The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Sep 26, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #62 of 606
I don't think there is room. If a high voltage batter where used, it would have been of lower mA's so the run time would have been pretty short. When the new super batteries come out some time in the future (nano tubes that will more than increase storage by 10 times for the same space) the storage will allow for a little battery of higher voltage to also have plenty of ampere reserve. Imagine a AAA with 10 amps of reserve. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #63 of 606
Understand, it would make the D12 bigger and more expensive. Those future batteries won't come cheap. I'm just amazed that the D12 is only $285 with an opamp rolling kit. When the D10 first came out, it was $275.

They might even sell it less if you tell them to not include the "optical cable, USB cable, 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect, rubber feet, OPAMP rolling kit". 
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
I don't think there is room. If a high voltage batter where used, it would have been of lower mA's so the run time would have been pretty short. When the new super batteries come out some time in the future (nano tubes that will more than increase storage by 10 times for the same space) the storage will allow for a little battery of higher voltage to also have plenty of ampere reserve. Imagine a AAA with 10 amps of reserve. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #64 of 606
am I wrong to expect that the DAC performance will almost be identical to D4? maybe just a slight (if any) change due to optical in?

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #65 of 606

Quote:
am I wrong to expect that the DAC performance will almost be identical to D4? maybe just a slight (if any) change due to optical in?

It should be about the same but with the optical or coax input, which I prefer over USB, it might be a bit better. Time, as usual, will tell. I look forward to impressions. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #66 of 606
had the D10 and sold it. I'm still considering buying a new DAC so D12 is tempting. 
look forward to impressions and topkit rollings that will soon follow
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #67 of 606
Emailed iBasso and they replied that black version will be available in the next batch. Also the phone out is better than SE on the Toucan. That coupled with DAC performance comparable to D4 make it very tempting. 

First batch is already out of stock. That's really fast...

Sep 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #68 of 606
i actually like the silver/ grey color...

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #71 of 606
As I have been in contact with iBasso regarding their choice of opamps for the D12, I am not sure that I will be able to develop a Topkit that will improve on the sound of the D12 with stock opamps.   As I should be receiving my D12 shortly, it will be interesting to see what the possibilities are.   The limiting factor on the use of different opamps is, of course, the 5v power supply. 

I will supply a D12 Topkit only if I can provide a significant sound improvement over the stock configuration or same SQ with improved battery run time. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #72 of 606
That's too bad. By the way, which opamps and buffers are stock? What's included in the rolling package?

Quote:
As I have been in contact with iBasso regarding their choice of opamps for the D12, I am not sure that I will be able to develop a Topkit that will improve on the sound of the D12 with stock opamps.   As I should be receiving my D12 shortly, it will be interesting to see what the possibilities are.   The limiting factor on the use of different opamps is, of course, the 5v power supply. 

I will supply a D12 Topkit only if I can provide a significant sound improvement over the stock configuration or same SQ with improved battery run time. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #73 of 606

Quote:

Ron, how about the AD8656 and AD8616? For that matter the AD8066 and AD797 in a dual single to dual amp adapter.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #74 of 606

Quote:
Ron, how about the AD8656 and AD8616? For that matter the AD8066 and AD797 in a dual single to dual amp adapter.

Both the AD8656 and 8616 are dual opamps, so only one would be needed.  You could use one AD8066 or 2 AD8065 single channel opamps.  All of the SOIC opamps would need to be mounted on DIP adapters.  I doubt that the AD797 will work with only 5v.    There are a couple of Linear opamps that should sound good in the D12.  Many of the better sounding Linear opamps are single-channel and could easily be biased for Class A operation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back