The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #6,421 of 6,862
I tried rolling back to firmware v.3.4, and now I can't play music at all. Every time I try, it says "No music found!" This is a nightmare!
did u try refreshing your music database?

oops, beaten to the punch

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #6,422 of 6,862
I cannot compare the R3 Pro Saber to the Fiio M3 Pro (since I don't own the latter). I can, however, compare the R3 Pro Saber to various Shanling players (M5, M2x, M5s) with AKM DACs. Overall I think those Shanling players are more musical, in particular, how you get the feel for the rhythm with them. M2x and M5s also have more sparkle in the top end. But obviously all those Shanling player are more expensive than the Hiby.

The R3 Pro Saber is a bit less detailed and overall smoother sounding. Yet, I think it delivers really good sound quality. I changed the digital filter from "Low-pass filter low latency" to "Fast filter phase compensated" - this filter seems to extract a bit more detail. Also, I am using the R3 Pro Saber to drive the Sennheiser HD 560S. These are pretty detailed headphones so having a slightly smoother source is actually beneficial. In terms of sound quality the R3 Pro Saber should be a good match for very detailed and/or brighter headphones.

The R3 Pro Saber mostly scores with its overall package: WiFi, Tidal, Qobuz, MQA, Bluetooth, MSEB, etc. Plus nice screen and fast UI. And also a lot of power on 2.5mm balanced out! Considering all of that you really get a lot of value for the price with the R3 Pro Saber.

Want to add to my description here. The Hiby R3 Pro Saber can actually extract a lot of detail. Currently I use it as a source for the AKG K545 and I have set digital filter to “Low pass phase corrected”. With this setup I get nice brilliant, detailed treble and upper mids, as well as a pretty tight, controlled bass. It lets the K545 shine even more than before. In the end this is a better pairing than with Sennheiser HD560S!

Hope that’s not too confusing overall. I’m also still trying to understand how this player handles different pairings…

Oct 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #6,423 of 6,862
I have the R3 pro Saber and really love the sound, I have an issue I hope someone can shed light on.
I have come to accept that I can't use Tidal offline. This means I am restricted to using Tidal at home where I can access WiFi.
As I'm at home, it makes sense to plug the Hiby into my living room amp and enjoy the sound through speakers. So far, so good.
Searching for music on Tidal is not so fun due to the old Nokia style keyboard. If I could use my phone to control the unit from the comfort of my chair, I would be in heaven.
This is where my problems start.

The most desirable solution would be to use the Tidal app on my phone to choose music that the Hiby plays from the server.
Unfortunately, the R3 is not a Tidal Connect device and I have no way of knowing if it ever will be.

The next way I explored is using DLNA.
Connecting this way and using Mconnect, I can play Tidal songs wirelessly.
I have not been able to do this in a way that enables gapless playback.
I have the same problem with BubbleUPnP.

Does anyone know of something that I'm missing?

The Hiby app is nice, but does not allow Hibylink and Tidal browsing together.

The best experience I have had is with UAPP and using the R3 as a DAC, but that involves a long USB cable like a 60s TV remote!
It also drains the phone battery charging the R3.

So close, but frustrating.
I keep checking app updates daily 😄
Have I missed any solutions?
Thanks

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6,424 of 6,862
The next way I explored is using DLNA.
Connecting this way and using Mconnect, I can play Tidal songs wirelessly.
I have not been able to do this in a way that enables gapless playback.
I have the same problem with BubbleUPnP.
Welcome to Head-Fi!

If it helps you are not alone, I've never managed to get gapless working with the R3 or R2. I just have learnt to put up with the gaps when using DLNA.

Gapless is one of those things that if a renderer supports it then assuming its enabled in your client app it should just work. My Chord 2Go for example does gapless with no issues.

I see you are in the UK so perhaps a cheap-ish data only sim and a mobile wireless device may work, that's what I use. A second sim on EE is around 10 quid and then you are allowed to share data from your main sim (160gb in my case) with the data sim. Perhaps other mobile providers allow that option too.

Oct 15, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #6,425 of 6,862
Welcome to Head-Fi!

If it helps you are not alone, I've never managed to get gapless working with the R3 or R2. I just have learnt to put up with the gaps when using DLNA.

Gapless is one of those things that if a renderer supports it then assuming its enabled in your client app it should just work. My Chord 2Go for example does gapless with no issues.

I see you are in the UK so perhaps a cheap-ish data only sim and a mobile wireless device may work, that's what I use. A second sim on EE is around 10 quid and then you are allowed to share data from your main sim (160gb in my case) with the data sim. Perhaps other mobile providers allow that option too.
Thanks 👍😊
I might just go that route in the end.
I bought the R3 so I could go out and about sans phone, the use as a DAC was just a bonus. It's made me want streaming in the living room, so I guess my next birthday present is sorted.
I might take the plunge and start a raspberry pi project!

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #6,429 of 6,862
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #6,430 of 6,862
Hey guys, I don't know what should I choose between the R3 Pro and R3 Pro Saber. I use the 1MORE H1707 headphones. Which one would you advise?

I should be able to compare the two players soon. I hope my parcel from Hifigo arrives next week - and hopefully they have sent me the correct model.

Can even test on H1707 headphones then.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #6,431 of 6,862
Nov 20, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #6,433 of 6,862
Can I play music thru a Bluetooth speaker using my R3 Pro Saber in Bluetooth mode?

Nov 20, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #6,434 of 6,862
Can I play music thru a Bluetooth speaker using my R3 Pro Saber in Bluetooth mode?

The R3 Pro definitely supports BT transmit to either headphones or speaker although some people have had issues depending on the device/codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back