The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Mar 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #256 of 456
tdockweiler: are you talking about the X-Fi Go! Pro or just about the original Go? Aren't they a little "lo-fi" for pairing with these headphones? If not, I think I'll buy one as a temporary solution and save to buy a more expensive DAC/AMP (read: E17) later.

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #257 of 456

Quote:
tdockweiler: are you talking about the X-Fi Go! Pro or just about the original Go? Aren't they a little "lo-fi" for pairing with these headphones? If not, I think I'll buy one as a temporary solution and save to buy a more expensive DAC/AMP (read: E17) later.

Definitely not low-fi. Sure a more expensive amp/dac will sound better, but with the KRKs it's not required. They're quite easy to drive.
I have the X-Fi Go Pro. It's the one found at Best Buy for $41.99. I would say it's probably better than my Nuforce Icon Mobile, but not the HRT MSII

It also seems to be a nice match for the HD-598, but definitely not the Q701.

The output is 7.8 ohm, but doesn't effect the KRKs.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #259 of 456
I got mine today but I am not sure how I feel about it. It's brighter than my SRH-440 and has far less bass. The SRH-440 also has a bigger soundstage.... Hrm... I do have SRH-840 pads on it though so maybe that's what's making the difference? I don't know people. I paid $150 for the KRK KNS-8400 and $50 for the SRH-440 with the SRH-840 pads included. The KRK is a lot more detailed but sounds constricted.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #260 of 456

Quote:
I got mine today but I am not sure how I feel about it. It's brighter than my SRH-440 and has far less bass. The SRH-440 also has a bigger soundstage.... Hrm... I do have SRH-840 pads on it though so maybe that's what's making the difference? I don't know people. I paid $150 for the KRK KNS-8400 and $50 for the SRH-440 with the SRH-840 pads included. The KRK is a lot more detailed but sounds constricted.

I'd give them a bit of time. The KRKs are not for everyone, but I love mine despite it being a pain sometimes on some of my music. I think you said you're against burn-in, but even still shove them in a drawer overnight with pink noise. Won't hurt, but won't change someone's opinion I think. It could be like my experience with the A/250. Didn't like it much at first, but now it's quite impressive in many ways. I wouldn't ever pick it at my primary music headphone though.

I never burn in headphones, but I did with my first KRK. Not with the others.

You must have gotten quite a good deal on the 440, because they're now $99 almost everywhere online.

I remember buying a pair at a local Best Buy ($75 on sale). Based on memory I felt they were a nice headphone, but didn't listen to them for more than a half hour due to discomfort. I remember them being fairly bright too, but with more bass (probably less extension?). I returned them only due to the comfort issue. I do prefer the SRH-840 though, but it's much more expensive.

I have a question though. Did your 8400 come with the headphone in a clear plastic shell or sitting in a white plastic shell with a piece of foam attached to the box flap?

They all sounded the same mostly, but the first pair was VERY treble happy out of the box. If you check my old review it was like icicles stabbing me in the ear.

Make sure you try them out with gaming. Do you have Skyrim?

Based on memory, I imagine the difference between the 440 and 8400 is that the 440 might be warmer and have more mid-bass. It's hard to remember the 440 very well, but I did like it. The SRH-940 is nice, but too expensive for the sound you get. SRH-440 might be more "musical" for some compared to the 8400. I'm addicted to the detail and sound clarity of the 8400 though.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #261 of 456
Yeah no burn in for me. 

And my KRK's came is a box with foam glued to the top flap, with a white shell underneath.

Quote:
I'd give them a bit of time. The KRKs are not for everyone, but I love mine despite it being a pain sometimes on some of my music. I think you said you're against burn-in, but even still shove them in a drawer overnight with pink noise. Won't hurt, but won't change someone's opinion I think. It could be like my experience with the A/250. Didn't like it much at first, but now it's quite impressive in many ways. I wouldn't ever pick it at my primary music headphone though.

I never burn in headphones, but I did with my first KRK. Not with the others.

You must have gotten quite a good deal on the 440, because they're now $99 almost everywhere online.

I remember buying a pair at a local Best Buy ($75 on sale). Based on memory I felt they were a nice headphone, but didn't listen to them for more than a half hour due to discomfort. I remember them being fairly bright too, but with more bass (probably less extension?). I returned them only due to the comfort issue. I do prefer the SRH-840 though, but it's much more expensive.

I have a question though. Did your 8400 come with the headphone in a clear plastic shell or sitting in a white plastic shell with a piece of foam attached to the box flap?

They all sounded the same mostly, but the first pair was VERY treble happy out of the box. If you check my old review it was like icicles stabbing me in the ear.

Make sure you try them out with gaming. Do you have Skyrim?

Based on memory, I imagine the difference between the 440 and 8400 is that the 440 might be warmer and have more mid-bass. It's hard to remember the 440 very well, but I did like it. The SRH-940 is nice, but too expensive for the sound you get. SRH-440 might be more "musical" for some compared to the 8400. I'm addicted to the detail and sound clarity of the 8400 though.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #263 of 456

Quote:
How is it compared to Sennheiser HD380 PRO? Sonic, comfort and isolation.

I have owned the KRK 8400 and demoed the HD380 against them.  Take that for what it is and nothing more, but I can share a couple thoughts:

Sonic
-Bass response was larger and more impactful on the HD380
-Soundstage was more spacious on the HD380
-Detail retrieval was easier on the KRK KNS-8400
-Separation was better in the KRK (I heard a slight smear in the HD380 in some string instruments, albeit subtle)

Comfort
I personally found the KRKs more comfortable as the 380 had a bit more clamping force and the cups are huge.  This isn't to say the 380 is uncomfortable by any means... I actually still find the KRKs to be among the most comfortable I've used.  Either choice should be fine here is my guess

Isolation
I actually thought the KRK leaked less sound, but the 380 blocked out more sound.  Neither is the clear winner though, as I thought they both isolated pretty well.

If you're more of a basshead, the HD380 will be the clear better option, but I actually thought the KRK was a little more refined overall

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #264 of 456
Thanks. R-Radiohead. Rite now 8400 is out of stock here. I think I will get both but hd380 first. I need a can of which can block out the noise in train if you know HK is quite a noisy city,
dt880smile.png

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #266 of 456
Here's a graph I've found for the 8400. It's similar to the one on Headroom's website past a certain point.
Looks like a roller coaster, but it sounds smoother than the graphs make it appear. At least with my pair.

http://en.goldenears.net/9213

It looks very similar to the K601 graph if I remember right.

For a good laugh, check out the Koss MV1 graph. Ugh...hope that's not right.

Don't view that site or you won't be able to get any work done for the next hour!

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #267 of 456
Travis,

I know you said the 8400 sound good unamped but I have issues. They are not as easy to power as you think, and without a high current amp the bass is severely lacking and they are bright. I found that when driven from my V200 the treble smooths out and the bass really comes in nicely. When unamped the bass is so thin. Even from my X-CANV8P the bass is excellent. On the V181 the bass is big and powerful as well.

What do you think of this situation? It seems you and I can never agree on sound signature and amping requirements...

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #268 of 456

Quote:
Thanks. R-Radiohead. Rite now 8400 is out of stock here. I think I will get both but hd380 first. I need a can of which can block out the noise in train if you know HK is quite a noisy city,
dt880smile.png

Feel free to let us know how they compare when you end up with both!

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #270 of 456

Quote:
Travis,

I know you said the 8400 sound good unamped but I have issues. They are not as easy to power as you think, and without a high current amp the bass is severely lacking and they are bright. I found that when driven from my V200 the treble smooths out and the bass really comes in nicely. When unamped the bass is so thin. Even from my X-CANV8P the bass is excellent. On the V181 the bass is big and powerful as well.

What do you think of this situation? It seems you and I can never agree on sound signature and amping requirements...

It's funny because I always thought the 6400 and 8400 had the same power requirements and needed the same volume levels. Don't ask me why.
I remember a month ago trying to drive the 8400 from my Sansa Clip (which can actually drive some really hard to drive headphones VERY well!!) and was VERY surprised that my DJ100 got even louder than the KNS-8400!
The 8400 had to be maxed and even then it wasn't that loud. Even the HD-598 is louder.

I think someone asked me if they were a good choice for the Clip and I believe I didn't suggest it due to this.

Honestly I rarely use these un-amped or as a portable, but they sound OK from some of my portable devices. Never did any major comparisons on sources/amps like I do with my DJ100. I almost never used headphones without an amp. HD-598 for ambient sometimes
biggrin.gif

I don't know if I ever said they're easy to drive, but it's possible! Pretty sure i've always tried to point out that they 100% do benefit from a good amp and DAC. Even when it has amp overkill they don't seem to suffer from any major signature changes (in a negative way).

When properly amped, this pair has NEVER ever sounded even close to being bass light. I still think it does not have emphasized mid-bass, but it's focus seems to be more on sub-bass. When well amped, there is actually more sub-bass than the Q701 and HD-580/600 (with stock cables).

The only time it's treble is fatiguing for me is when it's due to a crappy recording that's poorly mastered. It won't touch a thing and make it sound easier on the ears. Same with the Q701.

I've also noticed that with my amp and DAC, the soundstage actually increases in size. Have you noticed this too? I mean, even enough to fool me into thinking it's semi-open. A nice DAC really improves the detail too obviously.

I think one consensus around here is that the KRKs have too much treble and are too bass light. It's kind of like a joke to me because I never found this to be the case. My first pair might have had some issues, but no way of knowing for sure. This pair sounds quite good and doesn't have the relaxed mids of the first.

BTW as long as these get more than enough power, they seem to benefit more from a DAC than amps. I mean, the sound doesn't change as much when you switch amps that can drive them well. Have they for you?

Also..if they were bass light and too treble happy for me they'd be sold ASAP!
normal_smile%20.gif
If you agree that they're NOT like this, then we have similar impressions!

Hopefully your impressions of them has improved a little! Hope so, but maybe not. I pretty much love mine and I actually think they're comparable in sound quality (not signature) to the Q701. Yeah...I said it, don't hurt me. Love my Q701 too though.

Gaming with the 8400 is what impresses me the most. Skyrim with the 8400 and some amping is a must!! Oh and then the sound clarity and detail..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back