The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #21,391 of 22,525
Hmm, do you mean 4x MELZ 1578 or just as power tubes? I was thinking about PSvane CV181-TII as driver tubes (or then 4x PSvane CV181-TII if it would be worth it).

And I assume your recommendation would be Supratek Cabernet DHT? :)
You can go with 2x MELZ with something like 2x Ken-Rad VT. I think all modern production stink pretty bad.

My recommendation is go DHT. Be it 300B or 45. It depends on the amplification.

Outright, I would recommend a tube pre over a headamp as you incur much more flexibility.
This is also because headamps with enough drive are more limited naturally.

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #21,392 of 22,525
You can go with 2x MELZ with something like 2x Ken-Rad VT. I think all modern production stink pretty bad.

Outright, I would recommend a tube pre over a headamp as you incur much more flexibility.
Thank you for your comments. They have been very valuable, especially as they have also given me courage to think against mainstream (less parts in the chain == better).

Apr 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #21,393 of 22,525
I'll also add that I got the builder to incorporate a SE headphone jack to my Cabernet DHT, so it has some limited headamp capabilities even though it's a pre. Not enough to direct-drive the Abyss, but sounds sublime with ZMF VCs, for example.

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #21,394 of 22,525
I'll also add that I got the builder to incorporate a SE headphone jack to my Cabernet DHT, so it has some limited headamp capabilities even though it's a pre. Not enough to direct-drive the Abyss, but sounds sublime with ZMF VCs, for example.
That’s similar to my Manley 300B preamp, spec sheet indicates 1W for 100 ohm headphones & 1W for 600 ohm headphones, so it should sound respectably good for ZMF headphones though I’ve never tried them.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #21,395 of 22,525

Ended up ordering Freya+, socket savers and bunch of 6SN7s to play with. It will probably server me for a while and if the upgrade itch hits me later, I can still utilize those 6SN7s and all the knowledge I've gained when I switch to Cabernet DHT and start the final wallet destruction: 300B rolling.

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #21,396 of 22,525
Ended up ordering Freya+, socket savers and bunch of 6SN7s to play with. It will probably server me for a while and if the upgrade itch hits me later, I can still utilize those 6SN7s and all the knowledge I've gained when I switch to Cabernet DHT and start the final wallet destruction: 300B rolling.
Grab VT and MELZ. With Cabernet, go Elrogs and then the Perryman 45 mesh or EML Globe 45 to kick things off hard.

May 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #21,397 of 22,525
Hi all, does anyone know of a good synergistic amp for the TC that doesn't cost as much (or is the size of) as a nice car? Currently using the Violetric V550 Pro which I really like overall but it certainly doesn't do much to help the mid-range issues that the TC has. Any suggestions?

May 1, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #21,398 of 22,525
Hi all, does anyone know of a good synergistic amp for the TC that doesn't cost as much (or is the size of) as a nice car? Currently using the Violetric V550 Pro which I really like overall but it certainly doesn't do much to help the mid-range issues that the TC has. Any suggestions?

I'd suggest to do a trial of the AccurateSound filters first. I feel they do a really good job with the TC. u might end up saving a whole chunk of money.

May 1, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #21,399 of 22,525
the filter works well so does the upgraded cable.....I personally didnt like the 550..had it briefly

May 1, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #21,400 of 22,525
Hi all, does anyone know of a good synergistic amp for the TC that doesn't cost as much (or is the size of) as a nice car?
Not the TC but I’ve been experimenting with the Phi with CC pads and I’ve found two affordable amps that pair really nicely with it and one good higher-end headphone amp.

The first is the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold X, which flies under the radar a bit here on headfi but punches well above its price when on discount. It retails for USD $1k but can be had for much less during Monoprice’s periodic sales. (Ignore its built-in DAC). I don’t know if it’s easy to buy on Australia. It’s the sort of amp that could tide you over until you can buy a high-end one. I recommend it, for its price, because it adds some midrange warmth and presence without compromising the qualities that make the Phi special. The Liquid Gold X is supposedly very close to the original Cavalli version, sound-wise, and I’ve heard that Cavalli tuned his amps with the older Audezes in mind, and they benefited from more forwardness in the vocal regions, not unlike the Abyss, depending on your preferences.

The other affordable amp is the tube hybrid Schiit Mjolnir 2(with WE 396A tubes), which not only slams super hard but also adds some nice warmth and richness to the Phi, again without undermining such qualities as the Abyss’s speed, impact, bass tightness and heft, or its expansive staging.

The pricier amp is the Holo Audio Bliss, which I’ve only had for a few days but already has me excited about the potential for a good synergistic pairing. I’ll report back once I’ve formed some stronger impressions.

May 1, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #21,401 of 22,525
Man, I didn’t really like the 1266 until I tried it with an amp that was the size of a car lol. i’d be interested to find out some thing that was as good as my first watt j2 but smaller.

May 2, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #21,402 of 22,525
Man, I didn’t really like the 1266 until I tried it with an amp that was the size of a car lol. i’d be interested to find out some thing that was as good as my first watt j2 but smaller.

Do you mind sharing impressions on TC/J2 (and maybe, HE6/J2) combo?

May 2, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #21,403 of 22,525
Do you mind sharing impressions on TC/J2 (and maybe, HE6/J2) combo?
Yes, there is a huge jump in a realistic sound to the headphones by a huge degree vs everything else I’ve used. The textures of the voices and instruments are just way more vivid, clear and dimensional without any harshness. A veil being lifted is a good descriptor.

At first I didn’t think the 1266’s were that good but then with the j2 pairing I understood why lots of people think this is one of the best headphones out there.

May 2, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #21,405 of 22,525
Yes, there is a huge jump in a realistic sound to the headphones by a huge degree vs everything else I’ve used. The textures of the voices and instruments are just way more vivid, clear and dimensional without any harshness. A veil being lifted is a good descriptor.

At first I didn’t think the 1266’s were that good but then with the j2 pairing I understood why lots of people think this is one of the best headphones out there.

Thanks for the input. "Huge Degree"... that's nice.

I'm still deciding between "speaker taps" route (e.g. J2, AHB2, etc.) or highly regarded CFA3 for TC, Sus and HE6.

I heard many good comments about J2 but I need a 230V unit which is rarely seen on the classified.

Not sure using a 110-220V transformer is a good idea ... afraid of noise, distortion, etc.

CFA3 is also tempting that I almost pull the trigger as Dukei's delivery time is faster now AFAIK.

Haven't any thought on J2 vs. CFA3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back