The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #781 of 22,500
  First day of the 2013 Manila Hi-Fi Show just ended. I brought the Abyss to the local head-fiers.

I call this piece, "Faces of the Abyss"

Awesome!! This is terrible how all these Abyss pix are making me really re-think of my home desktop strategy. How's the Abyss off the ALO Studio Six??

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #782 of 22,500

Awesome!! This is terrible how all these Abyss pix are making me really re-think of my home desktop strategy. How's the Abyss off the ALO Studio Six??

The poison!

Oh its great... though I feel it needs a true balanced setup to really show the Abyss for what it is... though those faces will really sell the Abyss :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #783 of 22,500
My two best portable set up with Abyss 1266

Source : IPhone 4 S mod
Dac / Amp : Hi Fi M8 RSA version
Cyberlabs Theorem 720 dac
Cable : Lod to USB diy
Moon Audio Silver Dragon v1

SQ : these two are two beet dac amp for I device to drive my Abyss

IMO

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #784 of 22,500

The poison!

Oh its great... though I feel it needs a true balanced setup to really show the Abyss for what it is... though those faces will really sell the Abyss :)

It is a shame that they are not allowing or telling the people to adjust the headband wider.....as I am sure that some of these guys are definitely not getting to hear the bass performance, the Abyss is capable of presenting......

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #785 of 22,500
It is a shame that they are not allowing or telling the people to adjust the headband wider.....as I am sure that some of these guys are definitely not getting to hear the bass performance, the Abyss is capable of presenting......

I have read this a few times, does the Abyss sound best with a relatively loose fit?

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #786 of 22,500
I have read this a few times, does the Abyss sound best with a relatively loose fit?

That depends on personal preference. Unlike the STAX which fall apart with a loose fit (bloated mid-bass, extreme loss of low end), the Abyss doesn't change all that much. With a loose fit, there's a slight emphasis (a few db) at 40Hz and a slight rolloff below 30Hz. Subjectively, along with the increased sub-bass it sounds a bit punchier. I could go either way depending upon my mood, although with the recent mods to even out the treble more, I've been going with the full seal.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #787 of 22,500

The poison!

I suggest against confusing people about balanced vs. SE. That has nothing to do with the performance with a particular pair of headphones. Indeed, by that logic, a balanced portable amp would work better than a full-sized, high-end SE desktop amp. What AnakChan is asking about is, a specific amp.  I'd like to read more impressions from people who tried them on the Studio Six as well. 
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #789 of 22,500
  Great/scary to see that a monstrous typhoon isn't stopping people from going to check out the Abyss and other head-fi gear.  Hope you and your families stay safe.

Its sunny here in Manila, but in the southern part, in Cebu and Bohol (where a nasty earthquake hit a few weeks ago) its been hectic. Search and rescue are still going though...

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #790 of 22,500
The balanced vs single ended (SE) thing is definitely confusing in two channel audio. It's implications are a variable depending on the application.

For example, the Cavalli LAu is fully balanced throughout, having four channels of amplification for a stereo amp, 2 amplifier channels per left and right side. So while it can properly convert a single ended RCA 2 channel input into 4 channels of fully balanced XLR out, the best way to utilize the LAu to the fullest extent is to input a fully balanced source, particularly where the source component is full differential balanced throughout, just as it is with 4 channels of amplification. To know if this is possible given your source typically requires you to ask the designer.

For example, the Woo Audio WA-5 needs to be used with the 4 pin balanced out to properly drive the AB-1266. There's a difference between the 4 pin XLR balanced output and the 6.3 mm / 1/4" out, so you need to educate yourself as to the differences.

Best way to determine your course of action would be to speak with the equipment manufacturers directly about how to best interface your gear.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Nov 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #791 of 22,500
Great/scary to see that a monstrous typhoon isn't stopping people from going to check out the Abyss and other head-fi gear.  Hope you and your families stay safe.

Abyss is like Typhoon too , after we heard can not get back

Its sunny here in Manila, but in the southern part, in Cebu and Bohol (where a nasty earthquake hit a few weeks ago) its been hectic. Search and rescue are still going though...

I am sorry to hear that typhoon in Philippine VZ

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #792 of 22,500
My 3 stacks that can drive my Abyss very good for portable use

It is not optimal to drive Abyss only with portable set up , for take the fuller SQ must drive use desktop rigs

Source : iPhone 4 s Mod
Dac : Cyberlabs Class dB 2.00 Vrms version
Amp : ALO Rx 3 B
Headphone : Abyss 1266
Cable : mini to mini diy
Mini USB to Lod diy
Adapter mini to USB

f27b343cded2e147efc091964082cc41_zpsa8596f75.jpg

a6d500381e34aa4f68a692227cbe3f38_zps5fd7d4d3.jpg

Cheers

Rudi

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #793 of 22,500
I have tried to Find The best portable set Up For My Abyss , at The End i found out The best from all My portable set Up as follow :

Source : IPhone 4s mod
Dac : Cypher Labs Class Solo old version
Amp : Alo Rx 3 B
Headphone : Abyss 1266
Cable : Lod to USB and mini to mini diy

Sound quality :
The best portable set Up that can drive My Abyss to desktop sound quality.

I turn The volume at 11 to 12 O clock I get very Loud sound

This evening We compared With
Dac / Amp : Eximus DP 1
Source : AK 100 mod as full transport

And compare to
Source : AK 100 mod as transport
Dac : Eximus DP 1
Amp : Bakoon HDA 5210 mk 3 as Power amp

The Winner is My portable set Up above .

This set Up is not Only Good In sound quality but got plenty OF Power like desktop
Cypher Labs Class solo until now is The best DAC For i device With plenty OF Power

IMO

8b039af3168d560e0c26f4acd966cc36_zpsb9a85c16.jpg

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #794 of 22,500
I am approaching the Abyss AB-1266 quite differently from Rudi.....For me, it has been trying to get the best sonic performance out of the Abyss, no compromises.. 

It has been an interesting week, as I am looking for new home speakers to replace my Magico Q5, the natural progressing is the Q7. I auditioned the Q7 on Tuesday, powered by the TOTL Constellation Pre and Power amplifiers and sourced by the 4 stack dCS Vivaldi. The sound emanating from this system is without a doubt, sublime. The accuracy, resolving and transparent nature is stellar. Everything was life size and true to proportion.

It bettered the next best system I heard this year which was the Pluto turntable, Boulder phono, pre and power amps (3000 series) and Wilson Alexandria XLF.

Back to the Abyss. After listening to the above system, it redefined/ reaffirmed my references, and I set about moving the sonic character of the Abyss towards what I heard. I acquired a Nordost power cord that fed my power conditioner and used all silver/gold cabling ahead. The better Nordost cables are known for their speed, transparency, slight upper mid and high tilt, and soundstaging capabilities. What I was not expecting was the sheer improvement in the bass. Resolving, harmonically rich, great weight and locational/directional.

With the mids and highs, it gives me the improvement that I sought. More precision, liveliness and spaciousness with better nuances. The highs has more shimmer, sparkle, dynamics and weight. Impact on cymbals has improved significantaly along with the ethereal decay glow that surrounds the cymbals after it is struck. The transparent and revealing nature of the Abyss are first class along with incredible detail that it is able to portray!

There a few more things that I would like to make on my system, which includes a third party power supply to the Lumin Music Player, another Nordost power cord and their QX4.

Again, I will reiterate that, in my opinion, in the current market place, no other pair of headphones comes close to the Abyss, and it is the only headphone that gives me a semblance to the above speaker system.     

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #795 of 22,500
HI Gavin

I am agree With Your impression , that Abyss In My opinion The best headphone In The World to date .

I tried With My portable set Up , it is Only to Share that Abyss is excellent to With portable set Up like i tried This evening With My friends .

With Your High End desktop set Up , i believe sound havenly than My portable set Up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back