The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Feb 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #226 of 456
I ultimately got rid of my V6 because they were a little too bright for my taste. Will the 8400s be fatiguing for me in the treble area?

They're definitely smoother and less fatiguing than the V6.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #227 of 456

Quote:
I wonder if it's possible for someone out there to actually like the 6400 more than the 8400? It has a little more mid-bass and often sounds a little more natural at times.

As I stated in an previous post,I liked the 6400 better.Something went wrong with the 8400 for me,when I listened to them (out of the same ipod,same music).The way the pads covered my ears and isolated,made them sound not so good,somewhat heavy and full sound,but in an unnatural way,with unnatural timbre.When I reduced the presure of the earcups using my hands,the sound was actually very nice and balanced,so something has to do with the fit of these pleather pads on my head/ears.I have a feeling that if I listen the 8400 with the 6400 pads,I'll actually like it.

I also think that my experience is similar with what beagle said two posts back,I think we heard a similar sound effect we didn't like with the 8400.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #228 of 456

Quote:
Can anyone compare these to the HD 380's? 

I can tell you my opinion for the 6400,which I compared once with the hd 380's.

The 380 didn't sound bad to my ears,but they had that hollow/unnatural sound in some frequences(mids/vocals),you often hear with closed headphones,and the soundstage although a bit impressive at first,was expanded somewhat unnatural.6400 was definetely better for me,very good headphone for the money,good with many different kinds of music I tested it with,good all arounder.I would easily choose it over the 380.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #230 of 456
M50
Looks like the M50 is much more balanced to me. 
KRK 8400

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #231 of 456

Quote:
M50
Looks like the M50 is much more balanced to me. 
KRK 8400

Apparently position matters quite a bit for the KRK

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #232 of 456
True, but I find the graph for the KRK to be very accurate. 

Correct me if Im Wrong, but the KRK's dont hit to about 100hz in the 0db range, while as all the sub bass frequencies are about -5db to -10db below, which totally explains the lack of bass of the KRK's, last time I checked having -10db on from 0-100hz is NOT a flat response.

The M50's hit 20hz EASY at 0db and tend to ride along within 5db of the frequency respose.  

IMO more accurate sound.  I'll post my thoughts when they arrive.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #233 of 456
Just got my M50's today, 2 songs in and im already loving them.   Beats the KRK's HANDS DOWN

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #234 of 456

Quote:
Just got my M50's today, 2 songs in and im already loving them.   Beats the KRK's HANDS DOWN

Yes, maybe for you. Do you still have the 8400? If so, please do a M50 vs 8400 comparison/review for everyone. A/B comparisons would be nice! I think I did a comparison of the 8400, M50, DJ100 and a few others a long time ago. Even did one against the 940. It's kind of annoying to do, but very interesting.

So why does the M50 beat the 8400 to you? More musical? More bass? More accurate? M50 is a good headphone and it's perfectly understandable why some may prefer it.
The deal killer for me with the M50 is it's mids just didn't do it for me. Too recessed (new version less so). Owned them for a year or more. The white box version is great. Old version..a little less so. Bassheads will prefer the old version for sure.

When it comes to graphs I prefer to trust my ears. The M50 doesn't sound very balanced and slightly less accurate. I don't think the 8400 is as flat as a pancake, but no frequencies jump out at me at all.
I mean how is it accurate when the bass is too boomy during specific songs when it shouldn't be? I know how all my songs sound. I guess it's either that or less bass on the 8400.

I have a question for you. What did your box of the 8400 look like? Did it have a clear plastic shell inside or did it have a white shell with foam attached to the box?

The first pair I had may have been a lemon, it had much less bass than this pair. I actually complained about this a bit. I would estimate it sounded like it had slightly less than my AD700(!) but much better extension. It sounded closer to my A/250 and had more of a treble focus and more relaxed mids. It's weird how if you do some checking online there's one review saying the same thing.

I'm happy with my 3rd pair the most since it's bass is quite good and not bass light. It seems more balanced and it's mids are very engaging. All depending on the song, just how the DT-880 was.
It's weird how my "bass light" 8400 has better sub-bass (more forward) than my Q701.

Seems we need more impressions of the 6400! I need to listen to it some more. Right now I'm alternating between the Q701, 8400 and my new HD-580. I'd say I like my 8400 as much as the Q701, but Q701 is MUCH warmer and I can't go without an open headphone.

I think for many the 8400 might not be "musical" enough. Now all our ideas of this is different, but the 8400 is for me. The 6400 is even more so, but the 8400 does a few more things better.

I wonder what an EQed 8400 would sound like? I bet it'd ruin it's signature for me, but who knows. Never tried it. I also should see what the 8400 sounds like with the 6400's pads. Might be interesting..

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #235 of 456

So why does the M50 beat the 8400 to you? More musical? More bass? More accurate? M50 is a good headphone and it's perfectly understandable why some may prefer it.
The deal killer for me with the M50 is it's mids just didn't do it for me. Too recessed (new version less so). Owned them for a year or more. The white box version is great. Old version..a little less so. Bassheads will prefer the old version for sure.

Just about everything you stated I find the M50 is better at. More musical, more bass and more accurate.  I did purchase the "white box"  and cant really say I notice any issues with the mids.  As for the bass response I dont feel like its overpowering at all, they feel very flat compared to the other ranges.    

One thing I will say is the KRK's take the win on comfort, but who cares for me, the M50's are the clear winner.    I would do some A/B tests but I already sent out the 8400's for refund. 

3:33 in this song, I had no idea that bass solo was even present with the KRK's.    http://www.datafilehost.com/download-78ccb5d8.html

HOWEVER, still early, I really need to listen to a lot of my tracks to see how I like it, after a couple days Ill post some more thoughts.  

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #236 of 456
I just got mine, and I really like what I'm hearing so far. However, I'm still looking for an amp for this headphone, preferably in combination with a DAC as I want to be able to use my laptop as a source. Unfortunately, my budget is only about 80 dollars. Options I'm considering are the Fiio E7, Turtle Beach Micro II + Fiio E6 and HotAudio DAC Destroyer + Fiio E6. Can someone please recommend me something within my budget? Thanks!

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #237 of 456

Quote:
I just got mine, and I really like what I'm hearing so far. However, I'm still looking for an amp for this headphone, preferably in combination with a DAC as I want to be able to use my laptop as a source. Unfortunately, my budget is only about 80 dollars. Options I'm considering are the Fiio E7, Turtle Beach Micro II + Fiio E6 and HotAudio DAC Destroyer + Fiio E6. Can someone please recommend me something within my budget? Thanks!

Why not Fiio E10 its better than the other fiio products mentioned at this price range - better amp and dec combo than e7 - minus the portability. Although considering laptop is your (primary?) source, I would go with the E10.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #238 of 456

Quote:

Just about everything you stated I find the M50 is better at. More musical, more bass and more accurate.  I did purchase the "white box"  and cant really say I notice any issues with the mids.  As for the bass response I dont feel like its overpowering at all, they feel very flat compared to the other ranges.    

One thing I will say is the KRK's take the win on comfort, but who cares for me, the M50's are the clear winner.    I would do some A/B tests but I already sent out the 8400's for refund. 

3:33 in this song, I had no idea that bass solo was even present with the KRK's.    http://www.datafilehost.com/download-78ccb5d8.html

HOWEVER, still early, I really need to listen to a lot of my tracks to see how I like it, after a couple days Ill post some more thoughts.  

Today I was bored and tested this song with several headphones. The KRK KNS-8400 presents the bass almost the same exact way as the HD-580 (with HD-600 grills) and Q701. Both of these along with the 8400 have neutral bass or close to it. It's actually slightly less present on the Q701 than the KRK KNS-8400. I think all 3 are presenting it how it's possibly supposed to be with a fairly neutral headphone. On the 8400 the sound was slightly peaky in some areas and a little less so on the Q701. I wouldn't know for sure which present it how it's supposed to be. On the HD-580 it was much smoother and nowhere near as crystal clear as on the 8400 and Q701. Surprised that song is more clear on the 8400 compared to the Q701 and HD-580.

I also tested it on the bass heavy Panasonic HTF-600 (only bass heavy headphone I own) and the bass was definitely more elevated and more present. Some may prefer this, but it HAS to be less accurate. I think this has much more bass than the M50 perhaps and even less accurate.

I would say my DJ100 had the best bass out of all of the headphones. It sounded slightly more present than the other headphones, but still accurate enough.

The biggest surprise is that once again the KNS-6400 has similar bass as the DJ100. Definitely more present than the 8400 with this song. I use the memory foam pads, but this shouldn't alter the bass much, if at all.

Some say the 6400 doesn't have elevated mid-bass, but I think it does slightly, but not as much as the Sony MDR-V6, K240 Studio or M50. Probably comparable to my DJ100.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #239 of 456
Does anyone have a pair of m-audio q40? These and the krk are the two main headphones I am looking at for portable use. Want something with deep bass does not need to be bass head power. Had a listen to a pair of creative live I gave to a friend they had about the right amount of bass. Though it was threw my crappy phone so it was not an ideal test.

Would like the dj100 but needing an amp kills it for me.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #240 of 456

Quote:
Does anyone have a pair of m-audio q40? These and the krk are the two main headphones I am looking at for portable use. Want something with deep bass does not need to be bass head power. Had a listen to a pair of creative live I gave to a friend they had about the right amount of bass. Though it was threw my crappy phone so it was not an ideal test.
Would like the dj100 but needing an amp kills it for me.

I always wanted to try the Q40, but never pulled the trigger. I actually inquired about replacement pads on the Q40 and M-Audio said they were not replaceable. What the heck? How is that not possible? The pads look kind of uncomfortable.

I imagine the Q40 is a bass monster compared to the KRKs. Wish I knew.

The DJ100 doesn't absolutely require an amp, but it's more picky with source. Strangely enough it sounds great from a Sansa Clip, but not as much with other sources that are even larger such as the Fuze or even Portable CD players. Right now I can easily make it sound bad, which is kind of sad.

BTW I think most larger phones could drive it. Well, maybe the Iphone or an Android device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back