The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #6,721 of 6,859
  1. Hiby R3 II functions as a Bluetooth DAC connecting to computer/phone just like BTR5/BTR7/Q5K.

Yes, it can function as a bluetooth DAC (receiver), but no AptX support. It does do SBC, LDAC and AAC though. And it can transmit as well to BT headphones (perhaps that it obvious).

1. There's probably also a wired DAC mode for phone/computer? (not a dealbreaker)

Yes in wired mode it can act as an external DAC. It can also be a source for another DAC (I use it with my Mojo 2).

You might want to study the specifications, it's a very useful device:

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r3-ii

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #6,722 of 6,859
Yes, it can function as a bluetooth DAC (receiver), but no AptX support. It does do SBC, LDAC and AAC though. And it can transmit as well to BT headphones (perhaps that it obvious).
Sweet, thanks for clarifying :) One more question - any other similar DAPs competing with this one at the moment, or is this one the top dog right now (considering size, price, features, etc.)? I just don't know much about DAPs at all

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #6,723 of 6,859
Sweet, thanks for clarifying :) One more question - any other similar DAPs competing with this one at the moment, or is this one the top dog right now (considering size, price, features, etc.)? I just don't know much about DAPs at all
  • Hiby R2-II: 3.5mm only, but pretty much the same (very!) long list of features.
  • Shanling M0 Pro: super compact, no WiFi, balanced output through a cable adapter.
  • Shanling M1S: positioned as higher-end (not so sure…)

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #6,724 of 6,859

There isn't much competition in this segment of the market, IMO the R3 II is the best. Shanling and Hidizs do make a few competing products, but I don't think they are as feature rich as the Hiby.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #6,729 of 6,859
Am I will be correct if I say: SQ of R3-II is between R3pro (Cirrus CS43131 x 2) and R5-II?
If we take only the SQ, is there a big gap between R3-II vs R5-II?

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #6,731 of 6,859
  • Hiby R2-II: 3.5mm only, but pretty much the same (very!) long list of features.
  • Shanling M0 Pro: super compact, no WiFi, balanced output through a cable adapter.
  • Shanling M1S: positioned as higher-end (not so sure…)
Ended up getting Shanling M1s on sale after watching ZEOS video where he breaks down the weird design, faster processor etc., would have been a tougher choice without the Bluetooth issues on Hiby but I just don't wanna take any risks with having to send stuff back. Thanks guys :)

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #6,732 of 6,859
So v1.1 didn‘t improve on any of my complaints. The only thing I noticed is that album art loads a bit faster (but still won‘t load for 50% at all).

Instead, I tried to feed a Ferrum ERCO via USB-OTG and it was a catastrophe. The Hiby froze up, didn‘t respond, played wrong titles, etc.. Disconnect, reboot, reconnect, play one track, … and then the same all over. Completely unusable!

I really can‘t recommend this device, sorry.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #6,733 of 6,859
So v1.1 didn‘t improve on any of my complaints. The only thing I noticed is that album art loads a bit faster (but still won‘t load for 50% at all).

Instead, I tried to feed a Ferrum ERCO via USB-OTG and it was a catastrophe. The Hiby froze up, didn‘t respond, played wrong titles, etc.. Disconnect, reboot, reconnect, play one track, … and then the same all over. Completely unusable!

I really can‘t recommend this device, sorry.
See if you can find an xDuoo X10T II. It is designed to be a pure digital transport, and should work better with the Ertso.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6,734 of 6,859
See if you can find an xDuoo X10T II. It is designed to be a pure digital transport, and should work better with the Ertso.
That’s indeed an interesting device! Seems to be sold out / discontinued. I hope they’re working on a successor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back