The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 30, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #5,956 of 6,859
mp3s (or most other file formats) contain metadata that list the artist, album, year, genre, etc. These are the tags I'm referring to. When you say your files are going into a folder I very much doubt they are actually being moved anywhere, what you mean is they are displaying as "Unknown Folder" rather than grouping with the rest of the album. This should all usually depend on what's in the tags. Check in a tag editor or even, in Windows anyway, just right-click->properties-> details & see they've got the same values as their fellow, correct files. The R3 will group files as per what it sees in those tags. It does occasionally struggle with special characters.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #5,957 of 6,859
When I first added files to my Hiby r3, I also had some "unknown" files. I can confirm that this is a result of mp3 files not being properly tagged.

This can be easily fixed, but depending on how many "unknown" files you have, it can be time consuming.

I should point out that this isn't the fault of Hiby, but a result of mp3 files that did not include proper meta data.

There is software out there that can correct the mp3 files. Once these corrections are made the files will show up on your player(s) with proper information.

There are many software programs out there that can help.. Since you are new to this and it can get a little overwhelming, I'd suggest something more on the basic side to start with. Once you understand things a little more, you may want to try programs that may offer more options.

For starters I'd suggest this one:

http://massid3lib.sourceforge.net

Also, if you search on youtube, you'll find some instructional videos about mp3 tagging.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #5,960 of 6,859
I would say yes, some people are waiting for features to be added via a firmware update that may or may not happen. For me its a mostly perfect great sounding DAP with just one issue it can't stream Qobuz, this feature just doesn't work, which is a shame

Wouldn't it be great if they added Amazon Music HD in the next firmware update? That would be a very sweet spot for me. Of course, the R5 already does that, but the R3 is such a great form factor for shirt pocket use.

Nov 4, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #5,961 of 6,859
Wouldn't it be great if they added Amazon Music HD in the next firmware update? That would be a very sweet spot for me. Of course, the R5 already does that, but the R3 is such a great form factor for shirt pocket use.

After I found out that I can stream Tidal or whatever else via Bluetooth from the phone to the R3 I have stopped using the built-in Tidal function.
It's a million times more convenient to navigate on the Tidal app on the iPad or iPhone and stream to the R3.
It even works with the R3/Mojo stack, so I can use the iPhone user interface and get Mojo SQ. Love it.

Nov 4, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #5,962 of 6,859
After I found out that I can stream Tidal or whatever else via Bluetooth from the phone to the R3 I have stopped using the built-in Tidal function.
It's a million times more convenient to navigate on the Tidal app on the iPad or iPhone and stream to the R3.
It even works with the R3/Mojo stack, so I can use the iPhone user interface and get Mojo SQ. Love it.

I've been using my R5 for Amazon UltraHD when I go wired with my higher end IEMs ever since the R5 update was released but I still have Tidal at the moment as well. I did pick up some AirPods Pro last week and darn if they aren't perfectly acceptable for wireless use and very convenient to use direct from my iPhone. Granted that my age-impared ears (58) are probably not the best test for sound quality...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,963 of 6,859

Yes, that would be very good and I would certainly use that feature

That means the audio is compressed (AAC for Apple devices) over the Bluetooth connection, it does sound OK/good yes but I wouldn't do it for "critical" listening.

IMHO listening this way would be a waste of my Tidal HiFi subscription.

I can understand that for most people it is perfectly acceptable though.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #5,964 of 6,859
There's a long awaited long list of fixes to the R3 firmware that I translated yesterday... :sweat_smile:
Watch for an update to come soon?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #5,965 of 6,859
That means the audio is compressed (AAC for Apple devices) over the Bluetooth connection, it does sound OK/good yes but I wouldn't do it for "critical" listening.
IMHO listening this way would be a waste of my Tidal HiFi subscription.
I can understand that for most people it is perfectly acceptable though.

Thanks for that info - I was under the impression that the iOS and R3 were capable of transmitting CD quality digital data via Bluetooth.
But you are absolutely right - comparing Tidal via BT and Tidal lossless via cable makes a clear difference.
Good to know. Back to cables...

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #5,967 of 6,859
IMG_20191105_132933368.jpg
IMG_20191105_132922914.jpg
Downloading FW 3.4 right now. Thanks for the info, @Joe Bloggs!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #5,968 of 6,859
Oh thats nice!
ill install that update later.
i love my hiby with E1DA 9038s.. sounds so much better and interface is working great on it.
I hope its not just Streaming codec stuff that they fixed

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #5,969 of 6,859
Great news to read that there's a new firmware update. Due to not seeing a download file on Hiby's site, I tried something different (to me).
I downloaded directly from my r3 (usually, I dowload and place on my SD card).
After the direct download, I'm unsure how to proceed.
Could someone explain how I am able to update this firmware ? (after I have downloaded this directly from my R3).
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back