The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Aug 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #302 of 456
the isolation is quite good...80% of the chitchats at macdonalds will be blocked out almost immediately
when u slap on the cups...and once u crank up the volume...u are in shangrila...almost.

but its still kinda bigframed for me to walk around with it...
i much prefer the bose AE2i for road trotting.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #304 of 456
I like my KRK 8400's decently flat fairly neutral good for the money . They are getting better after break in .
I  just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pro will be interesting to compare. 
I'm hoping for slightly more bass and a little more  extension on the top end . Hoping to use the senns and the KRK's  both. I'm driving them with an   M audio interface .  I'm thinking Maybe a dedicated headphone amp is the next logical progression . 

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #305 of 456
I'm debating between the KNS8400 and the SRH840. I just can't decide what would be best for me since I like to actively listen to the details in my music while at other times, I just want to close my eyes and enjoy the music with the slight coloration the 840 has been said to give with their mid-bass hump.

What do you guys think? And can someone describe the size of the two headphones, I haven't been able to demo the two at a local electronics/music center...

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #306 of 456
scale down the size of the 840 to 70-80%...tats kns8400...
or go to an apple shop n check the size of the boseAE2i cups. 

i find the 840 heavy n hot on my head...i used to perspire just putting on this can..
n sold it within a month. 

840 has a sound that is more "massive" more weight up n down..quite balanced.
the kns8400 has a leaner quicker sound.. the bass can be palpable on the ears at times with certain music.

i would bring the 8400 out with me...but i wont bring the shure out of the house.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #307 of 456
Quote:
scale down the size of the 840 to 70-80%...tats kns8400...
or go to an apple shop n check the size of the boseAE2i cups. 

i find the 840 heavy n hot on my head...i used to perspire just putting on this can..
n sold it within a month. 

840 has a sound that is more "massive" more weight up n down..quite balanced.
the kns8400 has a leaner quicker sound.. the bass can be palpable on the ears at times with certain music.

i would bring the 8400 out with me...but i wont bring the shure out of the house.

I see... thanks for the information, this helps me a lot. I'm going to be able to use the headphones while studying or just zoning out of the sounds of a typical dorm room so I was wondering which one blocks out exterior noises better?

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #308 of 456
isolation on kns8400 is quite good, hmmm 840....too long ago, i dun think its bad either

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #309 of 456
Thank you, one last question (at least I hope so), are there any modifications worth doing on the 8400 to improve the sound? Like changing the earpads and stuff like that? I'm just wondering to see if it'll be worth it to do so.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #310 of 456
I'm looking to buy these but I'm not quite sold on the idea of spending so much money as of yet. I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me with.

How good is it at blocking out loud TV noise?

Also, I'm planning on using this with my ipod and laptop, can I just plug it in and listen? Or will I have to get some other hardware?

These are $113 at Amazon right now, should I pull the trigger or do you think the price will go any lower?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #311 of 456
Quote:
I'm looking to buy these but I'm not quite sold on the idea of spending so much money as of yet. I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me with.

How good is it at blocking out loud TV noise?

Also, I'm planning on using this with my ipod and laptop, can I just plug it in and listen? Or will I have to get some other hardware?

These are $113 at Amazon right now, should I pull the trigger or do you think the price will go any lower?

Thanks in advance.

- TV noise goes down with just the headphones on, with music playing, I don't hear TV or boomboxes at all. The isolation is quite good on these.
- You can plug it and work it fine out most laptops. My friend's HP is pretty bad, however my Macbook pro has a really good headphone out so it works fine and also good through Sansa Fuze and Ipod Touch 3rd generation. When I switch from that to Fiio E10 or Marantz CD5004, it of course gets much better but it's still good out of laptop and portable, until you can get other hardware. Definitely recommend Fiio E10, cheap and really good DAC + AMP combination for under $100
- $113 - Price seems good. I paid full retail for mines and didn't feel I over payed at all.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #312 of 456
How's the clamping force on these headphones? I have a relatively small head but i'm really prone to getting migraines.
Also, are the cords bulky or thin or braided? And does it(the cord) go into both ears?

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #314 of 456
Regarding clamping force, it gets much better after a week of use on your head. At first the headband isn't flexible and somewhat bothersome. You'll also notice this annoying pressure at the top of your head due to the cushion built in the headband. It was really annoying and uncomfortable at first, but now they are one of the most comfiest cans I have, gotta love memory foam pads.

Aug 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #315 of 456
Are there any ear pads that fit the 8400 that help improve the sound? The memory foam pads seem great and all but I was hoping to be able to improve sound through the switching of other earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back