The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,646 of 6,859
I had to fix the number of 2.4GHz wifi SSID, I mean, I changed Auto to channel number 6 that at that time was almost free inside my neighbour battle.
Wifi worked and Tidal as well

It's just strange because Wifi and Tidal both work. I can connect to my Tidal account and view my playlists, but I get the "playback failed' error when trying to play anything.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3,647 of 6,859
I took my R3 to the Berkshires this past week and came home to find the balanced cables for my Creative Aurvanas had arrived. Wow! I'm very pleased with the sound. Wifi is working OK, AND Bluetooth too. So I'm very happy.

That being said, I haven't tried DAC mode and may not try it. I don't use Tidal and not even sure what Hibylink is. I have hi-res files and 44/16 ripped files on a 2000GB card.

I tend to use IEMs with this player and over-ear planars with the R6 through a DAC and various amplifiers.

Long story short, I'm happy.

So been doing A Lot Of listening to my R3 mostly with my Denon AH-D7200 less with my Focal Elear & my Audioquest NightHawks & for my use am really liking it esp more so with the Denon’s.

As with you many if not most of the issues plaguing others have not affected me or are not of interest even before the latest fw upgrade.

Have you listened with your Elex & Aeons, what do you think of the pairings?

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #3,648 of 6,859
It's just strange because Wifi and Tidal both work. I can connect to my Tidal account and view my playlists, but I get the "playback failed' error when trying to play anything.
I have exactly the same on any network. Have tried DNS settings and nothing solves the issue. I am at a loss how some have it work and I always have playback failed...

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,649 of 6,859
don't you have to entitle a device with Tidal or is that just downloads?

Jul 15, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #3,651 of 6,859
A BIG YES!!

With manual DNS entry, I FINALLY can play through Tidal! Thank you so much @Joe Bloggs !

Jul 15, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #3,654 of 6,859
Same here need import @Joe Bloggs
I also tried different security settings on router and it’s not that. I tried setting a dedicated channel and no dice. I have multiple routers and Tidal will not play on any. Not sure what to do from here. Reported to Hiby that firmware did not fix issue but no reply as yet. Will post whatever I get back from them.

Jul 15, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3,655 of 6,859
So I can't figure out why the bass response on this unit is so darned weak.

I am starting to wonder if the impedance that was planned for is not what we are actually getting. In other words, maybe the poor bass response is in fact an impedance issue.

Has anybody tested the actual impedance of this unit?

I know one or two others have mentioned poor bass response, and others say its great.

I have problems with the FLC8S in balanced, and through my car through the regular 3.5mm jack fed to auxiliary out.

I have no problems with either scenario with my Cayin N5II, and the 3.5 output of my Shalings is just fine with regard to bass in both IEM and car scenarios.

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #3,656 of 6,859
So I can't figure out why the bass response on this unit is so darned weak.

I am starting to wonder if the impedance that was planned for is not what we are actually getting. In other words, maybe the poor bass response is in fact an impedance issue.

Has anybody tested the actual impedance of this unit?

I know one or two others have mentioned poor bass response, and others say its great.

I have problems with the FLC8S in balanced, and through my car through the regular 3.5mm jack fed to auxiliary out.

I have no problems with either scenario with my Cayin N5II, and the 3.5 output of my Shalings is just fine with regard to bass in both IEM and car scenarios.

No weak bass response here at all.
My R3 has an elevated, thumpy bass, treble that is pushed to the detailed, almost sharp side and mids somwhere in between, hard to characterize.
Cayin N3 sounds flatter/more neutral a bit more natural and clear, but not as clean as the R3.
Mojo sounds much more liquid, clear, clean and smooth, free flowing, with a deeeep soundstage.

But the R3 has the most pronounced bass of those 3.
I actually would like to have a more neutral presentation, keep the clean sound, but combine it with the neutral and natural balance of Cayin N3.
(listening with NightOwl and Pinnacle P1 IEM)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,658 of 6,859

Users who are viewing this thread

Back