The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 12, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #6,736 of 6,859
Still based on Hiby OS though…

Maybe, but the experience is very, very different. For one thing, no touch screen. Also, in addition to USB out, you also get AES and S/PIDF optical/coax. One downside is no MSEB.

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #6,737 of 6,859
Nov 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #6,738 of 6,859
Nov 14, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #6,739 of 6,859
Has anyone had any bad experiences with using bluetooth to listen to music from the R3 II itself? The last DAP I had constantly dropped connection so I upped my budget and am looking at the R3 II. I'm not into having a lossless audio experience, I just want a dedicated music device so I can leave my phone behind. I mainly use Airpods Pro 2nd Gen when I'm on the go but will plug IEMs in at home.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #6,740 of 6,859
Has anyone had any bad experiences with using bluetooth to listen to music from the R3 II itself? The last DAP I had constantly dropped connection so I upped my budget and am looking at the R3 II. I'm not into having a lossless audio experience, I just want a dedicated music device so I can leave my phone behind. I mainly use Airpods Pro 2nd Gen when I'm on the go but will plug IEMs in at home.

The larger the device the larger its antenna. With something like the R3 II's size, you will get better results the closer the device is to the airpods. Try carrying it in your breast pocket (if you have one), to keep it closer.

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #6,741 of 6,859
Bluetooth is still sporadically wonky on the RIII. I'll get stuttering with my headset, then will have to disconnect and reconnect to make it go away. I also get the random disconnect for no reason, every once in a while. Hope this gets a bit sorted out on the the next firmware update.

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #6,742 of 6,859
Hi, I plan to purchase the R3ii to replace my Fiio btr5 2021.
I'd like to not miss calls when listening to music (especially when commuting), which won't happen using btr5 because playback will pause when connected to phone.

Does HibyLink forward information about calls (or notifications) from linked phone to the R3 (playback device) when in DAP mode?

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #6,743 of 6,859
The larger the device the larger its antenna. With something like the R3 II's size, you will get better results the closer the device is to the airpods. Try carrying it in your breast pocket (if you have one), to keep it closer.
That is not entirely accurate though, considering a small device like Q5K has pretty good range? HBB has an old video on the beach comparing Q5K, Fiio and one more with Q5K coming out on top. My previous Q5K unit had absolutely zero issues with its bluetooth range, and the device is about as tiny as they come.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #6,746 of 6,859
Friends, is it true that the sound at output 3.5 is much worse than at output 4.4, as they say in some reviews?
Difficult to answer... Most, if not all, of these are subjective reviews, so what criteria should we use to decide if it is true or false? Balanced output (4.4mm) have objectively higher power limits. But as long as the single output (3.5mm) provides enough power to drive your HP/IEM adequately, I don't think there is any objective data supporting much worse sound quality from the 3.5mm output. See this 2016 (still relevent today!) paper from Benchmark:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...utputs-are-better?_pos=2&_sid=be8ab289f&_ss=r

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #6,747 of 6,859
Friends, is it true that the sound at output 3.5 is much worse than at output 4.4, as they say in some reviews?

Not likely. I have never noticed a sound difference on any of my DAPs between single-ended and balanced provided the output impedance is reasonably low. I am referring to IEMs, not power hungry headphones where you can get clipping. I simply think there is an unconscious bias that balanced is better overall that's not supported by facts.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #6,748 of 6,859
Difficult to answer... Most, if not all, of these are subjective reviews, so what criteria should we use to decide if it is true or false? Balanced output (4.4mm) have objectively higher power limits. But as long as the single output (3.5mm) provides enough power to drive your HP/IEM adequately, I don't think there is any objective data supporting much worse sound quality from the 3.5mm output. See this 2016 (still relevent today!) paper from Benchmark:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...utputs-are-better?_pos=2&_sid=be8ab289f&_ss=r

Thanks for the comments and for the link.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #6,750 of 6,859
Does the R3II (or Hiby DAPs in general) force me to scan the music metadata when a micro sd card is inserted, or can I browse by files immediately? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back