THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Feb 14, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #166 of 687
Quote:
Does the intruder USB work with an ipod?

I does not. You might consider adding a clas. It is a sweet sounding combo!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #167 of 687
Quote:
Yes we can.
Parts & labor are free of charge customer pays shipping fee only.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

You're a class act Ray Samuels. 
gs1000.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #168 of 687
Quote:
Yes we can.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Thank you very much Ray. I was supposed to package up and give you my SR-71B after last year's Tokyo Show but never got a chance to see you when the event finished. I'll be sending over my SR-71B to you soon.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #169 of 687
I have never had a battery fail or any other component go bad in an RSA amp or amp/dac over the years I have had them. That is saying something about quality and workmanship.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #170 of 687
Quote:
Yes we can.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

What is the change described between these models?
Is it documented somewhere in this thread?

Is the "upgrade" available for Protectors too?

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #172 of 687
[size=medium]Hi everyone,[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] First, thanks for all the info on this board! I haven't posted before but have been reading and using the info to make better informed purchases. Thanks.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Regarding he intruder I just wanted to give my two cents. I bought it not knowing the the DAC was limited to 16-48. This bummed me out as I was using a Peachtree Nova that has a highly respected DAC and I didn't want to take a step back with the Intruder. So when the Intruder arrived I immediately wanted to A/B it against the Nova. I'm using RS1 and JH-13. I know I'm comparing the complete packages of the nova and the Intruder and not the individual components. That being said I was astounded by how much better the Intruder sounded. To my ears it was night and day. The Intruder sounded more transparent, larger sound stage, better separation and more "real" sounding for lack of a better word. Maybe it would sound even better with a better DAC but I'm not worried about that, I love this amp. Since I wasn't using the Nova's speaker capabilities I sold it. I briefly thought about moving it to another place in the house but instead I'm just moving the Intruder as needed, so far this isn't a problem but we'll see…[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] And then I got Silver Dragon balanced cables and was startled by the balanced experience. On first listen I actually didn't like it. I felt I was being distracted by all the instrument separation. Every little sound was coming from a more distinct place and asking for my attention when I just wanted to sit back and listen. This was most apparent when listening to great vocalists like Emmylou Harris. I care more about her voice than pinpointing the location if the guitar compared to the drums. I wondered if the balanced functionality was going to get little use. I then watch a movie in balanced mode and was Thrilled! All the separation really gave the movie a 3D feel. After that experience I went back to music and found I enjoyed the balanced experience much more, like my mind had adjusted in some way. What ever it was I'm just over the top pleased with Ray's Intruder and now always prefer it balanced. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Now I want to see what other full size headphones might sound like with this amp/dac. I've never heard any of the Hi-fi Man or LCD-3 but really want to. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I'm not that into speakers (yet) but do have a pair of Audioengine5+ speakers and found improvement over using an AudioQuest DragonFly so got rid of that also. So that's my anecdotal comparison of the Intruder to the only other audio gear I've used. I just like the Intruder much much more. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Looking forward to learning more from you all, thanks. [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] All the best,[/size]
[size=medium] Isaac[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #173 of 687
Great review and thoughts. Implementation. The balanced mode is all I use on the Intruder, I don't want to miss out on anything. The HD650 is ok but in balanced it comes to life and they work great with the Intruder. I have the JH13 and with those I get some of the best sound I have heard from them and the Intruder.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #175 of 687
Thanks for your great review, Isaac! 
wink.gif

Quote:
[size=medium]Maybe it would sound even better with a better DAC but I'm not worried about that, I love this amp. [/size]

I believe it does. I paired DACmini with The Intruder to drive HE-500 in balanced mode. It was amazing! 
atsmile.gif

Furthermore, I think it's a bargain to spend $50 on a DAC like the one in The Intruder. 
wink_face.gif
 I compared the DAC in The Intruder and HP-P1's. (using HP-P1's LO to connect The Intruder's SE input) Though I feel HP-P1 has a better DAC, the gap is marginal to me. (without A/B Test, I even cannot distinguish the difference between sounds from these two DACs)

[size=medium]Now I want to see what other full size headphones might sound like with this amp/dac. I've never heard any of the Hi-fi Man or LCD-3 but really want to. [/size]

Can't wait to see your review of pairing The Intruder with LCD-3. I also used "HP-P1(as a DAC) + The Intruder" to drive HiFiMAN's HE-500 in balanced mode. Though this combo isn't as great as the combo using DACmini as a DAC, it was still stunning. 
L3000.gif
 The Intruder is another artwork made by Ray. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #176 of 687
[size=medium]Contrary to what I said (one post and I'm already contradicting myself!) I would [/size][size=medium]totally like to[/size][size=small] try the Intruder with different DACs, always interested in firsthand experience and learning what our tools are truly capable of.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] After reading the forums today I'm leaning towards getting the HE-6. I don't have a dedicated speaker amp yet so would be using the HE-6's with the Intruder in the interim. I've read that HeadphoneAddict thought this combo was OK, surely there are better pairing but maybe this is a reasonable way to build towards a stationary system? To that end does anyone have a recommendation where to get a balanced cable to connect the HE-6 to the intruder. I have only used Moon Audio (and am very happy with their Silver Dragon cable for the JH-13's) but maybe there is a more budget option that is also good?[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Happily logged 6 hours listening to the Intruder today.   :)[/size]

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #179 of 687
Quote:
my SR71B has channel imbalance running with SE output... Have you guys ever experienced that?

So are you saying that balanced that R and L are in correct balanced but single ended this changes and you have a shift to R or L?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back