The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 16, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,661 of 6,859
So I can't figure out why the bass response on this unit is so darned weak.

I am starting to wonder if the impedance that was planned for is not what we are actually getting. In other words, maybe the poor bass response is in fact an impedance issue.

Has anybody tested the actual impedance of this unit?

I know one or two others have mentioned poor bass response, and others say its great.

I have problems with the FLC8S in balanced, and through my car through the regular 3.5mm jack fed to auxiliary out.

I have no problems with either scenario with my Cayin N5II, and the 3.5 output of my Shalings is just fine with regard to bass in both IEM and car scenarios.
I've been very happy with the bass response. With one set of IEMs I do use MSEB to slightly extend the bass response and back off the upper midrange. Otherwise, the bass response has been great.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #3,662 of 6,859
I want to add comments on my experience with the R3. I've been listening to it with both a CA Andromeda and the Massdrop Focal Elex using the SE output. I've put in about 1 hour with the Elex and maybe 10hrs with the Andromeda. That's about the total time on the R3 so it may not be fully burned in yet. Both pairs very well. No hiss with the Andromeda. The Elex requires volume to be pushed to 70+. One warning for those who want to use the original Elex cables to connect to the R3, the device is very small and light and the cable needs the 3.5" adapter. The cable connector with adapter is a little large and heavy compared to the DAP. I fear the plug snapping. I'm going to look into an L shaped adapter and maybe a 2.5" balanced cable.

Sound wise, it's pretty good. Very detailed and very good bass thump. The sound stage feels pretty wide. I'm no expert audiophile but it seems the mids are not as prevalent as a dragonfly red or mojo without EQ. Usability wise, I haven't had any problems with it yet. The UI is pretty snappy. No delays between touching a track and play starting. Even DSD plays immediately. Wifi works well. Bluetooth and Hiby link works really well from my iPhone. The only thing I would like to see implemented (if not already) is the ability for the iPhone to send streamed music to the R3. If this feature is already implemented, and someone knows how to make it work, I'd love to hear it.

Battery life on this thing is pretty good. I think the stated time was somewhere between 9-11hrs. I believe it. The device turns off after a long period of inactivity so there is a delay turning it back on. It's a little annoying but the delay is short, and I can live with that.

One last thing, I ordered the extra leather case, but it's really not needed. The free plastic and lcd cover that comes with it are really nice. I'm not sure I'm going to even use the leather case when I get it.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I was looking at getting the A&K Futura, but I may hold off on that for awhile. The main thing it would provide is perhaps more power to my headphones, maybe?

One last thing, a warning. The device remembers the last volume setting. In general, that's a very good thing, but if you're switching between full size headphones and iems, watch out. If you were last listening with the full size cans, you may have the volume way too high. This is something I can learn to keep aware of.

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,663 of 6,859
I want to add comments on my experience with the R3. I've been listening to it with both a CA Andromeda and the Massdrop Focal Elex using the SE output. I've put in about 1 hour with the Elex and maybe 10hrs with the Andromeda. That's about the total time on the R3 so it may not be fully burned in yet. Both pairs very well. No hiss with the Andromeda. The Elex requires volume to be pushed to 70+. One warning for those who want to use the original Elex cables to connect to the R3, the device is very small and light and the cable needs the 3.5" adapter. The cable connector with adapter is a little large and heavy compared to the DAP. I fear the plug snapping. I'm going to look into an L shaped adapter and maybe a 2.5" balanced cable.

Sound wise, it's pretty good. Very detailed and very good bass thump. The sound stage feels pretty wide. I'm no expert audiophile but it seems the mids are not as prevalent as a dragonfly red or mojo without EQ. Usability wise, I haven't had any problems with it yet. The UI is pretty snappy. No delays between touching a track and play starting. Even DSD plays immediately. Wifi works well. Bluetooth and Hiby link works really well from my iPhone. The only thing I would like to see implemented (if not already) is the ability for the iPhone to send streamed music to the R3. If this feature is already implemented, and someone knows how to make it work, I'd love to hear it.

Battery life on this thing is pretty good. I think the stated time was somewhere between 9-11hrs. I believe it. The device turns off after a long period of inactivity so there is a delay turning it back on. It's a little annoying but the delay is short, and I can live with that.

One last thing, I ordered the extra leather case, but it's really not needed. The free plastic and lcd cover that comes with it are really nice. I'm not sure I'm going to even use the leather case when I get it.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I was looking at getting the A&K Futura, but I may hold off on that for awhile. The main thing it would provide is perhaps more power to my headphones, maybe?

One last thing, a warning. The device remembers the last volume setting. In general, that's a very good thing, but if you're switching between full size headphones and iems, watch out. If you were last listening with the full size cans, you may have the volume way too high. This is something I can learn to keep aware of.
Also try the crossfade feature.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #3,664 of 6,859
:)

re: your comments on the R3 with your Elex are interesting, so here’s my :) & R3 experience so far!

I’ve got well over 100 HRs on my R3 & all my :) have 1000hrs + so but in now is not a concern.

I have the vol limited to 85 & I have no issue with the volume on any of my :) & depending on how the tracks we’re recorded my normal listening levelbis set @ either 49, 56, 63 or 69 & incall cases those volumes cover more than enough vol dynamics etc from all genres of music I listen to.
As I take my :) &R3 outside everyday to the cafe & walking around I don’t use my JDS Labs C5 amp or my iFi Nano iDSD to pump it up for convenience simplify & portability sake.
So I’ve done most of my listening outside & the majority on my Denon AH-D7200:) maybe 80-85% & my Focal Elear 15-20% & athime my Audioquest NightHawks about 15-20% of the time as we’ll borrowed from the other :) use & have used the 2:) amps as well which match perfectly.
O had a pair of audiophile 3rd party:) se cables made that match perfectly

So I’ve found absolutely no issue with lack of volume or base etc. & that’s listening to the R3 flat no 8 ball eq etc.

I’m actually starting to prefer my Denon’s over the Elear as they seem to be more of the overall sound I like. It this started before I got the R3 so it had no impact on my preference atm.

All in all the R3 paired with my 3:) is providing lots of listening enjoyment just as I had expected from the get go...

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,665 of 6,859
:)

re: your comments on the R3 with your Elex are interesting, so here’s my :) & R3 experience so far!

I’ve got well over 100 HRs on my R3 & all my :) have 1000hrs + so but in now is not a concern.

I have the vol limited to 85 & I have no issue with the volume on any of my :) & depending on how the tracks we’re recorded my normal listening levelbis set @ either 49, 56, 63 or 69 & incall cases those volumes cover more than enough vol dynamics etc from all genres of music I listen to.
As I take my :) &R3 outside everyday to the cafe & walking around I don’t use my JDS Labs C5 amp or my iFi Nano iDSD to pump it up for convenience simplify & portability sake.
So I’ve done most of my listening outside & the majority on my Denon AH-D7200:) maybe 80-85% & my Focal Elear 15-20% & athime my Audioquest NightHawks about 15-20% of the time as we’ll borrowed from the other :) use & have used the 2:) amps as well which match perfectly.
O had a pair of audiophile 3rd party:) se cables made that match perfectly

So I’ve found absolutely no issue with lack of volume or base etc. & that’s listening to the R3 flat no 8 ball eq etc.

I’m actually starting to prefer my Denon’s over the Elear as they seem to be more of the overall sound I like. It this started before I got the R3 so it had no impact on my preference atm.

All in all the R3 paired with my 3:) is providing lots of listening enjoyment just as I had expected from the get go...

On my Andromedas, I usually listen at volume < 40. On my Elex, it needs > 70 on the same tracks. I've had it happen once switching from the Elex to the Andromedas with the volume still at > 70. Luckily, pausing playback immediately was easy so my ears are still intact :). The fact that it was able to power the Focal makes me happy. I do not want to carry another portable amp with me. That's fine for table top listening, but this thing is for walk around listening. I'm looking forward to hearing how well an Aeon Flow Closed or CA Cascade pairs with this dap. I want a full size closed headphone I can travel with.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,666 of 6,859
On my Andromedas, I usually listen at volume < 40. On my Elex, it needs > 70 on the same tracks. I've had it happen once switching from the Elex to the Andromedas with the volume still at > 70. Luckily, pausing playback immediately was easy so my ears are still intact :). The fact that it was able to power the Focal makes me happy. I do not want to carry another portable amp with me. That's fine for table top listening, but this thing is for walk around listening. I'm looking forward to hearing how well an Aeon Flow Closed or CA Cascade pairs with this dap. I want a full size closed headphone I can travel with.

Ic where you’re coming from on that vol point.

I agree & those vol settings I stated are for all 3:) again depending on music genre & how they were recorded so ive got a lot of latitude to work with so it’s nice that the R3 isn’t lacking in use @ least for my :) & yours by the sounds of it, although I don’t listen to iem as they bother me/my ears after short listening so I use oeh primarily have a pair of iem for emergencies & travel tho.
Agree about the ability to drive the Focals etc as it just makes it so much easier & enjoyable to not have to pac extra gear aroundcto enjoy yiurcsounds.
Yes it’s great that it pauses when you switch hp & there’s a lot of features that make it easy to use like the Hiby Link which is v convenient.

Don’t know about the Flow or Cascades but if you’ve not heard the Denon’s I’m using givebthem a good audition & you might just be rewarded as I’ve been, I love them!

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #3,667 of 6,859
I rip all my files with dbpoweramp and my album art comes through with no problem, if a little slow to load.
Ok, I figured out the problem. Didn't have 'Export To Folder' checked. Works fine now. Didn't bother before because nVidia Shield shows cover art without cover file in folder. This is good because I love dBpoweramp. Been using it for gosh, 15 years, maybe more.

Right now, I'm down-converting all the album cover art on R3 from 1400 x 1400 to 500 x 500. :unamused:

Addendum: Ok, it's been 4 hours. I'm on the Ks (k. d. lang at the moment). Been doing a 'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee' marathon at the same time. I'm a winner.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #3,669 of 6,859
Ok, I've done about 50h overall on the R3 with about 5h with it paired to a ifi Nano BL and 10h paired with the Chord Mojo. Both match very well both audibly and physically with the R3, and pushing mid-fi cans (HD580, HE4XX, Beyer T1.2) on either is quite satisfactory. As much as I love ifi products, IMHO the Mojo is definitely a step up, however anyone pairing the Nano BL with the R3 will be happy, I feel.

Currently using the Mojo with coax but have a USB OTG cable on the way. Will do some testing with both connections, but so far coax sounds pretty good and I don't have any DSD files above DSD64 so a bit skeptical that USB will provide any audible improvements (or detriments) for me. Also worried a bit about a pure USB connection due to my usecase (portable) and the robustness of the connectors. So far coax has been quite solid in that regard but will continue to do testing.

As a transport, the R3 delivers. Now let's wait to see how the software development progresses...

20180717_095610.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #3,670 of 6,859
Also try the crossfade feature.
Tell me more about the crossfade feature. Without a manual I rely on people who have figured out some of this. Also, in the top drop-down menu, what is that round thing with horizontal lines in it? Equalizer on/off?

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #3,672 of 6,859
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #3,674 of 6,859

Streaming from phone works very well. Make sure Bluetooth is turned on on both devices and paired. Easy peasy

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #3,675 of 6,859
Boy, downconverting the album art was worth the effort. Artwork comes up much quicker when scrolling. However, hope I don't have go through that again. lol Few other problems fixed as well. Funny how an errant apostrophe can screw things up. Will keep hires artwork on external hard drive for nVidia Shield, it gets projected onto 130" screen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back