"The Lab"
Jun 21, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #9,466 of 20,136
I made a pretty cool discovery today guys.

When I first got the loaner pair of altone 350 from Alex I was NOT impressed, considering the high price tag.

I experimented with tips and genres of music and put them down for a while. To be honest there was a mid bass boost and sharp treble spike that made them fatiguing and unnatural sounding.

Today I busted them out again and did some source rolling (lol).

I learned during the custom art demo that impedance can greatly impact the sound of armature drivers especially.

I've come to the conclusion that these altone 350 sound MUCH better with a higher impedance source. Treble and mid bass are more tamed and tolerable. twister6 when I send these back to you I would like you to give this a try and see if you get the same results. They are quite impressive when high gain is used on my portables, and sound really good with the lp5 in high gain.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #9,470 of 20,136
We'll have to try this with the A250, Vince. I can try low vs high gain and 75ohm vs 100ohm impedance adapters...
I hope to get that 250 soon.

Also, the budget fi tour will get going really soon as well. I'll post a request on this thread then start a new thread when I have a tour list.

Also, don't forget about the Zmf tour to come in July.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #9,471 of 20,136
Hey guys. Right now I got my ATE kitted out with the lrg. tips that came with the ed9s. Sounds good and all, but I have a question. My left ear gets an extremely good seal - to the point of creating suction when I take them out - but if I press on the housing I'll hear a "pop" sound (kinda like when you push on those seal buttons on lids). Is this what folks call driver flex, or something else? My gr07be will do the same thing depending on tips.
My right ear doesn't get nearly as good a seal so that ones not a problem (actually I'm starting to think I need to get my right ear canal re-profiled so fitting isn't such a pita).

Cheers

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #9,472 of 20,136
I hope to get that 250 soon.

Also, the budget fi tour will get going really soon as well. I'll post a request on this thread then start a new thread when I have a tour list.

Yes, looking forward to hearing some fun new gear. Thanks for coordinating, Vince!

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #9,473 of 20,136
Hey guys. Right now I got my ATE kitted out with the lrg. tips that came with the ed9s. Sounds good and all, but I have a question. My left ear gets an extremely good seal - to the point of creating suction when I take them out - but if I press on the housing I'll hear a "pop" sound (kinda like when you push on those seal buttons on lids). Is this what folks call driver flex, or something else? My gr07be will do the same thing depending on tips.
My right ear doesn't get nearly as good a seal so that ones not a problem (actually I'm starting to think I need to get my right ear canal re-profiled so fitting isn't such a pita).

Cheers
Driver flex buddy, be careful it could damage your iem

Lift and insert on that side

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #9,475 of 20,136
Driver flex buddy, be careful it could damage your iem

Lift and insert on that side

Using foam tips also helps when it comes to driver flex. I have an IEM(Padacs Aksent) that has such bad driver flex they're unusable without foam.

Thanks guys, I guess I should stop pushing on it then (although it's kinda fun)
wink.gif

I'll be ordering some complys anyways, so I'll just switch to them. Thinking back, those old funky foam tips I kinda liked came from a pair of Sony mdr-ex51, which makes them a t-400 which also happens to be the same size the deltas use.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #9,476 of 20,136
  I always used to hit Recordland when I lived in Calgary. You're right that their "regular" inventory isn't all that great, but I have found some hidden gems. Never had to nerve to venture in to vinyl room
wink.gif
 (don't own a turntable either… yet)

Yes, the reason I go back every now and then is because I usually find at least one gem-type disk to take home with me.

Up for both... You rock, Vince.

Using foam tips also helps when it comes to driver flex. I have an IEM (Padacs Aksent) that has such bad driver flex they're unusable without foam.

I got bad driver flex with all the x50 Altones. Comply's solved it completely.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #9,477 of 20,136

Yes, the reason I go back every now and then is because I usually find at least one gem-type disk to take home with me.

Is that place (Hot Wax?) on 10 St. NW still there? Walked past on my way to SAIT, picked up a few good discs there too.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #9,478 of 20,136
SAIT! I went to NAIT for Architectural and Urban Planning back in the day!

You guys see this? FiiO's new DAC/amp, Q5.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772186/fiio-q5-flagship-dac-amp-an-dual-dac-usb-optical-coaxial-line-in-share-the-same-amp-module-with-x7#post_11707678

Users who are viewing this thread

Back