The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #6,077 of 6,859
Ok now how do you install the damn things lol. Instructions around aren't very plentiful.

I've searched google and the thread. I've put the files on the root of the micro sd card and also put them in folders named themes and custom themes- nothing.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #6,084 of 6,859
Custom 3.4 Firmware

3.4 International ver. (from Kickstarter etc., aka "bar version");
3.4 Chinese ver. (from JD etc., aka "slash version". Rename the file to r3.upt before updating)

Note: to find out which version of player you have, you can open "About" page and see what sign (bar or slash) stays between free and whole memory in "Capacity" line.

1. corrected translation (Russian and English),
2. replaced the font with a new one by XVortex,
3. customized both themes (some pictures, icons, their locations, etc. were replaced), increased font size in some layouts, main screen of the second theme is based on Hexagon theme by Steven Van Geert,
4. repaired choosing color sliders in the second theme,
5. added ADB (Android Debug Bridge) to dock mode,
6. replaced the index page when connect R3 to PC via Wi-Fi (now always in English), changed sort order (folders go first, then files, in order of names: at the beginning the numbers, then Latin, then Russian) and new file formats were added: upt, txt, log, and t,
7. added an internet radio icon to the top bar and replaced the built-in chinese radio stations (40 stations now, if stations list hasn't changed after FW upgrade, you should restore player to factory settings from system menu),
others you can personally add to radio.txt file and then save it in the root of your SD card,
8. striped all binary files,
9. optimized all png files,
10. removed unnecessary files and folders that are not used,
11. extended database limit to 65000 tracks,
12. added automatically connecting function to known Wi-Fi networks,
13. added automatically start playback function after player is turning on (you should save key_settings.conf file in the root of SD card with "autoplay=1" line),
14. added reverse Next and Previous buttons function (you should also have key_settings.conf file in the root of SD card with "reverse=1" line).

Last update: 03.12.2019

Original 3.4 Firmware, if you have problem with OTA or custom FW.
Several custom themes for original 3.4 FW with examples.

I've been using your custom SW for a while now and I really like it! Looks better and is more user friendly - BIG THANK YOU at this point!
I also wanted to try the custom themes, created a folder "Theme" and copied the *.t files from your link above into the folder.
But I can't see them in the R3's settings.

Are there any limitations in terms of how many themes you can put into the folder or any other things I need to consider?
I checked the thread but could not find any other information than putting the files into a "theme" folder.

Thanks in advance! George

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #6,085 of 6,859
created a folder "Theme"

Hey, George, name of the folder should starts with small letter “t”. I don’t use any custom theme because they look rather awful on my custom FW. I didn’t find any limitations with themes files.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #6,086 of 6,859
Just returned my hidizs ap80 due to wobbly volume wheel, tempted to give the r3 another go. From a software point of view the r3 looks like its pretty much where it needs to be? Especially with the custom FW

Should I get a cheaper r3, the newer repro??

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #6,087 of 6,859
Just returned my hidizs ap80 due to wobbly volume wheel, tempted to give the r3 another go. From a software point of view the r3 looks like its pretty much where it needs to be? Especially with the custom FW

Should I get a cheaper r3, the newer repro??
Without actually having heard it, I would get the Pro model.
While I really like the R3 form factor an UI, I am not the biggest fan of it's SQ.
It's maybe a little unfair, since I am comparing it to the Mojo I have stacked with it, and it doesn't sound bad, but the available reviews look like the Pro is a step in the right direction regarding SQ.
And additionally the higher power and longer battery life time make it even more a no-brainer IMO.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #6,088 of 6,859
Hey, George, name of the folder should starts with small letter “t”. I don’t use any custom theme because they look rather awful on my custom FW. I didn’t find any limitations with themes files.

Thanks! It was indeed the folder name...

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #6,090 of 6,859
Could you try one more time download and check hexagon theme?
I was just about to write that the Hexagon theme actually looks really nice with the custom FW!
It works best IMO with theme color off, which gives a dark grey kind of graphite look or with a subdued color, and it looks very elegant.
Also the text is easily readable with the uniform pattern in the background.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
141D8370-F35D-4A61-8027-347C874A0E70.jpeg B73FE026-2D03-4ECC-9D15-33CC9A4943A7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back