The New AEON 2: It's The End Of MrSpeakers
Nov 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #406 of 2,052
Based on these, I'm happy (and somewhat confident) to recommend you the A2c if you're looking for a great closed back headphones. I’ve also owned the Ether Flow C 1.1 and I like the A2c better. I've ordered a verite closed to compare both and decide if I pick one or the other or if I keep both.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely checkout the A2C as soon as I get a chance. I'll be very interested to hear your opinion of the Verite Closed.

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #407 of 2,052
My original case was also missing the cable pouch, so I contacted DCA through the web site and they promptly sent me a replacement case that included the cable pouch. Great customer service in addition to great headphones!
Mine came with the pouch. My point is that the space is not enough. When I put the A2C in the case, only small space is available for the cable pouch. I can close the lid, but the center of the lid bulges out and unnecessary pressure is applied to the HP housing. Actually, the front side of the left side housing got a small scratch because the metal part of the cable was pressed hard against the housing when the lid was closed. I carried the case in my back pack when it happened. Since then I put the cable separately.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #408 of 2,052
Hello,
Have been interested in the aeon closed but happy that i waited with ordering now. Hopefully the 2 will show up in the Netherlands soon.
I was wondering: planning to use it with a balanced desktop amp (jot) are there any balanced dac/amp portable options too? Or is my best bet the ifi audio bl?
New to the balanced game so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thnx
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 21, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #409 of 2,052
I don't want to get too off topic, but since you asked... I love (and own) the LCD-4 and the STAX 009. I've also been very impressed by the Abyss TC, Susvara, and STAX 009S. I'm thinking of getting one of them next. I have not heard anything from ZMF, HEDDphone, or the SRH1A, but they all seem like contenders. Focal is up there too. There are a heck of a lot of excellent ToTL headphones these days, so calling the Ether 2 the best for the money is not faint praise.

That's a lot of nice headphones. Given your preference and gear list if you haven't heard it you might consider giving a listen to VOCE as you have stat gear. A different take on the stat experience from Stax to be sure. As you have the gear it can be a fun way to get stat resolution but bass that's flat to below 10Hz, with a bit less emphasis on the top end a huge soundstage.

On the pricing, we debated this a lot. Other TOTL cans ARE more costly and we could have priced at what the market will bear at $3-4K, and for some users who do equate price to quality that might have been a more lucrative call. However, our pricing ethos has always been to simply use a cost multiplier to deliver the highest possible price performance. At the end of the day, my goal has always been to keep the price as low as we can to allow more people access to our headphones, so I do smile when I see value included in TOTL discussion.

Mine came with the pouch. My point is that the space is not enough. When I put the A2C in the case, only small space is available for the cable pouch. I can close the lid, but the center of the lid bulges out and unnecessary pressure is applied to the HP housing. Actually, the front side of the left side housing got a small scratch because the metal part of the cable was pressed hard against the housing when the lid was closed. I carried the case in my back pack when it happened. Since then I put the cable separately.

The case should fit anything but an XLR. The only thing you have to do to avoid scratches is to ensure the plugs and jack are in pocket and not exposed. We really tried to keep size minimal, and the case actually was designed to flex a bit to accommodate the cables. I understand why you might prefer more room, but there was logic and design behind this.

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #410 of 2,052
Anyone know when Headphones.com will get the Aeon 2 Closed in stock?

Also the VOCE is really good. About tied in sound quality to my bass port modded SR007A, and those are in my top favorite 5 headphones or so, and I've heard most TOTL headphones.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #412 of 2,052
@mrspeakers

Hey Dan.

Aeon 2 Closed vs Aeon 1 Closed. Do you think they are a bit more lively? I had Aeon 1 for a year or so, and overall very good. Bit a bit safe/boring sometimes. The Aeon 2 look good!

Well I’m it to be a more exciting headphone across-the-board. Obviously I’m biased, but I do find It to be a more exciting headphone across the board.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #413 of 2,052
Hi Dan!

Very exciting times indeed. Have the Aeon 2 open shipped to your retail partners?

Thanks

Leo

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #414 of 2,052
Hi Dan!

Very exciting times indeed. Have the Aeon 2 open shipped to your retail partners?

Thanks

Leo

Yes, in the US Moon Audio, Source AV, Audio 46, Listen Up!, Gramophone, Crutchfield and others have received closed, open are just starting to ship. Many have reordered so I don’t know their stock.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #415 of 2,052
Aeon Closed is more neutral but not great resolution. Aeon2 Closed is more resolving but not neutral. I have to admit the Aeon2 adds what feels like a hump in the bass that is always present. I would have preferred the Aeon2 have the frequency tuning of the original Aeon. I won't say the Aeon2 has "bloated" bass, but it's close. I'm going to need equalization. So if you prefer the neutral sound, you may not like these.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #416 of 2,052
Aeon Closed is more neutral but not great resolution. Aeon2 Closed is more resolving but not neutral. I have to admit the Aeon2 adds what feels like a hump in the bass that is always present. I would have preferred the Aeon2 have the frequency tuning of the original Aeon.

The "bass light" comment was everywhere, regarding the original Aeon C. But, along with this, most reviews really liked the sound. It was just a question of "where is the Bass".
Hopefully the new version has not been designed to overcompensate in the same way the HD650 overcompensated vs the HD600 in the same regard, by adding the same sort of "bass hump" that you are describing hearing in the A2C.
It would be unfortunate for that original AEON-C sound to be replaced by a "bass head" headphone., as that original AeonC had a really unique Sonic signature.
in not a fan of bass bloat. or bass leaning, or bass hump.
I appreciate your comment, as i'd prefer to find out about a potential flaw, vs just reading 200 posts that all seem like a Marketing commercial.
its OK to love the sound of your new headphones, and its OK if you can't stand it.
No gear is going to please us all. BUT, its always good to find out about a potential frequency situation right in the beginning of the release, as then people are going to be listening for it and talking about it, vs, just posting the typical "Honeymoon" review.

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #417 of 2,052
The "bass light" comment was everywhere, regarding the original Aeon C. But, along with this, most reviews really liked the sound. It was just a question of "where is the Bass".
Hopefully the new version has not been designed to overcompensate in the same way the HD650 overcompensated vs the HD600 in the same regard, by adding the same sort of "bass hump" that you are describing hearing in the A2C.
It would be unfortunate for that original AEON-C sound to be replaced by a "bass head" headphone., as that original AeonC had a really unique Sonic signature.
in not a fan of bass bloat. or bass leaning, or bass hump.
I appreciate your comment, as i'd prefer to find out about a potential flaw, vs just reading 200 posts that all seem like a Marketing commercial.
its OK to love the sound of your new headphones, and its OK if you can't stand it.
No gear is going to please us all. BUT, its always good to find out about a potential frequency situation right in the beginning of the release, as then people are going to be listening for it and talking about it, vs, just posting the typical "Honeymoon" review.

Reducing bass in AEON 2 C is a trivial mod for those who want a lighter tone. Take a small square of black electrical tape and 50% cover the port on the black baffle. 75% coverage reduces output even further. This is a mod that takes one minute and is 100% reversible.

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #419 of 2,052
Reducing bass in AEON 2 C is a trivial mod for those who want a lighter tone. Take a small square of black electrical tape and 50% cover the port on the black baffle. 75% coverage reduces output even further. This is a mod that takes one minute and is 100% reversible.

Yes, that is what you were saying about the AEON C.
Just use a pad and solve everything.
It didnt tho.
So, this time it will.
OK.
Im just different then most, regarding listening.
I just want to take the gear out of the box, and it sound its best, and even better with burn in.
This one out of the box has a bass hump, that i can adjust with a pad.
However...
i dont want to play with pads..... but thats just me.
Most people here, tend to want to mod stuff, and thats great for them.
Its all good....:)

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #420 of 2,052
Happy Back Friday DCA. Congratulations on reaching greater heights in audio engineering excellence.

any chance you can be gracious and offer us humble and loyal members of this thread a good Black Friday special price?

I promise I will not tell anyone outside this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back