The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #421 of 2,052
I just want to take the gear out of the box, and it sound its best, and even better with burn in.
This one out of the box has a bass hump, that i can adjust with a pad.
However...
i dont want to play with pads..... but thats just me.
Most people here, tend to want to mod stuff, and thats great for them.
Its all good....:)

Sound personalization is an important developmental step. Every hearing is different and changes in the course of life. Acoustic filters are just the beginning. With the adaptation to your hearing, it is already possible to adjust the sound. The perfect sound out of the box for everyone will not exist in the future either.
After the first impressions I probably prefer the A2O also because I already own a closed headphone with the Campfire Cascade. The Cascade is in contrast to the A2C easy to drive.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #422 of 2,052
Reducing bass in AEON 2 C is a trivial mod for those who want a lighter tone. Take a small square of black electrical tape and 50% cover the port on the black baffle. 75% coverage reduces output even further. This is a mod that takes one minute and is 100% reversible.

just got these today (thank you FedEx, but Dan it looks like the product registration link doesn’t work). Regarding the bass, I may want a bit less. It’s very easy to put your fingers over the baffle ports while listening to hear the difference. 100% may be good for some, or 50% as Dan suggests. Reminds me of the 3 tuning ports in the ZMF Vibros.

More comments when I settle on tuning and they burn in. But will not regret these for travel and when no leakage is needed.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #423 of 2,052
I've been wondering the same thing about the bass of AFO1 compared to AFO2. I love the sound of my AFO1 but typically I EQ the bass down by 3-5 db.

The mids are elevated relative to AO1 giving it a smoother and more balanced feel, very rounded and full bass that doesn't bleed into vocals. This headphone has a lot of "room feel" to it, and the upper registers are really smooth.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #424 of 2,052
The mids are elevated relative to AO1 giving it a smoother and more balanced feel, very rounded and full bass that doesn't bleed into vocals. This headphone has a lot of "room feel" to it, and the upper registers are really smooth.

Thank you for feeding my curiosity but you're not making it easy for my pocket. It's so tempting. I'm listening to my AFO1 right now through my Topping D70 and Gilmore Lite MK2 and imagine how the Open 2 can sound connected to the SMSL SP200 which is coming next week.

Nov 22, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #425 of 2,052
Reducing bass in AEON 2 C is a trivial mod for those who want a lighter tone. Take a small square of black electrical tape and 50% cover the port on the black baffle. 75% coverage reduces output even further. This is a mod that takes one minute and is 100% reversible.

Dan,
Thanks for sharing this mod suggestion. I tried three iterations by covering the port 25, 50 and 75% and 50% did it for me. It just feels like the resolution and clarity "increased" as a result of a slight reduction in bass quantity which ultimately resulted in a more balanced tonality to my ears. I like the A2c even more now with this mod. I've had about 3hrs listening to my test tracks with this mod and I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #427 of 2,052
Meanwhile, in Australia. We just sitting here twiddling our boomerangs and patting our Kangaroos, waiting for pricing and pre-orders of the AC2.

hahaha I think DCA-Dan is teasing is all :ksc75smile::beerchug:

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 23, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #430 of 2,052
I guess I was unlucky with my cable, The two parts of the cable entering the headphones are different lengths and the red heat shrink is not shrunk and came loos. The headphones are brilliant the cable not so much.
20191123_100231[1].jpg
Im in the UK and couldn't get the connectors to make my own so I ordered from DCA web site. With import tax and handling fee the price almost tripled, Rip off Britten again.

It has all tarnished my experience I have to say.

Edit: I think this cam across wrong. It was not a compliant just more of a "look what happend to me". The headphones are brilliant, the cable works. Just not perfect build quality, but I do have OCD's :). I could just return it and DCA would replace it, but I wont be using it so I'm not bothering.

No reflection on DCA's service at all.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #432 of 2,052
I guess I was unlucky with my cable, The two parts of the cable entering the headphones are different lengths and the red heat shrink is not shrunk and came loos. The headphones are brilliant the cable not so much.

Im in the UK and couldn't get the connectors to make my own so I ordered from DCA web site. With import tax and handling fee the price almost tripled, Rip off Britten again.

Did you contact Dan at all first?

When I bought my Aeon 1 the earpads weren't matched too well. Emailed him. Send me a new set.

Im in Australia...

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #433 of 2,052
Hi Dan, I'm a bit confused to find your German distributor ist charging 999,- Euro for these. I have a faint memory of you saying your headphones should cost the same nominal value in Europe as in the US (i.e., 899 USD = 899 Euro). I could be wrong of course. Is this intended? In the UK they are £ 900.

Has anyone tried the closed version with Fiio Q5s (AM3E amp)? I think I saw one guy a few pages ago mention they sound 'weak'. Would it make a difference if I use a 4.4 balanced cable?

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #434 of 2,052
Sound personalization is an important developmental step. Every hearing is different and changes in the course of life. Acoustic filters are just the beginning. With the adaptation to your hearing, it is already possible to adjust the sound. The perfect sound out of the box for everyone will not exist in the future either.
After the first impressions I probably prefer the A2O also because I already own a closed headphone with the Campfire Cascade. The Cascade is in contrast to the A2C easy to drive.

Well, when the Aeon C came out, i was here stating that i dont want fuzzy pads as a compensation, or EQ filter.
I want the headphones to come out of the box, and be GREAT., and get better.
I want the headphones to not need any type of fuzzy pad tweak to deal with anything in the sound that is offensive.
Its like i said 2 yrs ago and got banned......I feel that putting a frequency between the speaker and your ears, is the result of a design that needs it.
This can be marketed as...>"many options", or "for the mod fans.... we offer PADS".
But i dont want this situation. I want to take them out of the box, and they are KILLER....not needing a frequency blocker to solve what i can't stand.
Thats just me.
Most here, probably feel that putting something between your ear holes and the speaker is "high tech", but i see it as set of ear plugs.
Thats my opinion.
Everyone else is going to have theirs.......:)

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #435 of 2,052

What about ordering a cable from a third party like this one? They are based in the UK and seem to have the cable for these headphones.
https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Aeon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back