1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

"The Lab"

1. Mr Trev
    As best as I can tell the new version just has new/different earpads and headband. Still haven't seen one for sale yet myself.

There was a whole s-storm over the switch from Woox to Gibson manf. There were/are some QC issues, but I feel that most of the problems were way overblown - probably compounded by the fact Philips never disclosed some changes they made. This resulted in people ripping their earpads, just to see if they were glued on or not <insert flippant remark about some people's parents possibly being related here>

I never got the whole muddy bass complaints either. My thoughts are those folk might just be using a subpar source. I know the X2 are described as easy to drive, but I find they do sound much better with a decent amp behind them.
    Recessed mids?? Technically… on paper, yes, but nothing I couldn't just listen through - never bothered trying to EQ the things either

Light - Man and peter123 like this.
  2. Mr Trev
    Anybody using a NAS fed music server? I'm using a WD Mycloud to feed DACphile and other DLNA clients. The HD is pretty much full, so I need something new and BIG. I was thinking about just getting a bigger mycloud, but after playing with the DLNA end, I've come to the conclusion that a: Twonky sucks, or b: WD's implementation of Twonky sucks. (popular opinion seems to be WD is at fault for not offering any support for Twonky even though they list it as a feature).

Can anyone offer a decent cheap alternative to the mycloud (forgot to mention WD's smb security issues). I mention cheap since I'll only be using this for music/file serving and don't need to spend the big $$$ for fancy hardware video decoding and other stuff alot of these NAS offer

3. RedJohn456
    peter123 likes this.
  4. Mr Trev
    Hey! You're still around. I was worried we might have lost you in the <in big boomy echo voice> Forum Change Apocalypse:beyersmile:

I think I remember @peter123 speaking highly about those VE cables

RedJohn456 likes this.
  5. RedJohn456
    Tell me about it, I was ready to give up on the site. I am not really happy with the design changes and I don't think I will ever adjust to it :/

6. crabdog
    I got one recently for the AR-H1. Very good value indeed.

7. peter123
    I do indeed:

20170731_113119.jpg 20170731_113044.jpg 20170731_113102.jpg

8. peter123
    On another note I've been spending the last days redecorating my lab and I've gotta admit that I'm pretty happy with the result:

20170802_212402.jpg 20170802_212257.jpg 20170730_201430.jpg 20170802_212141.jpg

9. Mr Trev
    Damn, now I really have some serious gear envy.

Is it just me, or do those cables look tiny for a pair of cans? With my tendency to step on/pull cables, I don't know if they'd stand a chance in my world - nice thing bout the Grados, you could tow a vehicle with the stock cable

10. HiFiChris Contributor
    @peter123

Looks beautiful! :beerchug:

By the way, that keyboard looks bloody nice - according to Google it is a Microsoft Sidewinder X6, isn't it? Too bad it's using rubber domes and no mechanical switches - although I have to admit that I regularly like writing on rubber dome keyboards too, and am even using flat scissor switch keyboards for writing most of the time. Yes, I would definitely say that I'm using my scissor switches more often than my mechanical keyboards for writing, mainly because of the slimmer key caps.
    There was one manufacturer who introduced a keyboard with flat mechanical switches about a year ago (forgot the name), however it's a wireless, portable model designed for the iPad Pro. Would be nice to see flat mechanical switches in flat desktop keyboards in the not too distant future, although I have to say that the wear on my Kensington Advance Fit, the scissor switch keyboard I'm using most of the time at the moment, is lesser than I expected.
    Anyway, is there a reason why you're not using the number pad?

11. mrmoto050
    Sweet! I'm still using cigar humidors.

12. tikue666
    raypin likes this.
  13. peter123
    Thanks Chris! I've honestly got no idea, I believe it's an old one just found it laying around. You may be right about it being Microsoft branded but I'm not at home for a couple of more days so I'll have to confirm when I am.

Thanks! I've got some old cigar boxes around as well but unfortunately without the humidity control.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    mrmoto050 likes this.
  14. raypin
    mm...my messy lab:

20170804_173340636_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Light - Man, Ultrainferno and Acemcl like this.
  15. raypin
    Mm...in storage:

20170804_174349967_iOS.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017