The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Oct 11, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #5,926 of 6,859
The R3 does bit-perfect, perfect :) , but only when the gain is set to high and the volume is set to 100. This is when using USB, I'm not sure I've ever had the R3 outputting bit-perfect when using the USB to coax wire though.
How do you know whether it's outputting bit perfect from the USB->Coax? At least the Mojo light for sampling frequency shows correctly when I play different source material from R3->coax->Mojo? I went with the coax cable rather than looking for a USBC->micro cable, since I had measured better battery life on the Mojo using coax input vs USB.

Where is the best short usb cable for R3/Mojo available?

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #5,927 of 6,859
The R3 does bit-perfect, perfect :) , but only when the gain is set to high and the volume is set to 100. This is when using USB, I'm not sure I've ever had the R3 outputting bit-perfect when using the USB to coax wire though.

I tried ur advise on the R3 but it still does not sound bit perfect to me compared to other device mentioned. I quess you refer to the headphone out and not USB out.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #5,928 of 6,859
How do you know whether it's outputting bit perfect from the USB->Coax? At least the Mojo light for sampling frequency shows correctly when I play different source material from R3->coax->Mojo? I went with the coax cable rather than looking for a USBC->micro cable, since I had measured better battery life on the Mojo using coax input vs USB.

Where is the best short usb cable for R3/Mojo available?

I don't believe the connection is bit-perfect when using the USB to coax wire, in any case I have no idea how to prove if it is or isn't.

I agree with your findings too, the Mojo uses less power when connected via coax or optical but if you need a USB C to micro USB cable then I can recommend the Shanling L2 cable.

Oct 11, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #5,929 of 6,859
I tried ur advise on the R3 but it still does not sound bit perfect to me compared to other device mentioned. I quess you refer to the headphone out and not USB out.

What makes you reach this conclusion. I have no way to prove it but over USB with 100% volume and high gain I "assumed" it was bit-perfect. MQA renders properly (purple light) on my iFi xDSD, anyway.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #5,930 of 6,859
What makes you reach this conclusion. I have no way to prove it but over USB with 100% volume and high gain I "assumed" it was bit-perfect. MQA renders properly (purple light) on my iFi xDSD, anyway.

Same here, have nothing to prove it. Just using my ears and comparing with USB Audio Player Pro its bit perfect output for example. Sound is just not comparable.

MQA requires to be bit perfect for the enabled dac to unfold the file.

I wish Hiby would create a bit perfect setting. But they claim the R3 is bit perfect without MSEB. To me the R3 is too colored in sound to be bit perfect.

When MSEB is enabled without any changes the volume drops.

Oct 11, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #5,931 of 6,859
22e00f45.jpg

Oct 11, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #5,934 of 6,859
Same here, have nothing to prove it. Just using my ears and comparing with USB Audio Player Pro its bit perfect output for example. Sound is just not comparable.

MQA requires to be bit perfect for the enabled dac to unfold the file.

I wish Hiby would create a bit perfect setting. But they claim the R3 is bit perfect without MSEB. To me the R3 is too colored in sound to be bit perfect.

When MSEB is enabled without any changes the volume drops.

As others commented, how can it possibly not be bit perfect if even MQA can be decoded from the R3 USB output? Bit perfectness is like a prerequisite for MQA decoding...

And considering the hoops an android device has to jump through to defeat system resampling on any output and how a custom OS like HiBy OS on the R3 would be built from the ground up for bit perfectness, it would be a massive fail of unimaginable proportions if the R3 turns out to not be bit perfect while UAPP is...

P.S. Please set your volume to 100/100 and gain to high to guarantee bit perfect digital output

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 12, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,935 of 6,859
As others commented, how can it possibly not be bit perfect if even MQA can be decoded from the R3 USB output? Bit perfectness is like a prerequisite for MQA decoding...

And considering the hoops an android device has to jump through to defeat system resampling on any output and how a custom OS like HiBy OS on the R3 would be built from the ground up for bit perfectness, it would be a massive fail of unimaginable proportions if the R3 turns out to not be bit perfect while UAPP is...

P.S. Please set your volume to 100/100 and gain to high to guarantee bit perfect digital output

To be clear. When playing MQA the R3 sounds great (bit perfect). I find that when playing non MQA tracks with Tidal it sound different/coloured.

High gain cannot be changed as the setting is grayed out when usb output is selected. However when a headphone out is selected I can select High Gain.

Oct 12, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #5,936 of 6,859
To be clear. When playing MQA the R3 sounds great (bit perfect). I find that when playing non MQA tracks with Tidal it sound different/coloured.

High gain cannot be changed as the setting is grayed out when usb output is selected. However when a headphone out is selected I can select High Gain.

Just to confirm, you have turned off all the EQ, MSEB etc. I select high gain before I plug in the USB DAC, not sure if it makes any difference though. I will do some more critical listening today and see if I can detect what you are hearing.

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #5,938 of 6,859
Just to confirm, you have turned off all the EQ, MSEB etc. I select high gain before I plug in the USB DAC, not sure if it makes any difference though. I will do some more critical listening today and see if I can detect what you are hearing.

Yup all EQ and MSEB turned off. When USB out is selected the setting is grayed out. I think this only applies to headphone out.

Oct 12, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #5,940 of 6,859
Some more findings for what it's worth, in summary the R3 is doing something different with its output depending on the USB cable used. So if in doubt try a different cable.

IMG_20191012_105642.jpg

Here whatever the volume level the player is set at 0-100 as makes no difference, the level output by Hugo 2 is always the same. (bit-perfect?)

IMG_20191012_110241.jpg

Here the volume level changes as it is altered in on the R3 and the purple MQA light goes off when not at 100 volume.

My conclusion, the Hugo 2 setup with the Forza AudioWorks cable may well be bit-perfect, whilst the xDSD with its cable is only bit-perfect when the gain is high and the volume is 100

Sound-wise both setups sound good to me and I really like the xDSD with R3, controversially I like it better than Hugo 2, so what does that say about me. :)

This is my last post on the subject, in case anybody is finding this boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back