The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #21,421 of 22,483
ç
Not meaning to go too far OT but:

when i searched for this in qobuz and tidal under “silence” in album name nothing came up. i found it by adding todd gustavsen.

Any idea why? Have i missed something?

Likely "Silence" is too common a title and the search engines of Qobuz and Tidal are not smart enough to bring this relatively obscure album to the surface. In general I found Roon a lot smarter with search.

And to keep this on topic, here are another pair of recordings worth listening with the AB-1266. The trick here is to find another headphone that is able to render this material equally well, as it requires opposite and sometime conflicting capabilities from the transducers. Not only the TC succeed with flying colors, but they do it while keeping the listening really exciting, propelling, engaging, highly energetic - which cannot be said of other technically proficient gear.

OC04NzkxLmpwZWc.jpeg

cover_28171626112016_r.jpg

May 9, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #21,423 of 22,483
Can I ask for a link to an xlr adapter for the TT2 available in Europe, preferably in the EU.
Pretty much every Cable manufacturer Will make you one if you email and ask

May 12, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #21,424 of 22,483
Anyone have a fitment nightmare with the 1266? As a bald guy with glasses, I find this headphone incredibly annoying to re-adjust if something happens to it. Usually nothing happens to it because I wear it and set it down But the few times it does, it's awful.

You figure, the grip from the skin on your head and the grip of the glasses makes for a very hard re-adjusting experience. Nailing the center treble acoustic and bass port perfectly with all these things gripping against the earpads, preventing them from just floating as you would like them to is probably one of the most annoying things to do with this headphone (at least in my particular case). But then it's good from there.

May 13, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #21,426 of 22,483
Pretty good metal album

6iC3YpT.png

May 13, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #21,427 of 22,483
Anyone have a fitment nightmare with the 1266? As a bald guy with glasses, I find this headphone incredibly annoying to re-adjust if something happens to it. Usually nothing happens to it because I wear it and set it down But the few times it does, it's awful.

You figure, the grip from the skin on your head and the grip of the glasses makes for a very hard re-adjusting experience. Nailing the center treble acoustic and bass port perfectly with all these things gripping against the earpads, preventing them from just floating as you would like them to is probably one of the most annoying things to do with this headphone (at least in my particular case). But then it's good from there.
Have you tried toeing them out, with the gap in the front and the pads gripping the area behind your ears? That is my favorite setting for the TC. I don’t wear glasses but it seems to me that would be preferred for people wearing glasses as well, because it leaves the area around the temples free.

With this setting, it sits very stable on my head. Due to the grip behind the ears. Almost like a ‘normal’ headphone. :)

Also, it may be necessary to swap out the O-rings to find the best fit. I needed a much larger size.

May 13, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #21,428 of 22,483
Have you tried toeing them out, with the gap in the front and the pads gripping the area behind your ears? That is my favorite setting for the TC. I don’t wear glasses but it seems to me that would be preferred for people wearing glasses as well, because it leaves the area around the temples free.

With this setting, it sits very stable on my head. Due to the grip behind the ears. Almost like a ‘normal’ headphone. :)

Also, it may be necessary to swap out the O-rings to find the best fit. I needed a much larger size.
+1 on the toe ins/outs... or just getting contacts lol.

With glasses and a normal, non-toed in fit, I find the TC will need to clamp and create pressure on your glasses, otherwise the glasses push the earpad out too wide and create a huge, undesirable gap. However, this clamp problem is negated if you just toe in. Relieves all pressure and lets the TC lay flush but loose like you want it to. Had it for over a year and the toe in is essential for wider glasses.

Used to spend hours and hours consecutively and numerously getting that fit down right...never again, thankfully lol.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #21,429 of 22,483
The superconductor arrived on Thursday. Which is actually fantastic, given it was sent on Monday from the USA and I am in Hungary. No paperwork, nothing, customs were already taken care of too. No hassle with the purchase, I paid a price and everything was included. Top!

The price is of course shocking and I needed 3 meters, so that did not helped either. But anyway....

I had the Forza top cable as a placeholder till I hesitated about buying the superconductor. Forza is also in 3 meter. I used the stock cable very shortly, it was too short.

The superconductor is very well built, no cable noise, nothing, very high quality overall but it is expected too given the price.

As for the sound. It does introduce a not small change. The mids move more forward, the music becomes a more insightful, reflective meaning. With the Forza (and from what I remember with the stock cable) the main caracter was a fun, energetic, powerful gestalt and while I could listen every kind of music with the 1266 TC I tended to pick it for electronica. That completly changes with the superconductor cable as human voice for example becomes much more real. Not a small change here. It is also smoother up top but at the same time it seems it is more refined with bass, but not that energetic. But the bass is tricky, because of the adjustment possibilites of the headphone. Opening a larger gap brings back the heft, but it is different nonetheless.

All in all the sound moved from me in a more complete direction and since my zero point in music is the human voice it is a for me indeed a big-big leap forward.

(I also bought an adapter (to 4 pin mini XLR) and that way I can use the superconductor with my ZMF and Audeze headphones...that helped to accept the price. So far I tried shortly with the VO, it seems it work there too, but I need definitely more time with them).

IMG_1365.jpeg
IMG_1366.jpeg
IMG_1361.jpeg

May 13, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #21,430 of 22,483
The superconductor arrived on Thursday. Which is actually fantastic, given it was sent on Monday from the USA and I am in Hungary. No paperwork, nothing, customs were already taken care of too. No hassle with the purchase, I paid a price and everything was included. Top!

The price is of course shocking and I needed 3 meters, so that did not helped either. But anyway....

I had the Forza top cable as a placeholder till I hesitated about buying the superconductor. Forza is also in 3 meter. I used the stock cable very shortly, it was too short.

The superconductor is very well built, no cable noise, nothing, very high quality overall but it is expected too given the price.

As for the sound. It does introduce a not small change. The mids move more forward, the music becomes a more insightful, reflective meaning. With the Forza (and from what I remember with the stock cable) the main caracter was a fun, energetic, powerful gestalt and while I could listen every kind of music with the 1266 TC I tended to pick it for electronica. That completly changes with the superconductor cable as human voice for example becomes much more real. Not a small change here. It is also smoother up top but at the same time it seems it is more refined with bass, but not that energetic. But the bass is tricky, because of the adjustment possibilites of the headphone. Opening a larger gap brings back the heft, but it is different nonetheless.

All in all the sound moved from me in a more complete direction and since my zero point in music is the human voice it is a for me indeed a big-big leap forward.

(I also bought an adapter (to 4 pin mini XLR) and that way I can use the superconductor with my ZMF and Audeze headphones...that helped to accept the price. So far I tried shortly with the VO, it seems it work there too, but I need definitely more time with them).

IMG_1365.jpegIMG_1366.jpegIMG_1361.jpeg
Now thats a setup. Gz man. Ac gear has made me currious for a long time.

Out of curiosity, do you use the storm tank with the genius as well? Or does that go into the wall?

May 13, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #21,431 of 22,483
Now thats a setup. Gz man. Ac gear has made me currious for a long time.

Out of curiosity, do you use the storm tank with the genius as well? Or does that go into the wall?
Everything is on the Stromtank inkl. the Genus. That's why you see a quite high current draw...it can power the system for about 4 hours.

May 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #21,432 of 22,483
Everything is on the Stromtank inkl. the Genus. That's why you see a quite high current draw...it can power the system for about 4 hours.

Do you notice any dynamic issues? I saw that they dint recomend amps on it on their site bit I wasn't sure of lower power stuff like HP amps would be fine or not tbh

May 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #21,433 of 22,483
Do you notice any dynamic issues? I saw that they dint recomend amps on it on their site bit I wasn't sure of lower power stuff like HP amps would be fine or not tbh
I think it depends on the amp. The Genus is class A, it draws the same amount of current, no matter what. Therefore there are no dynamic peaks regarding power compsumtion. The needle of the meter stays always in the same position.

What matters is (in this case) if the max current (power) draw is too high or not. The S1000 can deliver 450W continuos, this system draws about 420W. So it is close, but it goes.

The Stromtank has in-built protection, so you can not do harm to it.

I personaly did not percieved any negative effects, but several positives.

May 13, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #21,434 of 22,483
I think it depends on the amp. The Genus is class A, it draws the same amount of current, no matter what. Therefore there are no dynamic peaks regarding power compsumtion. The needle of the meter stays always in the same position.

What matters is (in this case) if the max current (power) draw is too high or not. The S1000 can deliver 450W continuos, this system draws about 420W. So it is close, but it goes.

The Stromtank has in-built protection, so you can not do harm to it.

I personaly did not percieved any negative effects, but several positives.

Tyvm for tbe Impressions! There is one for a solid discount in the US right now and I've been kinda eyeing it tbh, but wasn't sure if it was a good move or not given I need to plug my amp (aic-10, so I don't think full class A but not positive) into it as well. Guess I'll do some more research. Any chance you've compared against something like a niagara 7000 or P20?

May 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #21,435 of 22,483
Head strength test

Users who are viewing this thread

Back