The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #556 of 606
I got my D12 today and I'm extremely happy with it! I get a lot more detail out of my music, and it feels stronger and more refined.
The only critique I could give is the lack of a manual. Even on their website you can't find a whole lot of information. 
I would especially like a bit more information concerning the opamp rolling. I see I got one from Analog Devices and then two chips who seem to be bypassed by a diode. 
Am I correct to state that the gain switch should be up for higher impedant headphones?

Edited a stupid fault.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #557 of 606
Yes I guess my MBP uses a notch filter to filter out the 50Hz (Europe) and leaves the other frequencies.  But the P5 is only 26 Ohm so if I'm not mistaken current will be more of a problem than output voltage. 

Yes, with 26 Ohm headphones you need a bit more current, a bit less voltage.
My D12 works fine with my 62 Ohm Q701 'phones. The Q701 are not a very efficient headphone, I suspect if the D12 can drive Q701 it can drive any typical low impedance headphone.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #558 of 606
I got my D12 today and I'm extremely happy with it! I get a lot more detail out of my music, and it feels stronger and more refined.
The only critique I could give is the lack of a manual. Even on their website you can't find a whole lot of information. 
I would especially like a bit more information concerning the opamp rolling. I see I got one from Analog Devices and then two ships who seem to be bypassed by a diode. 
Am I correct to state that the gain switch should be up for higher impedant headphones?

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the D12!

I usually leave the gain switch down, If you are turning the volume control way up, then turn the gain switch up to get more volume.

There is a lot of good information about Op Amp rolling in this thread. Try using the thread search button.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #559 of 606
Quote:
I would especially like a bit more information concerning the opamp rolling. I see I got one from Analog Devices and then two ships who seem to be bypassed by a diode. 

I tend to use the high gain for everything as I like the sound a little better. For some phones, the high gain is needed. It doesn't increase the power, just the output volume of the amp.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #560 of 606
Ok thank you for the input. I've read the whole thread but to be honest the information is posted by bits and pieces and not it's not always very clear what is meant. I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/543180/opamps-for-dummies-ibasso-d12 thread more helpful. 
But I still have a few questions to see if I understood everything:
Normally the only difference between the opamp and the buffer is that the buffers are optimised for unity gain use. So if I wanted I could put the red opamps in the silver's place but it would probably not help the sound quality? 

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #561 of 606
Quote:
Ok thank you for the input. I've read the whole thread but to be honest the information is posted by bits and pieces and not it's not always very clear what is meant. I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/543180/opamps-for-dummies-ibasso-d12 thread more helpful. 
But I still have a few questions to see if I understood everything:
Normally the only difference between the opamp and the buffer is that the buffers are optimised for unity gain use. So if I wanted I could put the red opamps in the silver's place but it would probably not help the sound quality? 

Too bad there wasn't more participation in the Op Amps for Dummies iBasso D12 thread.

I'm not sure if you can swap the red with the silver.
I would assume the answer is no!
redface.gif

Before you swap any out, make sure you make a drawing of the original layout and make sure you understand where Pin 1 is. Good luck!
biggrin.gif

Lately I've been using LMH6643 with Dummy Buffers. Seemed to work well with my Q701. Can't remember why!
I'll have to try swapping some around again, I haven't done any swapping in the D12 for almost 2 years....
blink.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #563 of 606
is the dac stage on the d12 any better or an improvement on the Essence ST or the fiio e17. have the essence and the fiio and a dedicated tube amp.  cheers

I own the E17 and the D12.
I don't think there is a huge difference in sound quality between the two.
I certainly don't think the D12 is an upgrade from the E17 DAC.

I've never tried comparing the two pieces as headphone amps though.

If you really are serious about a DAC upgrade, then you are really looking at something like an Audiolab M-DAC, for example.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #565 of 606
What is the sound floor like on the d12? I remember my pico ownership days, and I just loved the silence and deep black background of that amp.

Does the d12 compare anywhere near?

Suppose it is academic as I specifically want optical connection, but still nice to hear others opinions.

It's the only amp I own that is quiet enough to use with my Shure SE210 IEMs. :D

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #567 of 606
I'm looking for an amp to make my RWAK100 sound like my DX100. I use UE PRMs. Do you think the D12 fits the bill? Does the D12 sound like the DX100?

The main difference in SQ I've noticed between the RWAK100 and my DX100 is the sound stage is a bit less wide on the RWAK100. That's what I'd like to improve.

Does the D12 have that splendid soundstage of the DX100?

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #568 of 606
I'm looking for an amp to make my RWAK100 sound like my DX100. I use UE PRMs. Do you think the D12 fits the bill? Does the D12 sound like the DX100?

The main difference in SQ I've noticed between the RWAK100 and my DX100 is the sound stage is a bit less wide on the RWAK100. That's what I'd like to improve.

Does the D12 have that splendid soundstage of the DX100?

I'm not too sure what you are looking for?
I find soundstage is predominantly based on the headphone I am using.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #569 of 606
I'm not too sure what you are looking for?
I find soundstage is predominantly based on the headphone I am using.

Here's my situation. I'm comparing the SQ between my DX100 and my RWAK100. The DX100‘s sound stage is much wider. I would like to get a similar sound out of my RWAK100. I was hoping using it's optical out, into the D12, might make it sound more like my DX100.

What do you think?

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #570 of 606
Here's my situation. I'm comparing the SQ between my DX100 and my RWAK100. The DX100‘s sound stage is much wider. I would like to get a similar sound out of my RWAK100. I was hoping using it's optical out, into the D12, might make it sound more like my DX100.

What do you think?

Sorry man, I know almost nothing about the DX100.....:xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back