The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Aug 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #361 of 8,352
Quote:

Opened up the S500. Empty plastic cup. No stock dampening material.

I've set some 2mm spacers between the screw points. After reassembly, the S500 are now consider semi-open or vented.

Hi! I would like to ask you if you can measure the exact dimension for the driver of HA-S500. Whenever you find the time during your experimentatios with damping material(s). I am inclined to do similar once I receive my pair.

I see it will be a VERY tight fit or mission impossible for my proposed rebuild of JVC HM-200E, particularly regarding height/depth of the driver, so please make exact measurements, down to a tenth of a mm. Is the metal driver possible to be separated from the plastic collar plate around it or is it moulded in it once and for all ?

Please take care while working with this gem - it would have been sad to see it demaged this way. Above all, enjoy yours !

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #362 of 8,352
Quote:
Hi! I would like to ask you if you can measure the exact dimension for the driver of HA-S500. Whenever you find the time during your experimentatios with damping material(s). I am inclined to do similar once I receive my pair.

I see it will be a VERY tight fit or mission impossible for my proposed rebuild of JVC HM-200E, particularly regarding height/depth of the driver, so please make exact measurements, down to a tenth of a mm. Is the metal driver possible to be separated from the plastic collar plate around it or is it moulded in it once and for all ?

Please take care while working with this gem - it would have been sad to see it demaged this way. Above all, enjoy yours !

Yeah sure I'll get to that. Probably will have an answer for you by next week if anyone hasn't chimed in by then yet.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #363 of 8,352
Quote:
Yeah sure I'll get to that. Probably will have an answer for you by next week if anyone hasn't chimed in by then yet.

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to further developments.

Ultimately decided not to try to upgrade my shipping from Amazon to expedited - I must have been among the very last that got that killer price and do not want to push my luck too far - I do not want the item to suddenly become "unavailable".

Still, it will be qute a wait...

Enjoy your music !

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #364 of 8,352
I am one of the lucky few who ordered them when they were at that crazy low price 
biggrin.gif

I probably will let people know what I think of them but tbh I'm such a noob, I don't really know what I'm talking about regarding iem's/headphones.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #365 of 8,352
Quote:
I am one of the lucky few who ordered them when they were at that crazy low price 
biggrin.gif

I probably will let people know what I think of them but tbh I'm such a noob, I don't really know what I'm talking about regarding iem's/headphones.

I wish I would have found this thread about 8 hours sooner than I did. Still, $77 shipped with EMS from ace of bicycle on Ebay is a pretty good price. The more impressions the better.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #366 of 8,352
Quote:
Way to go Dsnuts. I switch between the S500, FXD80 and ASG-1.2 with ear time now. Have the S500 on my ears now with about 80 hours. Wonderful!

Now you've spent some time with both, how do you feel the FXD80 compare to the S500?  I have both of these incoming along with a GR07 Mk2.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #367 of 8,352
Quote:

Now you've spent some time with both, how do you feel the FXD80 compare to the S500?  I have both of these incoming along with a GR07 Mk2.

bobeau about the same. One doesn't cancel out the other. The FXD80 has remarkable space, instrument separation and detail. It has a very airy sound to it. The S500 is also quite detailed, but not as much space and/or airiness due to it being a closed-phone. The bass, however, is ridiculous and clean in the S500. Both have forward mids, but I would consider the S500 more bass heavy than the D80. The IEM sound is more neutral to my ears than the S500.Both are wonderful.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #368 of 8,352
Quote:
bobeau about the same. One doesn't cancel out the other. The FXD80 has remarkable space, instrument separation and detail. It has a very airy sound to it. The S500 is also quite detailed, but not as much space and/or airiness due to it being a closed-phone. The bass, however, is ridiculous and clean in the S500. Both have forward mids, but I would consider the S500 more bass heavy than the D80. The IEM sound is more neutral to my ears than the S500.Both are wonderful.

Cool, thanks Eric.  BTW what are you driving these guys with?

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #370 of 8,352
Oh Shizzle look at what I just got. Gamble payed off cuz~!

Oh damn! The sound has no effect what soever but with one major difference. They feel like pillows on my head now. Gamble payed off..Yup. $23 from BnH. You guys want the ultimate in comfort. These fit PERFECT! I know the velours are more plushy and has a smaller sound hole but you know what. They sound fantabulous if anything the sounds are a bit more forward but not enough to take away from what they already sound like. These get the thumbs up!  This model would be the Sennheiser HD25 velour pads -ohrpolster

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352733-REG/Sennheiser_069417_Replacement_Velour_Earpads_for.html    Now this this strictly optional but. Pillows mang .That's what I'm talking about!

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #371 of 8,352
Quote:

Oh damn! The sound has no effect what soever but with one major difference. They feel like pillows on my head now. Gamble payed off..Yup. $23 from BnH. You guys want the ultimate in comfort. These fit PERFECT! I know the velours are more plushy and has a smaller sound hole but you know what. They sound fantabulous if anything the sounds are a bit more forward but not enough to take away from what they already sound like. These get the thumbs up!

Ok wait!? What pads did you get!? Are those HD 25 II or something pads? $23?!?? My poor wallet!

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #372 of 8,352
Quote:

I know the velours are more plushy and has a smaller sound hole.

It looks these are covering more than 50% of the driver... really no adverse effects from that?  Do the stock pads have notable comfort issues?

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #373 of 8,352
By the way BnH web site is temporarily down is what is says. Oh mang. These are Soooo comfy. lol!

Again optional. The original pads are not uncomfy to me but the difference between velour and vinyl is how can you say. HUGE..They look more fabulous than they already are too..I had a good feeling about these velours. They do the job perfectly..For the uber rich you can get the limited edition blue adidas velours on ebay for something like $56 or so but you know what these black ones are prefect.

The only concern I had was that these sound holes are much smaller than the original pads but. I can't tell the difference in sound. It sounds lovely as ever..One bit of warning. If you end up getting these pads. IT does require some muscle to put on. You gotta stretch the velours out in order for them to fit. Bigger velours on 50mm drivers are much easier to put on vs these but I like the fact that they fit snug. They fit like they were made for them. The link is working now.

I got over 100 hours on my pair and now with velours. It just don't get much better. <3 <3 <3. These things are off the chain!

OH one last point. For our Euro friends you guys can pick up a pair of these velours from ebay for a similar price.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #374 of 8,352
Quote:
By the way BnH web site is temporarily down is what is says. Oh mang. These are Soooo comfy. lol!

Again optional. The original pads are not uncomfy to me but the difference between velour and vinyl is how can you say. HUGE..They look more fabulous than they already are too..I had a good feeling about these velours. They do the job perfectly..For the uber rich you can get the limited edition blue adidas velours on ebay for something like $56 or so but you know what these black ones are prefect.

So I take it these are the HD 25 II pads.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #375 of 8,352
Quote:

Cool, thanks Eric.  BTW what are you driving these guys with?

iPod nano (most recent version) dives the S500 easily. Harder to drive the D80 with it, but I get sufficient volume with the nano and the IEM. With my home computer I switch between using the Fiio E10 as amp and dac, or using the E10 as the dac (only) and the E9 as the amp. I actually prefer the sound using the E10 only by a smidgen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back