"The Lab"
Jun 21, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #9,436 of 20,136
Happy Father Day ....for fathers who are celebrating with or being celebrated
biggrin.gif

Yeah, feet up, phones on... let your families pamper you.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #9,437 of 20,136
I'm excited, my youngest just woke (Wokei) up and waiting for the older one so I can open the mantle full of packages:)

THX for the special Labsters only review Alex

Wokei my Brother, congrats on the 5K post (approaching Supreme Labsters status):wink:

Love the light boxes gentlemen and the killer shots taken in them:cool:

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #9,439 of 20,136
What are they?

Nice pic of your AK100 by the way. I keep hovering over the AK120 buy button. I can get one for $1499 CAD right now.

They are the stock tips that Future Sonics G10 come with. If you are looking at the AK120 and are only using it for iem's  and don't need the extra power . Save a couple bucks ad get the AK100II the difference is the extra power and dual dacs. I demoed the 120 and couldn't hear a difference.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #9,442 of 20,136
hakushondaimao you beat me to Cats in the Cradle.

Happy Father's Day to all the papa bears out there!!

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #9,443 of 20,136
They are the stock tips that Future Sonics G10 come with. If you are looking at the AK120 and are only using it for iem's  and don't need the extra power . Save a couple bucks ad get the AK100II the difference is the extra power and dual dacs. I demoed the 120 and couldn't hear a difference.

Thanks for the tip info.

The intention is to use the balanced out to the JH Angie, and I read the AK100 isn't as good balanced. Do you use the balanced output? I'm in the camp that likes the benefit of not using a common ground with a proper balanced source, especially as the IEMs don't really need much power. The Rx sounding so good has kept my wallet happy though by staving off the purchase.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #9,444 of 20,136
Thanks for the tip info.

The intention is to use the balanced out to the JH Angie, and I read the AK100 isn't as good balanced. Do you use the balanced output? I'm in the camp that likes the benefit of not using a common ground with a proper balanced source, especially as the IEMs don't really need much power. The Rx sounding so good has kept my wallet happy though by staving off the purchase.

I hear no difference with balanced cables I only use balanced cables when I had my studio monitors far from my source.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #9,445 of 20,136

Thanks for the tip info.

I hear no difference with balanced cables I only use balanced cables when I had my studio monitors far from my source.

Per AK120ii testing using pure silver or Linum BaX, both balanced vs non-balanced, difference is very subtle and noticeable only with hi-res audio (flacs or dsd) and totl multi-driver IEMs.  Maybe just a placebo effect, but I left the soundstage width was a bit improved as well.  So, I think Craig might hear a difference with 8-driver Angie's and hi-res audio, but I'm not so sure if it's going to worth $500-$600 price difference which could be better spent on upgrade cables.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #9,446 of 20,136
Per AK120ii testing using pure silver or Linum BaX, both balanced vs non-balanced, difference is very subtle and noticeable only with hi-res audio (flacs or dsd) and totl multi-driver IEMs.  Maybe just a placebo effect, but I left the soundstage width was a bit improved as well.  So, I think Craig might hear a difference with 8-driver Angie's and hi-res audio, but I'm not so sure if it's going to worth $500-$600 price difference which could be better spent on upgrade cables.

I knew you'd jump in! :wink_face:

One of the reasons I haven't bought yet is the recognized subtle-ness vs price of entry. Mostly just want to use the included balanced cable without an adaptor, then common sense kicks in...... lol!

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #9,447 of 20,136
Question of the day:

Where do you folks get your music?

Over the past couple of years, since USPS increased the price of Intl. shipping, I find I purchase fewer and few cds. It's nearly impossible to justfy the shipping charges on a couple of discs, so now I look to downloads. Generally I've been against digital ownership, I like to have a physical product. But now, since most places offer a lossless product, along with PDFs, I find no reason not to go that route. Streaming really isn't on the radar for me - most services are geo-locked, and according to the CEO of Bell Communications, if you use a VPN to access streaming sites, you're stealing
rolleyes.gif
 (shows how out of touch the tele-coms are here in Canada)

So, what's the verdict, does anybody still buy CDs? 

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #9,448 of 20,136
Question of the day:

Where do you folks get your music?

Over the past couple of years, since USPS increased the price of Intl. shipping, I find I purchase fewer and few cds. It's nearly impossible to justfy the shipping charges on a couple of discs, so now I look to downloads. Generally I've been against digital ownership, I like to have a physical product. But now, since most places offer a lossless product, along with PDFs, I find no reason not to go that route. Streaming really isn't on the radar for me - most services are geo-locked, and according to the CEO of Bell Communications, if you use a VPN to access streaming sites, you're stealing :rolleyes:  (shows how out of touch the tele-coms are here in Canada)

So, what's the verdict, does anybody still buy CDs? 

I frequent a local used CD shop, 'Crazy Bob's'. They have a HUGE selection!!

I'm with you on streaming here in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back