The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #751 of 22,596
  Had some fun at my friend's today trying the Abyss on the Studio 6 sourced by the Lumin, and a very nice sounding combination indeed.......................

We are both tweakers, and originally he had the Shun Mook diamond resonators underneath the Studio 6 and it sounded a tad slow with a slight smearing in the upper mid/ lower trebles....We changed the Shun Mook out and inserted Nordost Kones and immediately the smearing was cleaned up allowing more vibrancy to come through.

I think many will be happy with this combination, and enough for my friend to take steps in buying a pair of the Abyss. For him, he says that the Abyss are the best Headphones he has heard and probably betters a Stax set up. That, the bass performance on the Abyss is unimpeachable, and the preciseness and realism of presentation is unmatched.

I, of course concur with his thoughts.....................

Apologies for the poor phone pics :frowning2:

*cut pics!*

Lovely impressions! I tried the Abyss with the Studio Six in a shop a few weeks back and I didn't like it... Then on the way home the store manager texted me, they had the tubes in wrong... haha.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #755 of 22,596

Store manager texting tubes the wrong way? What an excuse!!!

Wrong on what way? Man, i'm surprised they didn't blow something???

they had the wrong tube in the wrong spot, they looked the same!

Also he got it right now!

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #756 of 22,596
My Abyss With HI Fi M8 as source

Source : iPhone 4s mod
Dac : HI Fi M8
Amp : Pre Amp Tube P 10.2

Abyss With better source like CD Player and High End DAC sound quality improve siginificant

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #757 of 22,596
I don't understand how people are willing to spend $5000 on a pair of headphones and then proceed to power it from portable gear and other lesser quality amps/DACs. It's kinda disrespectful to the Abyss in my honest opinion. Don't they see that for $5000 they could have a setup that easily surpasses their current setup? 
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #758 of 22,596
  I don't understand how people are willing to spend $5000 on a pair of headphones and then proceed to power it from portable gear and other lesser quality amps/DACs. It's kinda disrespectful to the Abyss in my honest opinion. Don't they see that for $5000 they could have a setup that easily surpasses their current setup? 
confused.gif

My thoughts also. Each to their own though.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #761 of 22,596
perception is stronger than logic.

Hype is stronger than logic.

That's double jeopardy - right there.....!!!

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #762 of 22,596
confused.gif

Good point, but the fact is, the transducer is going to have the greatest influence on the final sound. The Abyss is unique in terms of offering a close to neutral response with high-end technicalities, i.e. HD800 too bright, LCD3 too laid back, etc. The fact is, no expensive amp or DAC is going to make the HD800 or LCD3 sound better than the Abyss from a good sounding modest priced amp.

Abyss + Vali ($120) > ECBA + LCD3 (or whatever similar combo)

My philosophy was always to get the best speaker possible, and try to get by with cheap amps/sources until I upgraded those later.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #764 of 22,596
confused.gif

My thoughts also. Each to their own though.

Agreed but its fun... XD

Yes and I am quite envious.

perception is stronger than logic.

Hype is stronger than logic.

That's double jeopardy - right there.....!!!

Good point, but the fact is, the transducer is going to have the greatest influence on the final sound. The Abyss is unique in terms of offering a close to neutral response with high-end technicalities, i.e. HD800 too bright, LCD3 too laid back, etc. The fact is, no expensive amp or DAC is going to make the HD800 or LCD3 sound better than the Abyss from a good sounding modest priced amp.

Abyss + Vali ($120) > ECBA + LCD3 (or whatever similar combo)

My philosophy was always to get the best speaker possible, and try to get by with cheap amps/sources until I upgraded those later.

Hi All
I want like Purrin said , that Abyss with cheap amp or  in my Case Portable Source  set up Sound Quality from Abyss is very good.
My T + A Tube Pre Amp cost about 12.000 USD , if i pair with high end CD Transport and DAC , The Sound Quality from Abyss is heavenbly
it is slightly better than my Stax Sr 009 in  term of Bass Qyuality 
IMO  

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=287&L=1

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #765 of 22,596
I guess my very good friend is ready for the arrival of his Abyss..........

Sourced by the Lumin Music Player...................

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back