The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #21,451 of 22,483
but at least it's not sr1a where I can't even look down without them shifting
Did you leave the leather strap on the back installed? The leather strap and ZMF co-pilot pad solved the shifting for me. Now, my SR1a shifts much less than the 1266 for me.

May 16, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #21,452 of 22,483
A version of the TC with actually prominent mids would probably be arguably the greatest headphones ever. A bit more comfort would be the icing on the cake but could do without it in that case. I do in fact hope it happens one day.
I think it can be achieved with system matching. R2R DAC, a powerful tube amp and in my case the superconductor cable...actually everything matters in hifi. I am now really happy with the midrange and it is the most important for me.

May 16, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #21,453 of 22,483
I think it can be achieved with system matching. R2R DAC, a powerful tube amp and in my case the superconductor cable...actually everything matters in hifi. I am now really happy with the midrange and it is the most important for me.
Idk man. I'm running about as mid focused as you can't get and it still doesn't fix 1266 quite enough

May 16, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #21,454 of 22,483
I personally don't care about recessed mids. I guess I may be weird in that regard. I'm a bass and treble head. The TCs are perfect for that. I guess if you want a more neutral sound, you can use Mitch's neutral filter.

Also, I've really been digging this album

nYJRms0.png

May 16, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #21,455 of 22,483
It's the source and tube matching that scale the TC to great heights.

May 16, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #21,456 of 22,483
Idk man. I'm running about as mid focused as you can't get and it still doesn't fix 1266 quite enough
Well, it wasn’t till the superconductor cable that it transformed for this complete brain melt experience. But of course it is only my experience.

The Totaldac schould be indeed very good…

May 16, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #21,457 of 22,483
There is only so much you can bring up the mids - otherwise you increase overall spl and have to turn the overall volume down to maintain a comfortable (safe) air pressure at the ear. If you like the prominent bass on the 1266 the way it is, you have to sacrifice further up the spectrum to get that. When I had the 1266 (sold it a couple of weeks back) I enjoyed the overall presentation for what it was - but I just don't get hung up on FR - unless it's obviously out of whack. The TC mids were not missing to my ears.

May 16, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #21,458 of 22,483

It can be improved, but still lags behind significantly compared to other headphones that do well with mids. But yes, I agree that the SC cable and a good tube amp helps.

But I know for most, the mids aren't really going to be an issue given how much people love the visceral impact and bass (which other headphones significantly lag behind btw). Which is totally cool. For me it just ended up being a sticking point.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #21,461 of 22,483
My latest drug with TC is Jackie Evancho. No filters, yes tubes (May-> Freya+ (LISST & Linlai E-6SN7) -> Bliss). Beautiful, strong and fragile at the same time. It's perfect.

I was already considering selling TC because of the weirdness, but now I feel like a princess and I'm in love.

May 22, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #21,462 of 22,483
IMG_1258.jpeg

A new pair from obscure brand (Erzetich Charybdis) is going after the AB1266 monster build, weigh, resolution and soundstage though it’s more sensitive than Meze Elite. As someone who’s used to the AB1266, I probably would not find the size/look/weight too shocking 😬

May 22, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #21,463 of 22,483
IMG_1258.jpeg

A new pair from obscure brand (Erzetich Charybdis) is going after the AB1266 monster build, weigh, resolution and soundstage though it’s more sensitive than Meze Elite. As someone who’s used to the AB1266, I probably would not find the size/look/weight too shocking 😬
It depends really on construction somehow (for me). I can listen to the 1266 hours long but my LCD3 becomes too heavy after half an hour. I had the Phobos, it was like the LCD3 (weight distribution).

May 22, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #21,464 of 22,483
I tried that one. It's very good sounding, with good bass quantity and quality. Ultimately it doesn't reach 1266 level of bass, and the build quality didn't impress me (same with the Spirit Torino stuff). It's also very heavy. The price point is 3k, from the technical aspect i would say it's 100% worth it.

May 22, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #21,465 of 22,483
I tried that one. It's very good sounding, with good bass quantity and quality. Ultimately it doesn't reach 1266 level of bass, and the build quality didn't impress me (same with the Spirit Torino stuff). It's also very heavy. The price point is 3k, from the technical aspect i would say it's 100% worth it.
How does mid range compare with TC?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back