"The Lab"
Jun 22, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #9,498 of 20,136
A bit confused with this one, where FiiO is planning to share modular amp design between X7 and Q5.  It kind of makes sense with Q5 to keep DAC section fixed and introduce a replaceable amp modules with different connections, power/impedance rating (like E12A vs E12 vs E12DIY), including regular and balanced wiring.  Perhaps like a principle similar to E12DIY where OpAmp is socketed and you can replace it to change sound sig.  But with X7, would it already come with internal amplifier driving HO?  Then, would they consider a modular amp as an add-on that going to by-pass internal amp routing signal to external one?  So convenience of this external amp is only a little snap-on module instead of rubber-banded stack up?  Is that how you understood it?

X7's amplifier exists as modules that you just plug in to the bottom of the DAP. It will come with the IEM amp module in the package and you can purchase a high powered amp module (500mW) and a more powerful balanced amp module separately.

See pic below. What I circled is the amp module. The whole metal case under the screen comes off and simply plugs in/out. No need to change boards or opamps:

These modules will be interchangeable with the X7 and Q5. My curiosity is that James said the X3 II and X5 II will be able to dock with an upcoming amp (USB), but I forget if the Q5 is what he mentioned.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #9,500 of 20,136
Jun 22, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #9,501 of 20,136
  Tried this with the Altone 350s and my X3ii this evening, and you're right. Bass was far less boomy on high gain... very listenable without EQ. Thanks for the tip!

Try volume matching.  There is no difference I can hear with the Altone 350 between the X3ii on high and low gain.  The only difference is the increase in volume.  I checked.

What Vince is talking about is using a source with a higher impedance - so it would need to be above 3 ohm output impedance to make a real difference - ie change the frequency curve.  The X3ii is 0.2 ohm, and both high and low gain use same circuit - so there should be no change except volume (about 6 dB).

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #9,503 of 20,136
There is a chance that hi gain setting improves the amps stability by compared to low gain, and therefore sounds better.

Sent from my One V using Tapatalk

If the only change (and remember - we're talking specifically about the X3ii here) is an approx 6dB change in volume - then how is "stability" changed, and what does that mean?

On my meter I get to within 0.1 dB between high gain (volume adjusted down) and low gain @ 1kHz.  Perfectly willing to believe it's "my ears" - but they sound exactly the same to me (X3ii on low gain at 30/120 and X3ii on high gain at 24/120).

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #9,504 of 20,136
If the gain switch is indeed a gain switch in the feedback network of the headphone amp, and not a input pad that reduces input level. Then the increase in closed loop gain reduces open loop gain by the same amount, which may improve stability of the amplifier when driving complex loads.

While I would assume the designer has designed in enough margin for headphone out stability, you never know how capacitive the nice and thin / soft headphone cables are these days. Higher gain suggests less negative feedback and higher distortion, but it's not always the case.

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #9,505 of 20,136
If the gain switch is indeed a gain switch in the feedback network of the headphone amp, and not a input pad that reduces input level. Then the increase in closed loop gain reduces open loop gain by the same amount, which may improve stability of the amplifier when driving complex loads.

While I would assume the designer has designed in enough margin for headphone out stability, you never know how capacitive the nice and thin / soft headphone cables are these days. Higher gain suggests less negative feedback and higher distortion, but it's not always the case.

Headphone and amp were stated - clearly 
wink.gif

Fiio X3ii - specs easily available

Altone 350 - 22 ohms, 105 dB SPL @ 1 kHz.  Cable is the worst part of the IEM (IMO) too thick.

I appreciate you trying to help - and talking "generally" about the issue.  I am talking specifically about it.  I have the exact same set-up as Haku has.  The difference is that I used an SPL meter to level match, there is no audible difference to me.  Nor should there be when you're talking a DAP with a very linear response, an output impedance of 0.26 ohms.

As you can see above - the earphone we're talking about is not a complex load, and the X3ii can handle it easily.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #9,506 of 20,136

Guns N' Roses - November Rain (in June)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

Guns N' Roses - Don't Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRIbf6JqkNc

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7OgIMMRc4

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #9,507 of 20,136
There are times when you reach to a mental state while listening through your headphone that you completely sink-melt in to the music and all of sudden the magic happens and you just don't realize that you're wearing your headphones anymore and feel that your soul is lifted up through the magical floating sea of the musical notes that you're covered in.  I am witnessing this very speacial feeling right now by the help of the.....    OK, forget the equipment...  Don't want to talk about it.... This feeling is soooo gooood that I wish I can live forever with it.

Seinabo Sey
"Younger- Acoustic Version"

...wanted to share...

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #9,508 of 20,136
There are times when you reach to a mental state while listening through your headphone that you completely sink-melt in to the music and all of sudden the magic happens and you just don't realize that you're wearing your headphones anymore and feel that your soul is lifted up through the magical floating sea of the musical notes that you're covered in.  I am witnessing this very speacial feeling right now by the help of the.....    OK, forget the equipment...  Don't want to talk about it.... This feeling is soooo gooood that I wish I can live forever with it.

Seinabo Sey
"Younger- Acoustic Version"

...wanted to share...

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #9,509 of 20,136

A bit confused with this one, where FiiO is planning to share modular amp design between X7 and Q5.  It kind of makes sense with Q5 to keep DAC section fixed and introduce a replaceable amp modules with different connections, power/impedance rating (like E12A vs E12 vs E12DIY), including regular and balanced wiring.  Perhaps like a principle similar to E12DIY where OpAmp is socketed and you can replace it to change sound sig.  But with X7, would it already come with internal amplifier driving HO?  Then, would they consider a modular amp as an add-on that going to by-pass internal amp routing signal to external one?  So convenience of this external amp is only a little snap-on module instead of rubber-banded stack up?  Is that how you understood it?

X7's amplifier exists as modules that you just plug in to the bottom of the DAP. It will come with the IEM amp module in the package and you can purchase a high powered amp module (500mW) and a more powerful balanced amp module separately.

See pic below. What I circled is the amp module. The whole metal case under the screen comes off and simply plugs in/out. No need to change boards or opamps:

These modules will be interchangeable with the X7 and Q5. My curiosity is that James said the X3 II and X5 II will be able to dock with an upcoming amp (USB), but I forget if the Q5 is what he mentioned.

Uh, that makes sense!  I probably missed it in X7 thread.

Hmm, just got another cool idea to suggest to James.  Let me post it in X7 thread :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back