, it's working. Gapless is working. Only once it didn't. And I tried the same spot the second time and it was working. SQ wise, if I turn the pro eq on, it is lauder and seems like more mids. I think, everything else, like sounstage, bass and highs are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back