The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Oct 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #91 of 606
Yeah, I don't get it, the LED's are often way too bright. 

So mine was shipped out at the same time but for some reason got held up in the airport in China and there it sits. So more impressions from you'all. :^)

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #93 of 606

Quote:
im still trying to figure out how they get the package from china to los angeles in 2 days. every other company's packages take a week or more

You have to play for the express shipping. When I bought my Toucan from ibasso I played for the express shipping with UPS which was like $25 and it got to Dallas 2-3 days.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #94 of 606
I chose the cheapest option (which was $22) and got it in four days....which is amazing considering the China--->US delivery.

With past ibasso orders, I've learned there is a unexplainable difference in shipping times.  When the D10 came out, I ordered it in the first hour it was available...but received it over a week after others who had ordered after me. I think this is due to the joys/quirks of international shipping.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #96 of 606

Quote:
I am wondering to order either pb1-toucan or anaconda since both are available now, can anyone offer me their advice

Do you want to go balanced or single ended? With the Toucan you can go balanced or single ended while the Anaconda offers SE but with a dual dac incorporated into the package, which would make it half the size of the Toucan and Boomslang. Also, if only SE, I am not sure what would sound better, the Anaconda or Toucan. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #97 of 606

Quote:
Do you want to go balanced or single ended? With the Toucan you can go balanced or single ended while the Anaconda offers SE but with a dual dac incorporated into the package, which would make it half the size of the Toucan and Boomslang. Also, if only SE, I am not sure what would sound better, the Anaconda or Toucan. 

thank you jamato8, I have balanced jh13 and hd650, in the process of getting a balanced cable for hd800, but I have tons of gears SE. already have rsa protector with me, but most of the times i am using my SE amps, I guess anaconda might be better choice for me

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #98 of 606

Quote:
thank you jamato8, I have balanced jh13 and hd650, in the process of getting a balanced cable for hd800, but I have tons of gears SE. already have rsa protector with me, but most of the times i am using my SE amps, I guess anaconda might be better choice for me

If you have many things balanced why do you stay SE? I mean, it doesn't matter, what ever sounds best to you. I understand the SE of the Anaconda is supposed to be very good and the balanced of the Toucan is excellent also and then there is the Boomslang balanced dac. I enjoy using both the Protector and the Toucan as they sound a little different. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #99 of 606

Quote:
The D4 uses a 9 volt battery, and the D10 uses a 4.7 volt rechargeable. That gives the D4 more power as well as larger voltage swings.  In order to increase the power of the D10, they'd likely have to move away from the rechargeable lithium battery.

EDIT: BTW, there are opamps for the D10 that will increase the current, at the expense of battery life and possibly sound signature.

haha the lithium based battery cells I use in my portable DIY sabre are capable of 120 amps burst and up to 60amps continuous discharge, meaning they can empty themselves in a matter of minutes. still need more current than lithium  batteries can provide?

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #100 of 606
Well, although I wasn't planning to do this, I couldn't help myself and spent some time last night rolling LR opamps in my D12.   I found that many of the ones I had on hand did not make any major improvment in SQ, but several sounded quite good:   LMH6622, LT1358, AD744OBCA, and the best of all, the OPA637BP.  While this is a *very* expensive opamp and does require quite a bit of quiescent current, it sounds superb in the D12.  It gives a weight and impact to the sound that is lacking in the others, but still is able to render delicate detail quite accurately.  Instrument tonality is outstanding.  

If I remember correctly, the OPA627/637 didn't last long in my D10 as it is operating right on the edge of its voltage requirement at 5v, but for some reason, it has not yet quit and I have probably run the battery for 8 hours before installing them.  They have played for about 6 hours today before I put it on the charger and was still going strong. 

I have not yet tried other buffers, but the stock buffers seem to do a very good job. 

The new style case really makes for quick changes....I just leave the top off and swap/listen/swap/listen...etc!

Another consideration besides cost when using the OPA637BP is that it is supposed to be stable at gains above 5, however I have found it to be stable at low gain (+3) in my D12. 

The rolling WILL continue!

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #101 of 606
So much for settling into the D12's stock sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #102 of 606
Cool, since I just bought 4 OPA627APs, two for an amp I'm waiting for and two for..., well now all I need is a D12.
ksc75smile.gif
  Guess I'll just have to wait for the next batch, Oct. 10th.

Quote:
Well, although I wasn't planning to do this, I couldn't help myself and spent some time last night rolling LR opamps in my D12.   I found that many of the ones I had on hand did not make any major improvment in SQ, but several sounded quite good:   LMH6622, LT1358, AD744OBCA, and the best of all, the OPA637BP.  While this is a *very* expensive opamp and does require quite a bit of quiescent current, it sounds superb in the D12.  It gives a weight and impact to the sound that is lacking in the others, but still is able to render delicate detail quite accurately.  Instrument tonality is outstanding.  

If I remember correctly, the OPA627/637 didn't last long in my D10 as it is operating right on the edge of its voltage requirement at 5v, but for some reason, it has not yet quit and I have probably run the battery for 8 hours before installing them.  They have played for about 6 hours today before I put it on the charger and was still going strong. 

I have not yet tried other buffers, but the stock buffers seem to do a very good job. 

The new style case really makes for quick changes....I just leave the top off and swap/listen/swap/listen...etc!

Another consideration besides cost when using the OPA637BP is that it is supposed to be stable at gains above 5, however I have found it to be stable at low gain (+3) in my D12. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #103 of 606

Quote:

Fantastic! Just what I am looking for! 

So now most of the opamps will only provide marginal improvements.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #104 of 606

Quote:
Fantastic! Just what I am looking for! 

So now most of the opamps will only provide marginal improvements.

There are many opamps that will probably result in improvements in some area or another, but iBasso has chosen an excellent combination of opamps for both LR and buffers.  They combine great sound, good battery life and about as good current output as can be realized from 5v.   

While other opamps, such as the OPA637BP can result in an improvement in sound, there are always trade-offs, such as battery life.   I can only relate what I have found that, IMO, results in an overall improvement.   I don't look for combinations that  exaggerate any part of the audio spectrum.  I like my sound to be as close to the source as possible, not only tonally, but also in soundstage and imaging.  

Realistically, all opamps are probably 75% similar in sound with the remaining 25% being some combination of differences, either tonally, warmer, more neutral, etc.  It is not night and day difference, especially at the level of performance that is present in the D12.

The opamps I mentioned sounded very good in the D12 and I am sure that I will find other combinations that also sound good to my ears, but may not be the choice of others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back