The KRK KNS-8400: you can have it all.
Feb 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #211 of 456
I think the 6400  has more emphasized mid-bass than the 8400. No gigantic hump, but maybe a small one. The 6400 did seem to extend as low as the 8400, but it was a little harder to hear.

For me, the treble on the 8400 is near perfect! It's actually my most treble happy headphone and has very good extension. It might even have TOO MUCH treble. I rarely think this and when it occurs I'll often compare songs with how they are on the Q701 just to be sure. I don't think any frequency on the 8400 jumps out on me, but if anything, it might be the treble just a tad. The most annoying thing is just trying to figure out of it's just a bad recording or what. I could say the 8400's treble to my ears is slightly edgy. Not like the DT-990 or SR-325is though.

The treble on the 6400 seems a tiny bit smoother and less extended. It's actually very hard to tell the difference and sometimes it's even had me fooled.

Quote:
Yea the bass to me at first sounded really weak, but it was just due to lack of mid-bass. Although to be fair, the mid-bass and sub-bass are both flat, it just appears that the mid-bass is especially missing because most headphones tend to have a bump there in the FR to give that boost, so these tend to be weak there. So since, the mid-bass is flat, the tendency for me, and perhaps other people, is to notice that the sub-bass is present more than the mid-bass when its actually simply people noticing the sub-bass due to their lower than expected mid bass presence. Regarding the highs, these for some genres seem dull to listen to and not always engaging although regardless of the genre can always hear every thing from highs to lows. I will admit that the highs don't have a superb extension, but a decent one - although it fits in very nicely with the rest of spectrum. Mids are definitely neutral on this and pleasing to hear. Following drums and percussive instruments for music production is a delight on this. Regarding the soundstage, I am okay with the width, however the depth seems meh. Anyone with similar thoughts?

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #212 of 456
My headphones arrived yesterday, ill post my thoughts as soon I get some hours in.

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #213 of 456
I'm about to buy these headphones, and I was wondering which amp I should buy for it. I was considering the digiZoid ZO, or would that be a really bad idea? If so, would I be much better of with the E11? Any other suggestions?

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #216 of 456

Quote:
Update: Really REALLY enjoying these, I originally had them hooked up to my motherboard on my gaming rig, but switched to the 1/4th adapter and my Yamaha AX-497.    Bumbed the bass up 3db on the reciever and now I really getting the sound I want.   Plus I think they just sound better in general hooked up to the reciever?  

They also benefit a lot from a good DAC. Even more so than many of my other headphones such as the HD-598. More detail plus a larger soundstage. I'm using the HRT Music Streamer II with it, but the E10 might be a good match too.

The Headroom amps are a perfect match for any of the KRKs.

I tried the KRK KNS-6400 with my Onkyo receiver once. Watched the blu-ray of Aliens with it and it was pretty impressive. Seriously felt like a semi-open or even open headphone. No kidding.

Someone please watch "U-571" with the 8400 and report back. I believe that Blu-Ray has a lot of good sub-bass in it. You may be surprised what the 8400 is capable of. Maybe "Master and Commander" also? Heard that's a good one for testing bass.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #217 of 456

Quote:
I tried the KRK KNS-6400 with my Onkyo receiver once. Watched the blu-ray of Aliens with it and it was pretty impressive. Seriously felt like a semi-open or even open headphone. No kidding.

That was exactly my experiance when using my Onkyo reciever with the KRK KNS-8400 and audio going out from the computer. I was like, "Wow these sound alot like my Audio Technica Ath-AD700 but without the grainy sound". With the added bonus of the memory foam pads which isolate outside sound really well am in headphone nirvana without any worry of distractions when playing Skyrim or listening to some Brian Eno. Both of which can get pretty ambient.

I doubt i'll be buying anymore audio equipment after getting the KRK KNS-8400 and the V-moda Crossfade LP last month. Will probably stick to enjoying music and maybe get a rug to make things more comfortable when listening to the bookshelf speakers (JBL Control One, Insignia Bass Reflex and some KLH Pro-6 my friend got from RadioShack).

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #219 of 456

Quote:
Yeah yeah, and I was going to stop drinking the first time I had a hangover :)

Dang nab it but i graduated from my 12 Step program! Oh wait a minute that doesnt happen til am....
eek.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #221 of 456
Can anyone compare these to the HD 380's? 

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #222 of 456

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago I brought home a pair of 8400's.

Listened to them for days.

Did not like them.

I think what best describes my impressions was when I dozed off while listening -
and upon waking; momentarily confused, I said to myself

"What headphones are these?  They don't sound very good at all."

Yes, they're very comfortable to wear and so is the price point.
But the bass lacks, and thus the midrange and treble are overly present.

They're not sonically balanced consistently within themselves,and
thus it becomes disappointing and even irritating to listen to them after a while.

At the same price, more or less, I much prefer the Sony MDR 7510
(the "pro" version of the ZX700).  For maybe $40.00 more, you can have
the ATH-M50 which IMO are far, far better phones than the 8400's.
Shure 840's sound better as well.  And if you include open phones
into the mix, there's even a wider variety of better sounding phones.

Well, I got about 24 hours in so far and I would have have to agree with the above statement.  As first I really enjoyed the "new" and "clean" sound that these headphones put out, but after extended use and a little monitoring the bass response is indeed WAY to underemphasized making the treble and midrange pierce my ears.  Overall I was impressed at first, but after continius listening you really start to feel like these things are missing somthing.  Going with the refund : (.

Just orderd a pair of ATH-M50's. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #223 of 456
If you don't like them, you don't like them. There's no best headphone for everyone and we all have our sound signature preferences.
I don't find the M50 or SRH-840 any more balanced than the 8400.

I have no doubts that some won't like them and may want something with more emphasized bass. I don't.

The M50's mids just don't do it for me. It's a good headphone, but it's about as boring as listening to the D2000 or HD-600.
Now most people find the D2000 and M50 to be fun headphones, but I guess we all prefer a specific signature. I'll take good mids or even slightly forward mids over more bass or treble.

I actually found both versions of the M50 to have too much bass. It's not even neutral bass IMO and too much mid-bass.
Some may like this and no big deal.

The SRH-840 also has too much mid-bass, not enough sub-bass and it's mids are quite forward. I loved the SRH-840 when I had it, but it did lose out to the 8400 when it came to my preferences. I've found the SRH-840 warmer than the 8400, but it lost out on sound clarity, treble extension and detail. The SRH-840 is painful to wear and that's why I side-graded to the M50 for awhile..until I found the DJ100.

I also don't think the M50 or SRH-840's soundstage can compare to the 8400. The newer boxed M50's soundstage isn't too bad. It's fairly accurate at least. It's not large, but fairly accurate.

I wonder if it's possible for someone out there to actually like the 6400 more than the 8400? It has a little more mid-bass and often sounds a little more natural at times.

As much as I like the 8400, I don't know if I could live with it as my ONLY headphone. I'll admit sometimes I crave a little more bass. For that I have my DJ100 or HD-580 (8400 has better sub-bass easily).

The KRKs are perfect for my music, but no way ever I'd keep them if I listen to a ton of bass heavy  music. I've actually found they're good for almost everything in my collection.

I've found the bass (and overall sound) really does improve with a warm amp and good DAC. I've always found the bass on them is perfect for me, but does not have any mid-bass hump.

I actually think the low bass of the 8400 is better than that of the Q701! Q701 just has more mid-bass.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #224 of 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've always found the bass on them is perfect for me, but does not have any mid-bass hump.

I like the 8400 but I hear a tubbiness in the bass and it's somewhere in the mid and upper area. Also has a tightness and the whole bass range does not 'breathe' properly, very homogenized.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #225 of 456
Question to 8400 owners: how do these compare to the Etymotic HF3/5s? Mainly how does the treble compare? So far, my brightest cans are the HD25 and my Etys and I find their treble just fine. I ultimately got rid of my V6 because they were a little too bright for my taste. Will the 8400s be fatiguing for me in the treble area? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back