The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #286 of 456
I agree with your take of the 8400 and the HD25 although the HD25 is much edgier the upper frequencies and as much as I like them, they're far from perfect. While they have a fun sound with good detail and layering, the timbre is off, the soundstage is narrow, and the sound is not as refined as the 8400. While the 8400 is a bit bright it is much smoother than the HD25. I think if I had a headphone in between the Z1000 and the 8400 I would be a lot happier. What I love most is that punch on the low end. I just repurchased a pair of 8400s so I'll be able to compare them in a couple weeks.

That said, I was enjoying the Z1000 today a bit more. I'm getting used to their presentation and I see what you mean about their coherence. I listen to all genres but mostly alt. rock (80s and 90s, lots of INXS and Depeche Mode) but I also listen to artists like Sade also. The Z1000 in some areas have a subtlety to their detail whereas the 8400 is a little more in your face. Not that they're forward in any one spectrum but that the tonality is not as subdued and as smooth as the Z1000. So far, I'm enjoying the Z1000 for its character and how they present the music. Not sure if they'll be keepers, although again, the ergonomics are TOP NOTCH for portable use. I've already gotten used to using them on the go vs the HD25 I've been using for the longest time.

I still have yet to try them on my pcdp. I have a vintage Sony D-33 which I'm sure should be enough for the Z1000. What are you currently using the Z1000 with? Also my source is all pretty much ALAC or CDs.  

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #287 of 456
Can someone please measure the inner diameter of the ear pads.
With that I mean the width, the opening for the ears.
For example the HD650 pads are approx. 5 by 7 cm, not meauring the pads themselves, but only the opening

I have large ears and want to make sure my ears fit in.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #288 of 456
Quote:
Can someone please measure the inner diameter of the ear pads.
With that I mean the width, the opening for the ears.
For example the HD650 pads are approx. 5 by 7 cm, not meauring the pads themselves, but only the opening

I have large ears and want to make sure my ears fit in.

The ear pads are oval shaped with the height (top to down) being approximately 6.1 cm and the width being 4.25 cm. The pads are one of the softest I have ever worn, and can give an extra mm or two. However the pads were quite hard when I first got them and uncomfortable at first. Give it 2-3 days and it will be all change. Also at first, you will feel this weird pressure at the top centre of your head, but after a week of use the headphone's band and the weird pressure went away. Part of it is just psychology of me getting used to it but I also noticed the rigidity of the headband decrease for sure compared to right after unboxing them. If you give them 3 hours per day for a week, these will easily be burnt in and the pads and headband will have also settled in. If after that you still find them uncomfortable, get rid of them. But seriously, give them some time, the experience changed quite radically in the first week for me. Would love to hear others on this as well. Best of luck.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #289 of 456
Cross posted from the other 8400 thread, if the forum doens't mind - just trying to get more responses

Can anybody  comment about wearing glasses with these? These are my first pair of headphones (as in ever, I didn't use anything before) but I too can hear a bass difference when wearing glasses. I don't really want to have to stick paper towels inside either.

I checked my glasses and it looks they don't interfere in any way, I don't see any bumps or areas that would break the seal. They don't even feel like they are pushing on my glasses, but when I wear them, it sounds like I lose a tiny bit of presence. This normally wouldn't be a problem but since these are so restrained to begin with that little bit is the straw that breaks the camels back! That little bit of "oumph" is gone, bass has no real impact or hit. It feels like the headphones have no bass at all sometimes too. Is this all in my mind or not? Can anybody else comment? I really don't want to have to return them and start a hunt for another pair, but at the same time, if it's not just me, then I guess I'll have to return them :frowning2:

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #290 of 456
Quote:
We're in full agreement on the ergo's - the structural design is really outstanding on these.

While I found many aspects of the 8400's very good, and some even exceptionally good,
their weaknesses drove me up a wall and I knew I'd have to sell them.

Midrange on the 8400's is overly present.  Highs and detail are very, very good as is comfort although
the Z1000's are better still in those areas.  Soundstage is similar on both, but I didn't have any
overly high expectations in that areas since they're both closed systems.

FWIW, and I realize this is an 8400 thread, I agree with the above. Perhaps I got a bad pair. Even though I have the MDR-7520 instead of the z1000, I suspect the comparison holds. Nothing against the 8400 necessarily in general, but the pair I had definitely didn't work for me. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #291 of 456
Quote:
Cross posted from the other 8400 thread, if the forum doens't mind - just trying to get more responses

Can anybody  comment about wearing glasses with these? These are my first pair of headphones (as in ever, I didn't use anything before) but I too can hear a bass difference when wearing glasses. I don't really want to have to stick paper towels inside either.

I checked my glasses and it looks they don't interfere in any way, I don't see any bumps or areas that would break the seal. They don't even feel like they are pushing on my glasses, but when I wear them, it sounds like I lose a tiny bit of presence. This normally wouldn't be a problem but since these are so restrained to begin with that little bit is the straw that breaks the camels back! That little bit of "oumph" is gone, bass has no real impact or hit. It feels like the headphones have no bass at all sometimes too. Is this all in my mind or not? Can anybody else comment? I really don't want to have to return them and start a hunt for another pair, but at the same time, if it's not just me, then I guess I'll have to return them :frowning2:

The clamping force on this headphone is medium/high so you get more isolation. I also wear glasses and no problem whatsoever in terms of comfort or reduced bass or resonance problems. With or without glasses, sound is same. The reason for this is the memory foam pads, which adapt to your glasses. For example, with my Denon 2000, I can notice a very slight difference with my glasses off vs not off, but nothing at all with the 8400s. 

In terms of bass, the bass goes really deep, but doesn't have a whole lot of impact like my Denon's but when I pair it with my Fiio E10 and turn the bass boost on (+3 db), the sound is actually very good, even for electronica. The bass is really controlled on this so you might find it lacking at first, but once you get used to its signature it becomes enjoyable. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #292 of 456
Thank you!

Quote:

The ear pads are oval shaped with the height (top to down) being approximately 6.1 cm and the width being 4.25 cm. The pads are one of the softest I have ever worn, and can give an extra mm or two. However the pads were quite hard when I first got them and uncomfortable at first. Give it 2-3 days and it will be all change. Also at first, you will feel this weird pressure at the top centre of your head, but after a week of use the headphone's band and the weird pressure went away. Part of it is just psychology of me getting used to it but I also noticed the rigidity of the headband decrease for sure compared to right after unboxing them. If you give them 3 hours per day for a week, these will easily be burnt in and the pads and headband will have also settled in. If after that you still find them uncomfortable, get rid of them. But seriously, give them some time, the experience changed quite radically in the first week for me. Would love to hear others on this as well. Best of luck.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #293 of 456
Jun 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #294 of 456
Hey guys,

I've had these headphones for about 5 months now and have really come to enjoy their sound. These are my first headphones and unfortunately where I live there isn't much opportunity to try any other headphones out. So with this being the case, I was wondering if anyone could suggest other headphones which may be considered an upgrade in terms of similar positive attributes or perhaps a different sound which I may appreciate. Obviously I can't point out particular attributes which I find that the 8400s do 'better than other headphones', but I do love in particular the way guitars are presented.

I've been using these to listen to mainly rock styles (blues/pop/alternative/heavy/psychedelic/punk/metal/indie/grunge/garage) but also jazz, classical, soul, RnB, blues and pop.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #295 of 456
I'm highly considering these headphones along with the Fa-003/Brainwavez HM5 and how do these brands compare? They both seem to have sparkling reviews in the neutral-niche of this price ranged except the 003 has a stronger mid-bass from what I understand. Since these would be my first headphones, would I enjoy the 003 more because of this? Also I'll be using these headphones unamped and will be constantly detaching/attaching the audio jacks shifting between my iphone and computer.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #296 of 456
How do you feel about treble? I think the 8400 has more treble than the HM5 and is the brighter headphone of the two. The cable on the 8400 is microphonic so that could be an issue if you're moving it around constantly. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #297 of 456
Both are ok headphones. I did compare them a bit and ended up keeping the KRK. Now I have neither. The KRK were a bit more comfortable, more emphasis on mid-bass, better resolving mid-range and treble though a tad hot. Tonally quite different. I highly prefer the K550 over both. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #298 of 456
I had the FA-003s and I own the 8400s.  I sold both, but bought the 8400s again.  They do a lot of things well, and they sound more natural to me than the FA-003s.  The Fischers sounded too sterile and clinical for me, and they could be bit hot at times.  I think the 8400s can be a bit hot at times, too, but they're richer, fuller and more natural, to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back