The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Aug 4, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #5,731 of 6,859
I couldn't get ota working at all. Always reverted back to 2.4 or something whenever i tried. I've had to manually update it every time. Currently running 3.2

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #5,732 of 6,859
MQA only works with Tidal or it does rendering with Hiby Player too?

Hiby just mentioned on Facebook they have shown a new player at Beijing HiFi show. R3 Pro coming?
It renders on the R3 inside and outside of TIDAL. Only in TIDAL on the R6(pro).

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #5,733 of 6,859
Aug 5, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #5,734 of 6,859
Thanks. Does the R5 will support MQA?
I believe it will be similar to the R6(pro) regarding MQA, because of the similar SoC, and because this DAC does not decode MQA inside either. So, it would rely on app-level MQA decoding via e.g. TIDAL and UAPP.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,736 of 6,859
I believe it will be similar to the R6(pro) regarding MQA, because of the similar SoC, and because this DAC does not decode MQA inside either. So, it would rely on app-level MQA decoding via e.g. TIDAL and UAPP.

Cool. I already use Hiby App and UAPP with my Essential Phone but I really want a DAP, preferably with Play Store access. Hopefully it's competitively priced, I'm expecting 350-400€.

Aug 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #5,737 of 6,859
Have a question about slow loading thumbnail album artwork.

If I scroll slowly, it takes about a half-second for album artwork to load. I've noticed that if I want to get to a certain alphabet letter and scroll fast, once I get to the specific alphabet letter, it can take 20 seconds or more for the album artwork to load.

Anyone found a fix to this? If so, please let me know.

I was curious if the Chinese models run faster? Personally, I don't use Tidal and wondered if this took up memory on the device. Can anyone confirm?

I'm going to try something and if anyone is interested, I'll post my results.
I plan to go through each music file (and I have *a lot* of folders) and remove unnecessary jpg's. Lot's of my folders contain photos of CD, booklets, back cover etc. Then, I'm also going to search for the size of all my cover artwork. If any files are unusually big, I'm going to reduce the size (making the file smaller). I don't know if this will make a difference or not, but if anyone would like to know the results, let me know and I'll post a follow-up.

Aug 11, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #5,739 of 6,859
I’d be interested to hear if that makes a noticeable difference.

This does make a (slight) difference.

I have over 22,000 mp3's. I have a sanDisk 400 GB (I use the enhanced firmware supplied by snoopy112). I removed countless images. Basically, many of my folders had a range of 4 to 10 jpgs (some files contained scans of the back cover, pages, the CD disc itself etc...) . I removed all the jpgs in these folders except the cover art.

The noticeable differences :
If you scroll *really* fast, images will still take 1/4 seconds to load, but if you click on a folder, there's no additional delay for that folder to open.
In the past, I would scroll to a different alphabet letter and click a folder and it would take many seconds for my finger tap to be acknowledged. Also, if you scroll fast and click a letter (on the right side of the screen) the images seem to load faster than before.

Things that didn't change:
If you scroll really fast and go back and forth, there can still be some delay in images loading. Personally, this usually occurs once I scroll down to the R's or S's.
If you scroll slow (enough to bring up the next five entries) images will still have to load (only takes a split second though). I wish it was as lightening fast as when scrolling on a cellphone.

If you ever wondered when doing an "update database" scan, if it counts jpegs into the equation, I can tell you that it doesn't. After a removal of hundreds (if not over a thousand) jpegs, I did a update scan and the number of files remained the same.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #5,742 of 6,859
Does anyone know if there are any plans to update to the Hibylink App?

Anyone else having problems? I'm listing my issues and would like to know if it's just me or if others are also experiencing the below. I use an iphone with the latest OS.

When I click the "artist" tab and then load the "album" view, if there are more than five albums in a single folder, it will display icons with no titles. If I click an icon, it will crash

Artwork only shows up on the song playing and not when scrolling songs, albums etc...

After firmware 3.0, album artwork does not show up at all.

Also, when using firmware 2.1 or 3.0 , album artwork is fuzzy (even with high resolution jpgs). After firmware 3.0, there is no album artwork thumbnail at all.

Anyone else using an iphone and having better results?

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,743 of 6,859
Does anyone know if there are any plans to update to the Hibylink App?

Anyone else having problems? I'm listing my issues and would like to know if it's just me or if others are also experiencing the below. I use an iphone with the latest OS.

When I click the "artist" tab and then load the "album" view, if there are more than five albums in a single folder, it will display icons with no titles. If I click an icon, it will crash

Artwork only shows up on the song playing and not when scrolling songs, albums etc...

After firmware 3.0, album artwork does not show up at all.

Also, when using firmware 2.1 or 3.0 , album artwork is fuzzy (even with high resolution jpgs). After firmware 3.0, there is no album artwork thumbnail at all.

Anyone else using an iphone and having better results?
Please note that album artwork data has to be transmitted from the R3 to the iPhone through the Bluetooth connection. This is not really feasible with the low speed offered by Apple via the BLE connection (only type of connection available), thus the fuzzy thumbnails and later no thumbnails.

Please also note that the Chinese firmware is the same as the International version--TIDAL doesn't show up when you select Chinese as the display language, this is the same in both versions.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #5,744 of 6,859
I hope this question hasn't already been asked (I searched and couldn't find an answer).

I am having difficulty with the "shuffle" option. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I go to "play setting" and set "play mode" to "shuffle" and then click "Ok."
The problem is, that it only seems to shuffle songs that are inside of a particular folder.
For instance: If the last song I played was from Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies" then it will only shuffle songs from that album.
Is there a way to have the unit shuffle every song on my dap and not just songs limited to one folder?

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #5,745 of 6,859
Why cannot developers from HiBy unblock 20000 songs limitation? Apparently is it possible (ask Snoopy112 for help). I wanted to buy a bigger card (256gb now) and it would be only wasted money 'cause my Flac and mp3 collection is 17000 now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back