The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #6,106 of 6,859
No, only the official Tidal apps can do that and the R3 doesn't support Spotify at all.
Damn, Thanks anyway @SteveOliver
I wish more of these DAPs allowed offline.
Even if it were an option available at a higher price (to pay for licensing, which I assume is what prevents manufacturers....?) I'd bite, as Streaming servces on a portable device without offline seems somewhat pointless unless you've got a decent smartphone, AND are prepared to pay a fortune for a good cell data service, AND stay within wifi or cell service areas, AND use up your phone battery.
I'd rather pay a bit more for the device so I can use it the way I do my Echobox Explorer (download my playlists, done).
Smaller devices like the R3 pro, Hidizs 80 pro, Tempotec V1-A etc really appeal, but without offline Spot or Tidal they're a bit pointless for me.
I love the streaming services, and rarely convert from disc, or buy HD downloads anymore.

My best solution for small, convenient portable use is looking like a BT adapter like the FIIO BTR5, Shanling U4 or Radsone ES100 (sorry Hiby, your W3 device doesn't appeal at all).

Does anyone think there's any prospect at all of offline coming to the R3 pro in the future?

My dream device would be something like the R3 pro, but with 'offline streaming', and the option to control it via smartphone (could even conceivably do without a screen if Hiby-link would allow 'remote control' of the DAP without constantly draining the phone battery like using both player apps AND Bluetooth at the same time does).

Waddaya think @Joe Bloggs?
Any prospect for offline streaming?

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #6,109 of 6,859
Hi everyone, our full review of the R3 Pro is now out :)

https://headfonics.com/2019/12/hiby-r3-pro-review/

DSCF2183-1.jpg

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #6,112 of 6,859
Even if it were an option available at a higher price (to pay for licensing, which I assume is what prevents manufacturers....?) I'd bite, as Streaming servces on a portable device without offline seems somewhat pointless unless you've got a decent smartphone, AND are prepared to pay a fortune for a good cell data service, AND stay within wifi or cell service areas, AND use up your phone battery.
I'd rather pay a bit more for the device so I can use it the way I do my Echobox Explorer (download my playlists, done).
Smaller devices like the R3 pro, Hidizs 80 pro, Tempotec V1-A etc really appeal, but without offline Spot or Tidal they're a bit pointless for me.
I love the streaming services, and rarely convert from disc, or buy HD downloads anymore.

My best solution for small, convenient portable use is looking like a BT adapter like the FIIO BTR5, Shanling U4 or Radsone ES100 (sorry Hiby, your W3 device doesn't appeal at all).

Does anyone think there's any prospect at all of offline coming to the R3 pro in the future?

My dream device would be something like the R3 pro, but with 'offline streaming', and the option to control it via smartphone (could even conceivably do without a screen if Hiby-link would allow 'remote control' of the DAP without constantly draining the phone battery like using both player apps AND Bluetooth at the same time does).

I don't see it coming unless TIDAL starts allowing it--then it would probably start showing up on all non android DAPs all of a sudden.

Probably a very basic question. But since it doesn't support spotify, can it be used as a portable dac for Android smartphones say like fiio's q1 m2? And for Bluetooth function, is it a wireless dac or just a Bluetooth receiver?
It can be a USB DAC for android smartphones. What do you mean by a wireless DAC? A bluetooth receiver takes the digital bluetooth signal and converts it to analog headphone output--this by definition is a wireless DAC. But apparently you're thinking of something more?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #6,113 of 6,859
I don't see it coming unless TIDAL starts allowing it--then it would probably start showing up on all non android DAPs all of a sudden.
Oops, I was thinking that the R3 pro was an Android DAP for a minute.
The Tidal online access keeps fooling me into thinking "since it can do Tidal, surely offline can't be that much more difficult".
It's a damn shame as this DAP is very attractive in all other respects.

Can non Android devices provide offline Spotify, or does that share the same difficulties?

Dec 20, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #6,115 of 6,859

It can be a USB DAC for android smartphones. What do you mean by a wireless DAC? A bluetooth receiver takes the digital bluetooth signal and converts it to analog headphone output--this by definition is a wireless DAC. But apparently you're thinking of something more?
No, that's pretty much what I asked for. Thank you Joe.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #6,117 of 6,859
Would anyone be able and willing to compare the R3 Pro with Sony A55? same price range, but sony's runtime is double - and that is a lure :)

of course, only considering regular IEMs (below 50 ohm).
Well, Sony doesn't say anything about their amp specs, but from the runtime specs we're led to believe that they are class D amps and/or of very low power output. Probably nothing wrong with that sonically, especially with efficient IEMs, but then by the same token nothing is wrong with the headphone port on your average smartphone either. (If it still has one)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 22, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #6,118 of 6,859

Ever heard of tidal-dl? Works great in combination with termux on Android.
There you have your offline Tidal.

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #6,119 of 6,859
Ever heard of tidal-dl? Works great in combination with termux on Android.
There you have your offline Tidal.
I haven't heard of either.
I shall investigate, thanks.

EDIT:

OK, I had a quick look, and it looks like you need an Android device to run termux and tidal-dl, so I can't see how it would help the R3?

Android cell phones can already do both Spotify and Tidal offline, so I'm struggling to see the utility of these apps in this context.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #6,120 of 6,859
I haven't heard of either.
I shall investigate, thanks.

EDIT:

OK, I had a quick look, and it looks like you need an Android device to run termux and tidal-dl, so I can't see how it would help the R3?

Android cell phones can already do both Spotify and Tidal offline, so I'm struggling to see the utility of these apps in this context.
Am I missing something?

I think it means you have to use the PC version for Windows and download the Hi-Fi files you want and than to the SD card of your DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back