The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #21,466 of 22,483
I tried that one. It's very good sounding, with good bass quantity and quality. Ultimately it doesn't reach 1266 level of bass, and the build quality didn't impress me (same with the Spirit Torino stuff). It's also very heavy. The price point is 3k, from the technical aspect i would say it's 100% worth it.
how accurate was Soundnews’ feedback that the Charybdis has bigger soundstage?

May 22, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #21,467 of 22,483
Guys, comparisons are almost not possible, don't even ask for it. You can make detailed comparisons if you have two headphones side by side, for a longer time, in a silent and not distracting environment. With your own music, with your own DAC that you know. These shows are more of a "first glance impression" thing. Even comparing Amps is very hard in those situations, i listened the day before for hours to my Susvara on the Ferrum stack and tried to memorize that, and yes, i can conclude that the Envy is a big step up, that was the one thing which i wanted to know.
My friend compared three ZMF's in the Feliks Audio Showroom, that was better, but more than "this has more soundstage, this one has more treble" is really hard to finalize in the 5-10 minutes you have.
You often conclude your short listening sessions with a "Not for me", "It's ok, but why would i need it, it doesn't beat the stuff i own" or "Oh wow, that's noticeable good and i like it". The Erzetich flagship and the Diana MR got at least in the good second category, maybe even third for me, at least in terms of sound.
Also, they didn't have more than a single 1266 in a showroom, but a lot of Susvaras and Dianas (both TC and MR) all around the fair. I guess that's ok, because you need a hot minute to even get the fit right for a 1266, even more so if you never had one on your head.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #21,468 of 22,483
Today I received a brand new 1266phi in stock from a dealer, as I love og phi > tc so I've been looking for a brand new sale, I finally got it today and played with it to measure, the pairing was perfect, The sound is very satisfying. On the curve, I used two methods to measure, namely the curve when the earmuffs are loose and the curve when the earmuffs are clamped to the head
0bb83b5d54228b5354b1cb37083530c.jpg
a27803295f17b2cea558bdf3849bfff.jpg
3b41b9fb1241592d9d6925bde1e3b44.jpg
a8d16d39af75fa7129880d8f514dbd5.jpg

May 23, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #21,469 of 22,483
I tried that one. It's very good sounding, with good bass quantity and quality. Ultimately it doesn't reach 1266 level of bass, and the build quality didn't impress me (same with the Spirit Torino stuff). It's also very heavy. The price point is 3k, from the technical aspect i would say it's 100% worth it.
Was the comfort improved?

I likely can't be bothered to try Charybdis but I was curious how its weight would translate in the long run.

May 23, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #21,470 of 22,483
Small comparison 1266 Phi vs 1266 TC:
I honestly thought the difference would be bigger. Maybe it's because i already had the new pads on the Phi, maybe my music is not 110% audiophile enough. Yes, there is a difference. The most noticable is the bass, in Leprous' "Have you ever?" the TC has better texture and a slightly deeper rumble. The second thing are voices, they are slightly softer and fuller. S and T consonants are less sharp and a bit more enjoyable on the TC.
The difference is not huge. Maybe 10-15%. The TC is an improvement with slight tweaks. If you have a Phi with the new pads i would not upgrade unless you really want that small enhancement.
Fun fact: The TC is slightly harder to drive, it needs a little bit more power to get to the same volume.

The selfish guy that i am, i will sell my Phi with the old pads and headband so i have an extra pair around (i got it with both old and new pads). But the buyer gets the OG leather bag, so that's something.

@paradoxper yeah it's heavy. If you're bothered by weight this is not for you. It's at least old Audeze level weight.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #21,471 of 22,483
Small comparison 1266 Phi vs 1266 TC:
I honestly thought the difference would be bigger. Maybe it's because i already had the new pads on the Phi, maybe my music is not 110% audiophile enough. Yes, there is a difference. The most noticable is the bass, in Leprous' "Have you ever?" the TC has better texture and a slightly deeper rumble. The second thing are voices, they are slightly softer and fuller. S and T consonants are less sharp and a bit more enjoyable on the TC.
The difference is not huge. Maybe 10-15%. The TC is an improvement with slight tweaks. If you have a Phi with the new pads i would not upgrade unless you really want that small enhancement.
Fun fact: The TC is slightly harder to drive, it needs a little bit more power to get to the same volume.

The selfish guy that i am, i will sell my Phi with the old pads and headband so i have an extra pair around (i got it with both old and new pads). But the buyer gets the OG leather bag, so that's something.

@paradoxper yeah it's heavy. If you're bothered by weight this is not for you. It's at least old Audeze level weight.
I found the detail extraction and tactility quite a bit better on the TC. Agreed that both are killer headphones, but I'd say it's a worthwhile upgrade to my ears in my setup (Chord DAVE / Enleum 23R).

May 24, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #21,473 of 22,483
Do you guys wear loose or a little tight for this headphone?
Loose, I just asked this question a few weeks ago here.

It took me a really long time but after testing multiple O rings, the 217's finally work for me. I was about ready to sell due to the fitment since it was always too tight, too clamped on my head, which caused the bass to be lacking and it was uncomfortable. For me the 217's created a relaxed loose fit that was comfortable with a broken seal so that I was able to truly experience the 1266 TC bass without having to physically pull the band and drivers away from my head to create that broken seal.

Good luck with finding your fit, you'll get it eventually and its worth the struggle. Do yourself a favor and buy the variety pack of O rings from the beginning so its faster to find the right size for you.

May 24, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #21,474 of 22,483
Anyone ever tried the SC cable with a Susvara (ofc with the needed adapter)?

May 24, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #21,475 of 22,483
I would love to see comments also. Finding a two-birds-with-one-stone solution for TC and sus (w/ one single upgrade cable)

JPS SC / DHC Prion4 / Lazuli Reference Plus ... any thoughts?

May 24, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #21,476 of 22,483
I would love to see comments also. Finding a two-birds-with-one-stone solution for TC and sus (w/ one single upgrade cable)

Well I use it with VO and LCD3 (with adapter) and thus far I don’t have an itch to change anything.

And I rather don’t think about the fact that the cable costs more then the aforementioned two headphones.

May 24, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #21,477 of 22,483
I was wondering because one of the features of the SC cable is to improve mids on the 1266. The Susvara is supposed to have great mids already, thus it would maybe end up getting too much of them with Abyss's cable?
Don't own the Susvara (yet).

May 24, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #21,478 of 22,483
I was wondering because one of the features of the SC cable is to improve mids on the 1266. The Susvara is supposed to have great mids already, thus it would maybe end up getting too much of them with Abyss's cable?
Don't own the Susvara (yet).

That's what I am assuming too.

May 24, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #21,479 of 22,483

Not on this list, but DHC chimera seems to work well with both cans. I haven't tried SC, but chimera has the realy nice incision and clarity of prion 4 with a bit more body. Probabaly my favorite sus cable currently

May 24, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #21,480 of 22,483
Chimera is too pricey for me as I still need funds to improve some other areas first. I, however, am glad you're happy with this beast. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back